All Quiet On The Western Front 2022

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I think I have seen both of the prior versions of this film but yesterday we watched this current version streamed via Netflix. I have to admit that I was not prepared for how great a film this really is . At almost 2 1/2 hours and with the film in spoken in German and 100% subtitles we were immersed in this film from start to finish. It is a gut wrenching look at the reality and brutality of war through the eyes of young and wet behind the ears of young German students who went from classroom to the war room thinking this would be an adventure and the naivety of their feelings until they reached the front line and their lives quickly turned.

So far this year my favorite movies as Oscar contenders were initially Elvis and the the Fabelmans. I hated Banshees and hated even more Everything, Everywhere. I also really liked The Whale but not as best movie but rather Brendan Fraser's role which will win him the Oscar. So also I like Tar but again for Cate Blanchett's portrayal which will also earn her the Oscar. What people see in Banshee's and Everything eludes me and judging from the Golden Globes and Critics' Choice Awards the favorite seems to be Everything.....I would suggest those interested with this remake of All's Quiet on the Western Front. For me this stands out as my vote for Best Film. Long film, but you won't be looking at your watch.

Thumb's up....way up

Reactions: jeff1225

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I preferred 1917 a few years ago. agreed, this one was too long. the scene with the flamethrowers was pretty crazy.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I'm really looking forward to seeing this film as I love war movies.

Just thought I'd say that I loved Banshees. Art is, however, subjective.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Great review Steve, I agree with you 100%. The movie was visually stunning and well acted. I’ve watched it twice, doubled in English (extremely well I might add) and in German with subtitles.

The tank and flamethrower scenes were some of the most thrilling scenes in ANY war movie.

Steve Williams

Great review Steve, I agree with you 100%. The movie was visually stunning and well acted. I’ve watched it twice, doubled in English (extremely well I might add) and in German with subtitles.

The tank and flamethrower scenes were some of the most thrilling scenes in ANY war movie.
It has my vote for Best Movie this year

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Thanks for the mini review and recommendation, Steve. I’ve been hoping for something new and good to watch - I’m finding winters in Boston to be “movie time” ;-)

I do need to add that I thought “Banshees” was brilliant…. Brilliant but hard to watch in some ways.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

All Quiet.... was an epic movie that starts innocently and very quickly thrusts these 4 young men from the class room to the front line of the war. To me the story was terrific and had me captivated from start to finish. Like Keith I too really liked 1917 but this film shows the story from the eyes of the Germans. The story is superbly told. As for Banshees....I've said I liked everything about it but the story. Everything, Everywhere to me was an utter abomination. I hated everything about it. Banshees at least had good acting and great cinematography

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
All Quiet.... was an epic movie that starts innocently and very quickly thrusts these 4 young men from the class room to the front line of the war. To me the story was terrific and had me captivated from start to finish. Like Keith I too really liked 1917 but this film shows the story from the eyes of the Germans. The story is superbly told. As for Banshees....I've said I liked everything about it but the story. Everything, Everywhere to me was an utter abomination. I hated everything about it. Banshees at least had good acting and great cinematography
Everything, Everywhere was definitely unique but it was too much for me. Maybe I started it too late at night but it quickly wore me out and I realized I wasn't enjoying it nor could I possibly get through it.

Steve Williams

Everything, Everywhere was definitely unique but it was too much for me. Maybe I started it too late at night but it quickly wore me out and I realized I wasn't enjoying it nor could I possibly get through it.
to me it was a dumb ass sci fi comedy. I hated it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing