Alexx V - Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Wilson Audio Footer 2021-03-30_5-31-01.jpg

I've known Wilson was going to release a new footer but thought it would be a general release. The Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode (WAAD?) will debut with the Alexx V and become available for other speakers, I believe - at least Wilson intimates that but has not announced separate product. Below is information in the Alexx V press kit.

The Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode™

The Process
The Wilson Audio Special Applications Engineering® (WASAE) Team has always
approached the challenge of vibration mitigation from a scientific perspective. Once the
science surrounding the elements to be deployed is acutely understood, the art of the
project can begin.

While designing the Pedestal®, a very effective tool used under audio equipment, the
objective of this device was to isolate the equipment chassis from vibrations entering
the gear from the surface it’s installed on.

Wilson Audio has successfully employed extremely precise laser vibrometer testing
equipment for well over a decade and a variety of other analysis systems previous to
these tools. Valuable data collected from this equipment during dozens of product
development cycles, including the R&D of Pedestal, gave the WASAE Team greater
insights into the complexities of vibration management under loudspeakers. Putting to
use their industry-leading understanding and material measurement database, the Team
set the lofty goal of improving upon an element of the loudspeaker that traditionally has
been very good for Wilson Audio.

The Mechanics
Loudspeakers interact with their environment in two primary ways. First, with pressure
originating from the driver’s diaphragm and second, the vibrations directed into the
floor from the enclosure through the speaker’s footers, or “spikes.” The first is what
audiophiles and music lovers hope to experience in its most powerful, engagingly
elegant, and intimately emotion ways when their system is turned on. The second is the
area of exploration, and the primary focus, of this amazingly functional Acoustic Diode
system .

An improved spike system would have to minimize vibration from the enclosure going
into the ground while simultaneously diminishing unwanted vibrations from be
transmitted up into the enclosure. We have seen and scrutinized many ways the
interface of loudspeakers to the floor are addressed. Many companies simply develop
spikes to isolate the loudspeaker from the floor. These methods with elastomeric
materials, ceramic bearings, and a wide variety of other designs can allow the
loudspeaker to move in parallel with the drivers. Unfortunately, these micromovements
can sonically present themselves as smearing, colorations, and various forms of
distortion during musical playback. These artifacts can add an effect to the music that
may be initially interesting and possibly exciting. The reality, however, is the fidelity of
the recording has been altered.

To remedy this, direct coupling to the floor is needed while, at the same time, not
providing an easy path for vibrations to be injected into the ground.

The Science
Building upon the research and development of Pedestal, the Special Applications
Engineering Team is excited to announce the Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode™ (AD Spike
for short). At the heart of the Acoustic Diode is our proprietary “V-Material.” This
superior constrained layer damping composite is unsurpassed in vibration absorption
and resonance control.

Energy from the enclosure migrates into the V-Material where it is faced with the
effective damping properties of this efficient material. The mass of the loudspeaker
concentrated onto the very small ends of the spike tips results in significant levels of PSI
that prevent detrimental vibrations from traveling upward into the footer. Those
vibrations that do travel up the spike are absorbed by the mass of the Acoustic Diode
and have to travel through the V-Material to have a chance to influence the enclosure.
Keeping the spike and threaded post separate prevent a direct path for vibrations to
travel, or interplay, and are therefore dissipated and absorbed in either the V-Material or
the footer housing.

This distinctive design, combined with advanced vibration-mitigating materials, provides
the best of both worlds; a solid base from which the drivers can launch as well as
preventing the transmission of energy from the floor to the loudspeakers.

Separation in the Assembly
A machined V-Material insert is inset into the robust austenitic stainless-steel diode
housing. A stainless-steel post is then threaded into this exclusive V-Material, never
touching the diode component. On the bottom of the diode, a spike is threaded into the
diode housing, but it does not couple with the V-Material insert. Once the Acoustic
Diodes are installed into the loudspeaker, only the V-Material section of the diode comes
in contact with the bottom of the loudspeaker.

Screenshot_2021-03-30 Wilson Audio Alexx V(1).png

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
How much Tim

$1000 per spike or something stupid like that?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Um-- didn't Goldmund have the mana on that concept last century ;) ?

My Theta Player had one only at the back

Hmm Wilson opt for 4 outlets--interesting , will await reports.

BruceD

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
If they are truly $1000 per spike I'll never know what they sound like!

I'll just suffer with my original Alexx as is! :cool:

George

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Maybe if you place the same amount of dollar bills under your speakers it has the same effect..

You could try it with different bills (20 dollar vs 100 dollar bills etc.) Please give us the outcome ...

Reactions: Daverich4

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Anyone installed these new diodes on their speakers yet? If so, what’s the verdict?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The Wilson diodes come standard with the Alexx V's that I recently purchased. I haven't commented in great detail on them yet in my Alexx V thread because I spent most of the summer fine-tuning the system for speaker placement and other assorted tweaks.

However, even if I wanted to comment on the diodes, how on earth could I possibly do that since it would require an extraordinary effort to substitute something else for them in order to assess only their performance (additive or subtractive). Simply put, it ain't gonna happen. I'm more than happy knowing that Daryl and his team have done that work already and chose to sell the speaker with the new diodes for what are surely very good reasons. No need to re-invent the wheel here.

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
has anyone installed these new diodes on their speakers yet? If so, what’s the verdict?
Installed last night on my Wilson Grand Slamm v3.
Wife (severe critic) sat unattentively listening while facebooking, and after an hour commented that the music (classical) sounded more defined and tonal realistic. i had said nothing as wanted an honest/unbiased opinion.
Yes, the improvement was definitely audibly improved (towards natural and realistic) in the mids without emphasized highs and the bass quicker and cleaner (real again).She asked how can this be with 'just footers'?
I know the hype, but honestly did not expect to immediately hear such an improvement, and the system does sound wonderful without them. No going back now and very pleased with the addition.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Installed last night on my Wilson Grand Slamm v3.
Wife (severe critic) sat unattentively listening while facebooking, and after an hour commented that the music (classical) sounded more defined and tonal realistic. i had said nothing as wanted an honest/unbiased opinion.
Yes, the improvement was definitely audibly improved (towards natural and realistic) in the mids without emphasized highs and the bass quicker and cleaner (real again).She asked how can this be with 'just footers'?
I know the hype, but honestly did not expect to immediately hear such an improvement, and the system does sound wonderful without them. No going back now and very pleased with the addition.
Just wondering what surface your footers are sitting on. Is it hardwood floor or carpeting? Is the system on the ground floor or above? And what can you tell us about the house structure: is this a frame house or brick or ... and especially the walls.

As you might guess, folks like myself here in the S.F. Bay, with frame housing and typical plaster board walls, where the ground floor is sitting on either hardwood, or carpet on top of hardwood, with concrete below are going to find sending vibrations from the speaker out may well get a different (more or less pronounced) impact in using these new footers.

As for the difference in speakers, I've no clue whether the larger ones like yours will show a greater benefit than, say my Alexia 2's.

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Just wondering what surface your footers are sitting on. Is it hardwood floor or carpeting? Is the system on the ground floor or above? And what can you tell us about the house structure: is this a frame house or brick or ... and especially the walls.

As you might guess, folks like myself here in the S.F. Bay, with frame housing and typical plaster board walls, where the ground floor is sitting on either hardwood, or carpet on top of hardwood, with concrete below are going to find sending vibrations from the speaker out may well get a different (more or less pronounced) impact in using these new footers.

As for the difference in speakers, I've no clue whether the larger ones like yours will show a greater benefit than, say my Alexia 2's.
My room (17x30x12) with hardwood floors on concrete, wood framed with plaster and very open to other areas.
IDK re Alexia 2 but I would just ask Wilson/Jerrod for their opinion and take it with a grain of salt but they have been straight forward and helpful when I've queried about Wilson products. CM LS ~ $750 ea, Stillpoint ~$1,400 ea, WA AD ~$400 ea.
Price did play a role in my selection, but the ADs are very good in my system.

Reactions: Dishman442

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
My room (17x30x12) with hardwood floors on concrete, wood framed with plaster and very open to other areas.
IDK re Alexia 2 but I would just ask Wilson/Jerrod for their opinion and take it with a grain of salt but they have been straight forward and helpful when I've queried about Wilson products. CM LS ~ $750 ea, Stillpoint ~$1,400 ea, WA AD ~$400 ea.
Price did play a role in my selection, but the ADs are very good in my system.
Thanks. Sorry but who is Jerrod? Certainly wouldn’t use any non-Wilson footer. My experience has been that, at least for this type of application, I’ve had the most success relying on the manufacturer of the core product, unless of course they have no product specific device In their lineup. Then it’s just a try and buy situation. Like ISO Acoustic or AVRoomService for speaker isolation.

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
Thanks. Sorry but who is Jerrod? Certainly wouldn’t use any non-Wilson footer. My experience has been that, at least for this type of application, I’ve had the most success relying on the manufacturer of the core product, unless of course they have no product specific device In their lineup. Then it’s just a try and buy situation. Like ISO Acoustic or AVRoomService for speaker isolatioyA mist

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
STEVE.
My mistake. I believe it is Jerrone, not Jerrod. He is customer service at Wilson Audio and responsive.
Agreed that the safest route is usually with the manufacturer, and in this case a well reputed one as Wilson.
Please let us know what you end up keeping and the results.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Well I've been waiting for my dealer to get back with me on his experience with installing these new diodes in customer homes. Glad you chimed in nonetheless. I'll contact Jerrone and see if he's got any feedback/guidance.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Jim Austin’s conclusion on theAlexx V: ‘The Alexx V is the work of a disciplined, experienced, serious designer.’ woooow quite a decent attempt to prevent using “Lack of” and ”emotion” in a sentence ;)

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Jim Austin’s conclusion on theAlexx V: ‘The Alexx V is the work of a disciplined, experienced, serious designer.’ woooow quite a decent attempt to prevent using “Lack of” and ”emotion” in a sentence ;)
Sorry, but who’s Austin, and how does he figure in a thread on a Wilson diode as opposed to a speaker? Did you mean to put this in another thread?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing