Allnic H5500

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Has anyone heard this phono preamp. Even better, has anyone upgraded from the H1201 to the H5500. I am looking for a new phono stage. I want an all in one MC unit. I appreciate how some people like a SUT. I just don't want to mess with them. I have one. Its highly reactive. It requires special attention to placement. It requires special cables to connect it to the phono preamp. I want a more simple compact solution. I have heard a few other phono preamps. Some of them have stomped on my H1201, but they have too much inherent noise. Or at least noise that emanates in my system. My H1201 is actually pretty quiet. I don't have issues with it in that regard. It just lacks. When I listen to other phono pre they seem to bring the music more to life. They are more real. More clean. More alive. Better bass response. The H1201 is good. And with the Aidas Mammoth Gold its quite good. But other pre I have heard really step the vinyl up.
Thanks

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The main good component of the H-5500 is the internal and adnustable SUT, which is the same than in the well known H-7000v

I like the performance of the H-5500, but the unit is very sensible on vibrations, you easily get noise in the signal. But if placed on a proper Rack or platform a real winner.

In some aet ups I do prefer the similar priced Phasemation EA-350. A little warmer and a little less detailed focussed.

As the EA-350 has no tubes, its
more flexible in using longer cables or driving a low impedance input stage.

Reactions: XV-1

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I read about the Phasemation. I like tubes to some degree.

I also considered a CJ TEA 1. I use to have CJ. It had a sound. I am not at all sure what the sound is today.

And the Channel D. And the DS Audio 003. All things to consider.

I know the Allnic sound and I like what I have. But I have heard better and wonder if moving up the line gives more.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
I wonder if a used Allnic H-3000 would be a better performer at a cheaper price.

Reactions: benito and Solypsa

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I think I am going to do an about face and look at at Channel D Lino C3.3. I think there is something to the transimpedance design. I get how a current device helps damp the mechanical movement of the coil/stylus. Its something to try. And people I trust say its a giant slayer for an affordable price.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Doubt you could go wrong with any of the Allnic units, but I would go for one of the H 1500 model variants with LCR equalization even from the used market. I owned one of the original models before the H 3000.

I don't know if they still produce them. It is two chassis, however, though reasonably compact, also allows messing with tube rectifiers. My only complaints about it was that with the gel sockets and tight fits, changing the tubes was an exercise in terror. I had to devise a special tong for it to ease the tubes out.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I think I am going to do an about face and look at at Channel D Lino C3.3. I think there is something to the transimpedance design. I get how a current device helps damp the mechanical movement of the coil/stylus. Its something to try. And people I trust say its a giant slayer for an affordable price.
The Aidas with 2.9R coils is a good candidate for a trans impedance design.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
The Aidas with 2.9R coils is a good candidate for a trans impedance design.
Yes, we need to firm up which model I am getting.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
They are all under 5R so no worries....

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I saw that. I'm still up about all the coil options. Gold, copper, siver over copper or silver. The gold Mammoth has been nice. Trying to get my head around the voice of the wires.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Trying to get my head around the voice of the wires.
For the Aidas Cartridge line the sound of the carts ( with different body material and winding wire material ) is actually very cohesive. This means imho that Mr. Svazas is very in command of his design architecture and sonic goals. Going up the line increases refinement and nuance, not sweeping changes in character. For me this highlights that design in total and builder expertise is what drives great products.

Have fun testing more phono preamps :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I read about the Phasemation. I like tubes to some degree.

I also considered a CJ TEA 1. I use to have CJ. It had a sound. I am not at all sure what the sound is today.

And the Channel D. And the DS Audio 003. All things to consider.

I know the Allnic sound and I like what I have. But I have heard better and wonder if moving up the line gives more.

The 3000 at the used price is very high value if the recti is rolled. You have to roll the recti. 7000 also you can buy and sell used quite easily. Make sure when you buy used it is a good working unit and hum free

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
The 3000 at the used price is very high value if the recti is rolled. You have to roll the recti. 7000 also you can buy and sell used quite easily. Make sure when you buy used it is a good working unit and hum free
Have you heard the Channel D 3.3. I think I have a small idea the Allnic sound. What would a Transimpedance sound like in comparison.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Have you heard the Channel D 3.3. I think I have a small idea the Allnic sound. What would a Transimpedance sound like in comparison.

i don’t know but Allnic sound with stock recti is too tubey slow and coloured not much energy. All that changes with change in recti. And I don’t know the 5500/1200 well but 3000/7000 very good and 5000/8000 are among the very top

Last edited:
Reactions: Solypsa

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing