Allnic H7000 vs ARC Ref2(SE) ?

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Shot in the dark, with apologies for potentially adding to forum SNR. I figure if any forum has members who've heard both the Allnic H7000 and the ARC Ref 2 (or Ref 2SE) phono stages, this would be it.

I currently own and really enjoy the H7000. I like the four inputs and think the built-in SUTs compare well to the Bob's Devices and a Slage SUTs I also have. I find the loading dials on the top of the unit difficult to get to, as the unit sits in the middle of my rack, so that's one strike against it.

But, mostly, for semi-OCD/aesthetic reasons, I'm considering swapping the H7000 for an ARC Ref 2 or 2SE, as I also own an ARC Ref 40/Anniversary preamp and am thinking of adding a Ref 75SE power amp.

Plenty of folks repping and enjoying the H7000 on here. Has anyone also heard the Ref2(SE) and have thoughts about how the two phono stages might compare? If the H7000 is the better sonically, I'll probably hang on to it and live with the visual clash with the ARC stuff. It'd be excellent to have a chance to get a Ref2SE into my system and compare directly, but that's not likely to happen, unfortunately.

Thanks for any feedback!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What recti do you have in the 7000?

Reactions: wbass

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
It's a NOS RCA JAN-5U4G. Recommended to me by Albert Porter and a nice improvement from the stock tube.

I like the H7000 sonically. The ergonomics (hard to get at the loading dials) and the non-matching aesthetics with the ARC units are the only reasons I'd make a change at the moment.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It's a NOS RCA JAN-5U4G. Recommended to me by Albert Porter and a nice improvement from the stock tube.

I like the H7000 sonically. The ergonomics (hard to get at the loading dials) and the non-matching aesthetics with the ARC units are the only reasons I'd make a change at the moment.

Also try the KR/RK 5u4g.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I would keep the Allnic.

Reactions: bonzo75

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
But, mostly, for semi-OCD/aesthetic reasons, I'm considering swapping the H7000 for an ARC Ref 2 or 2SE, as I also own an ARC Ref 40/Anniversary preamp and am thinking of adding a Ref 75SE power amp.
I recommend you not to do that. Keep your H7000, forget about getting ARC Ref 75SE. If you’re gonna change a component consider changing ARC Ref 40.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do you have a recommendation for a source for the KR/RK 5u4g.
I noticed a big improvement over the stock with a RCA 5U4G

Sorry I missed this. In the used market now you might find all the Lampi owners who are upgrading to Horizon - they might sell of this recti as no longer required in Horizon

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Yeah, I'd appreciate a little context, as well. I know there are fans of ARC out there, and some who think otherwise. Just as there would be with Allnic, I suppose. I demoed the H7000 against several mid-tier contenders, and it won out. (Unsurprisingly, it being a more expensive piece.) I also demoed the ARC Ref 40 against several mid- and high-tier preamps, and it also won out. I like it quite a bit, and it's likely to stay in my system. That doesn't mean some might find it over-rated, but it works for me, and I'm inclined to keep pieces I like around rather than doing more A-B comparisons.

All thoughts/opinions are welcomed, of course. My initial question--whether the H7000 and Ref 2SE phono are comparable in overall quality--is probably a difficult one to answer.

Thanks all around.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Shot in the dark, with apologies for potentially adding to forum SNR. I figure if any forum has members who've heard both the Allnic H7000 and the ARC Ref 2 (or Ref 2SE) phono stages, this would be it.

I currently own and really enjoy the H7000. I like the four inputs and think the built-in SUTs compare well to the Bob's Devices and a Slage SUTs I also have. I find the loading dials on the top of the unit difficult to get to, as the unit sits in the middle of my rack, so that's one strike against it.

Plenty of folks repping and enjoying the H7000 on here. Has anyone also heard the Ref2(SE) and have thoughts about how the two phono stages might compare? If the H7000 is the better sonically, I'll probably hang on to it and live with the visual clash with the ARC stuff. It'd be excellent to have a chance to get a Ref2SE into my system and compare directly, but that's not likely to happen, unfortunately.

Thanks for any feedback!

We would need a lot more details to consider your message but if your speakers, room and sources are compatible with the ARC REF75 go fo it. The ARC Ref40 is really a great preamplifier - I know about it, I got one of the first units, sold it a few years later and soon had to get an used unit! I pair it with an REF3 phono.

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Cheers @microstrip Yes, more details. Upcoming move from Chicago (where I have a fair bit of space) to London (where I'll expect to have relatively less). Going to part ways with my Magnepan 3.7i and Sanders Sound amps. Might step into something like a pair of Quad ESL or Tannoy (vintage or new), both of which I think the REF 75SE would power well. Rest of the system will likely stay the same:

Analog front-end: Technics SP10mk2 / 4 Point 14 with Kuzma CAR40 / Schroeder CB-1L with Koetsu Black -- Both currently running into the H7000

I also have a Slagle (not EMIA) SUT and a Bob's Devices Sky 20 and a Garrard 401 set-up that will also likely come along. I also have an SPU Synergy G and might mess around with other carts at some point. But for now just strategizing about what to take and what to sell.

As above, I like the sound of the H7000 and the 4 inputs, but I dislike the ergonomics. Unless you have the Allnic on top of the rack--and I can't place mine there--it's very difficult to get at the internal SUT loading knobs without risk of burning yourself on the tubes, so arm switching on the fly is a touch trickier. Not a dealbreaker, just annoying.

Thanks.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Thanks for any feedback!

I cannot speak to the H7000 but I can tell you, just as you would expect, there is excellent synergy between the Ref 2SE and the Anniversary. I had a 2SE paired with a 5SE, then the REF Phono 10 paired with the REF 10. To give you and idea of what ARC thinks of the 2SE's circuit, the REF Phono 10 is simply two 2SEs, with one dedicated to each channel. It is one of the last pieces of electronics designed by Ward Fieberger, founder WZ Johnson's right hand man. All settings can be configured on the fly with their remotes. The 6H30 and 6550 tubes will be the same between the phono and your linestage which is a real convenience.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Analog front-end: Technics SP10mk2 / 4 Point 14 with Kuzma CAR40 / Schroeder CB-1L with Koetsu Black -- Both currently running into the H7000

The FR64s/66s and Glanz will sound much better with your Koetsu, or change the cartridge.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Why would he wish to swap out such an exceptional pre amplifier ? And for what component would you recommend as being exponentially better ?
With all due respect, I don’t consider ARC 40 anniversary as an exceptional preamplifier or any ARC in this respect. It may be a good preamplifier but I don’t think it’s a good idea to get ARC phono and power amps because of having that pre. That’s my humble opinion.

And from my point of view H7000 is a better phono pre than ARC ref2SE.

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
With all due respect, I don’t consider ARC 40 anniversary as an exceptional preamplifier or any ARC in this respect. It may be a good preamplifier but I don’t think it’s a good idea to get ARC phono and power amps because of having that pre. That’s my humble opinion.

And from my point of view H7000 is a better phono pre than ARC ref2SE.
Whatever , You neglected to put forward your reference choice of pre amplifiers that you subjectively consider better an ARC 40 Anniversary, particularly for the buy in that the ARC would cost one today? Is it subjectively the best tube pre that I have experienced… No …Does it remain an exceptional valve pre amplifier … IMHO Yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Whatever , You neglected to put forward your reference choice of pre amplifiers that you subjectively consider better an ARC 40 Anniversary, particularly for the buy in that the ARC would cost one today? Is it subjectively the best tube pre that I have experienced… No …Does it remain an exceptional valve pre amplifier … IMHO Yes.
I can name a few reference pre amplifiers but that’s not the point. What I understood from your earlier posts that the existence of ARC 40 anniversary pre is pulling you to change all your equipment with ARC and I’m trying to say IMHO don’t let it do that. you already have a very good allnic phono pre and IMHO it’s better to keep it.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I don’t consider ARC 40 anniversary as an exceptional preamplifier or any ARC in this respect
I consider that it is a point after all you chose to made a most assertive statement with reference to the above pre amplifier and now seem to be evading placing some context around your comment.

I am curious as to what electronics you would prefer / recommend, new or used for the current pre owned going rate for an ARC REF40
which is circa $10000 Viz

As regard to your other point, I in some part agree that matching visual aesthetics across one brand might not be a priority.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I am curious as to what electronics you would prefer / recommend, new or used for the current pre owned going rate for an ARC REF40
which is circa $10000 Viz
As a preamplifier I prefer anything from Kondo, Shindo, Audio Tekne, Robert Koda, Absolare or Audio Consulting.
As a reference preamplifier Kondo G-1000 would be my first choice which I like a lot whenever I listened to. Kondo M-1000, M7 or even the G-70 is still better than almost anything. If you want a solid state pre than Robert Koda K-10 is a great choice. IMHO it sounds like a tube pre or if you want a clean open sound (I prefer tubes instead) CH Precision L-1 is a good option (with X-1) Or if you want a passive pre than Audio Consulting silver rock is a great option.
now seem to be evading placing some context around your comment.
I’m not evading from anything. I’m still saying the same thing. Sorry but I never heard 6H30 and 6550 (as a rectifier) sound good on a pre especially with newly made tubes. Nos Reflector 6N30 tubes can not help much either.

Last edited:
Reactions: singulaudio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing