Allnic Puritas MC Cartridge

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I got a sample of the Allnic Puritas cartridge to try out from David Beetles. I am currently running the Verito Z, which I am much enamored with.

The Puritas has some hours on it, so it is hopefully broken in.

I am no Fremer or Lavigne, I tend to be a one table/arm/cartridge guy without a vast stable of cartridges and tables/arms to reference, but I can compare it to my own cartridges that I have had in my system and others I have heard elsewhere (with audiophile ESP caveat applied).

Kip (Kipdent) is scheduled to come up here next week to hear as well. Kip has already heard this cartridge at RMAF and at Mike Lavigne's, so he can probably pitch in on his own after listening session. He has very much liked it when he has heard it in the other venues.

Two Good Ears (Stefano Bertocello) has also given some impressions at his site.

http://twogoodears.blogspot.com/2010/09/wjaas-related-new-king-allnics-new.htmla

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I bought my Blue Angel Mantis from a guy that replaced it for an Alnic cartridge, as much as he liked the Mantis, he is all in for the Alnic now.

kipdent

Sep 25, 2010
Carl--

First, thank you very much for your gracious hospitality last Wednesday evening. I greatly enjoyed listening to your system. I'm still in awe that so much gear can actually fit in such a small room, and sound so impressive!

Regarding the Puritas cartridge, well, once again it did not disappoint. After hearing it in different venues (though as a correction, not at Mike Lavigne's as he did not have it when I visited him), it's clear to me that this is a wonderfully musical cartridge, and one designed with a clear intention to sound that way. It is refined and rich in nuances, though not etched or hyper-detailed. I don't know if it will ever attain the buzz the Ortofon A90 has, but I don't care--as of today, I prefer it by a significant margin over the A90. When I sit in front of my piano and begin playing, the Puritas reminds more of the textures and layers of that complex sound than the A90, and so if I were to choose a replacement for my Transfiguration Temper W today, it would be this Allnic.

Thanks again!

Kip

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Thanks, Kip,

It was enjoyable having you over and meeting somebody who I have been communicating off an on with for several years now.

Sorry about Mike L's, I thought he had a Puritas on one of his arms and you heard it, my bad.

John (Smokester) also brought Peter Gabriel's new record and a 45 of Rickie Lee Jones. John didn't get much time in the sweet spot, unfortunately, mostly a "speaker right" seat.

I also liked seeing your Leica M series(??) digital camera, the king of portables, what a machine. It feels like an ingot in the hand.

Since I have only had the Puritas for about a week or so, many of the cuts we listened to were new to me as well with the Puritas in place.

My take on the Puritas is along the lines of elegance and refinement. When I played a loud classical music selection, however, I realized what the Puritas was about. It held the loud, dense, complex, dynamic passage together with enormous integrity and ease.

How is it compared to my aluminum cantilevered Verito Z? I guess my thought was that it is like driving a porsche and finding another porsche the nearest competition.

The Verito may have a little more tale wag in the cornering, but a bit more torque in the straightaway.

I suppose using tube analogy the Puritas would be a triode compared to the "tetrode" of the Verito Z.

The Verito Z has some more melting tone in the lower midrange, the Puritas a bit more definition across the board.

However, both cartridges seem to build from the midrange outward, which is great. Some modern cartridges I have heard seem to try to create an elusive quality by concentrating on the upper midrange and highs but forgetting the midrange.

I would imagine the Puritas should be one of the cartridges on the short list of vinyl lovers of classical music. It surfs from the loudest crescendo down to that lonely, lamenting solo echoing in the back of the orchestra pit better than anything I have heard in my own system.

If you want the music to kick you in the balls a bit more, one might switch to the Verito Z.

Both the Puritas and Verito Z are better than my previous Clearaudio Harmony Mg in either of the Clearaudio's boron or ruby cantilever iterations.

The Puritas is currently a loaner from David Beetles. If any members of BAAS or bay area members think they might want a listen, e-mail me through the forum.

Last edited:

kipdent

Sep 25, 2010
It was enjoyable having you over and meeting somebody who I have been communicating off an on with for several years now.

I also liked seeing your Leica M series(??) digital camera, the king of portables, what a machine. It feels like an ingot in the hand.

Thanks for the kind words, Carl. The camera is a Leica M9, their newest digital M camera. If there were a photography section here, the M9 would be mentioned frequently. ;-)

I am getting closer to a cartridge replacement decision. The Allnic Puritas is at the top of that list; the fact I can get a significant trade-in value for my Transfiguration Temper W on their Orpheus L has me second guessing. If anyone here would care to pipe in on the Orpheus L, I would appreciate it as it would help in the final decision. Unlike the Puritas, I have not been able to hear the Orpheus L.

I miss the Scheherazade on your system already! :)

Kip

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Thanks, Kip,

One of the difficulties of analog is auditioning cartridges, it's pretty tough. It usually winds up being in an unfamiliar systems or an audio show/dealer's showroom type situation.

Otherwise its mythology and blind faith. Or, I guess, the privileged few who can just buy everything and use what they want.

The Puritas had about 35 hours on it when I received it, according to David. I put another few hours before our listening session. I have probably put another ten hours or so since then, and the darned thing has been getting better (or I have been, who knows with break in).

I don't think most cartridges are fully relaxed until about 100 hours, so the Puritas probably has a few dozens of hours left for full break in.

I forgot to play you my Riverside copy of Waltz with Debbie, wanted to hear your opinion compared to the tape you have.

Got it for 75c from Goodwill several years ago (yeah, rubbing it in again!).

Last edited:

WullieD20

Dec 2, 2010
Scotland
I am getting closer to a cartridge replacement decision. The Allnic Puritas is at the top of that list; the fact I can get a significant trade-in value for my Transfiguration Temper W on their Orpheus L has me second guessing. If anyone here would care to pipe in on the Orpheus L, I would appreciate it as it would help in the final decision. Unlike the Puritas, I have not been able to hear the Orpheus L.
Kip

Hi Kip,

I'm a new visitor to this forum, so I hope you guys don't mind me coming in here with some comments, given my current knowledge. I hope I'm not too late with my info, as I've only just discovered this thread whilst browsing for some info on the Puritas....

I currently run an Orpheus and was privelaged enough to be offered a Puritas to review, while considering an alternative (assuming it fitted my criteria). The Orpheus took a little getting used to after running a couple of Lyras (Helikon and Skala). In the meantime I had the opportunity to try the Transfig' Axia AND Phoenix and liked them both. As I had funds available I couldn't help but think the Orpheus would be a safe bet in a superior way to the other Transfig's, so went ahead and ordered one. Initially, I couldn't enjoy the Orpheus, as it was quite a radical change from the others and especially the Lyras, which I had previously considered to be exceptional. However, as a result of discontinuing my listening to CDs altogether (and making inane comparisons!!) and allowing the Orph' to 'run in' I discovered the delights and advantages that came with patience. The Orph' is the most exceptional cart I have ever heard.

So to the Puritas. Initially, although I'd been informed that it had quite a number of hours on it, although not quite the recommended 40 - 50 hours to 'come on song', I found that it was very bright and quite 'toppy' with a number of tracks. There was a lot of music that the Puritas dealt with extremely well and sounded most enjoyable, but as soon as I was becoming accustomed to it and enjoying the music I would put something on (male vocal by Peter Gabriel) that sent the Puritas right back to what it sounded like before being run in. The vocals were sibilant and harsh and although the Puritas had sufficient hours on it by now, there were a number of other tracks and different types of music that were just not so as enjoyable as the Orpheus.

If you get the opportunity try and review both carts for a week or so (hopefully run-in models) and you may find, as I did that the Transfiguration Orpheus is a very neutral cart that provides an eye opening preformance with stage width and depth for every piece of music you can throw at it.....

It leaves me wondering (slightly) if the Puritas would reach this level of performance if given even longer to run in, but at the end of the day I had to refit the Orph, with no regrets of returning the Allnic to my supplier,

Hope that contributes something worthwhile,

Regards,

WD20.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
No brightness or sibilance here, extremely realistic and well balanced upper midrange and high frequencies. The Puritas is the antithesis of harshness on my system, it is just getting better every time I listen to it going into 50 plus hours. It is hard to imagine that we are listening to the same cartridge from that description. I have never heard an Orpheus.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Kip,

I'm a new visitor to this forum, so I hope you guys don't mind me coming in here with some comments, given my current knowledge. I hope I'm not too late with my info, as I've only just discovered this thread whilst browsing for some info on the Puritas....

I currently run an Orpheus and was privelaged enough to be offered a Puritas to review, while considering an alternative (assuming it fitted my criteria). The Orpheus took a little getting used to after running a couple of Lyras (Helikon and Skala). In the meantime I had the opportunity to try the Transfig' Axia AND Phoenix and liked them both. As I had funds available I couldn't help but think the Orpheus would be a safe bet in a superior way to the other Transfig's, so went ahead and ordered one. Initially, I couldn't enjoy the Orpheus, as it was quite a radical change from the others and especially the Lyras, which I had previously considered to be exceptional. However, as a result of discontinuing my listening to CDs altogether (and making inane comparisons!!) and allowing the Orph' to 'run in' I discovered the delights and advantages that came with patience. The Orph' is the most exceptional cart I have ever heard.

So to the Puritas. Initially, although I'd been informed that it had quite a number of hours on it, although not quite the recommended 40 - 50 hours to 'come on song', I found that it was very bright and quite 'toppy' with a number of tracks. There was a lot of music that the Puritas dealt with extremely well and sounded most enjoyable, but as soon as I was becoming accustomed to it and enjoying the music I would put something on (male vocal by Peter Gabriel) that sent the Puritas right back to what it sounded like before being run in. The vocals were sibilant and harsh and although the Puritas had sufficient hours on it by now, there were a number of other tracks and different types of music that were just not so as enjoyable as the Orpheus.

If you get the opportunity try and review both carts for a week or so (hopefully run-in models) and you may find, as I did that the Transfiguration Orpheus is a very neutral cart that provides an eye opening preformance with stage width and depth for every piece of music you can throw at it.....

It leaves me wondering (slightly) if the Puritas would reach this level of performance if given even longer to run in, but at the end of the day I had to refit the Orph, with no regrets of returning the Allnic to my supplier,

Hope that contributes something worthwhile,

Regards,

WD20.

hi Wullie,

welcome to WBF. i had the Puritas in my system for about 2 hours about 2 months ago. i never heard any edgyness or brightness of any kind...but it was only 2 hours. i had an A90 and Lyra Olympos SL also in the system and the Puritas was certainly no more 'bright' than those cartridges, and likely a bit less so. i was using the Puritas thru the new Allnic H3000 (with the larger trannies).

then i also heard it in a couple of systems at RMAF and did not hear any brightness there either.

but my experience was nothing like living with it for a few weeks and really hearing it on lots of different lps as you have. i appreciate your feedback.

do you mind telling us about the tt, arm and phono used in your listening to the Puritas?

i'm simply trying to understand context.

cheers,

Mike

Last edited:

WullieD20

Dec 2, 2010
Scotland
hi Wullie,
do you mind telling us about the tt, arm and phono used in your listening to the Puritas?
i'm simply trying to understand context.
cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,

It would appear from the other comment regarding the Puritas that my experience could possibly done with some more hours for settling in..... that applies IMHO to our own individual ears as much as that of the component we are reviewing, so my Puritas could quite reasonably become better and better. However, my love of the Transfig. Orph possibly caused me to return to it prematurely.

As for my other gear: The TT is a Linn LP 12, the Scottish built 'bouncer' with world wide reputation. It has been brought up to date with various mods over the years and currently is somewhat different to the original. It has the Circus main bearing, but has an 'after market' composite sub-chassis. It is also driven by an Origin Live dc motor, with control unit.
The arm is a Zeta from the 80s, which has been fettled and re-wired by Johnnie at Audio Origami, someone I am lucky enough to know and lives fairly locally to me.... (How beneficial is that?).
I apologies for omitting my phono stage from my equipment line up, (this will be rectified) and I am proud to say that I currently run an Allnic H1500 II Plus, a phono stage which surpassed anything else I'd ever heard, or used, within my price range. (so any possible incompatability issues between the Puritas and the phono stage can be discounted)

I hope that satisfies your question, but if there's anything else........

Regards,

W.

kipdent

Sep 25, 2010
Initially, I couldn't enjoy the Orpheus, as it was quite a radical change from the others and especially the Lyras, which I had previously considered to be exceptional... [however] the Orph' is the most exceptional cart I have ever heard.

So to the Puritas... I found that it was very bright and quite 'toppy' with a number of tracks.

Hi, WD20--

Thanks for the post. Your comments reinforce my belief about this hobby that it is essentially impossible to have two people listen to the same product, even in the same setting, and "hear" exactly the same thing. It is like individual impressions of various colors in nature. This makes such comparisons very, very frustrating. In the end, you're right--one has to listen to each product in their own system and decide for themselves if they like it or not.

To expound on my theory, my impression of the Puritas in each setting I have heard it is very different than yours--it was one of the first cartridges I've heard in a long time that did not sound bright or "toppy" but instead luxuriously, musically entrancing while, surprisingly, remaining very high in resolution. Even more of a head scratcher are your comments based on knowing you owned Lyra cartridges--in my experience, those should have really taught you about what bright or etched sounds like (with maybe the exception of the Olympos, Mike! Of course, I have not heard the new Delos or Kleos--rumor has it they are very different beasts). In any event, your conclusion about the Orpheus L is reassuring nonetheless as it remains in my very short list of top picks.

Kip

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi, WD20--

Thanks for the post. Your comments reinforce my belief about this hobby that it is essentially impossible to have two people listen to the same product, even in the same setting, and "hear" exactly the same thing. It is like individual impressions of various colors in nature. This makes such comparisons very, very frustrating. In the end, you're right--one has to listen to each product in their own system and decide for themselves if they like it or not.

To expound on my theory, my impression of the Puritas in each setting I have heard it is very different than yours--it was one of the first cartridges I've heard in a long time that did not sound bright or "toppy" but instead luxuriously, musically entrancing while, surprisingly, remaining very high in resolution. Even more of a head scratcher are your comments based on knowing you owned Lyra cartridges--in my experience, those should have really taught you about what bright or etched sounds like (with maybe the exception of the Olympos, Mike! Of course, I have not heard the new Delos or Kleos--rumor has it they are very different beasts). In any event, your conclusion about the Orpheus L is reassuring nonetheless as it remains in my very short list of top picks.

Kip

Hi Kip,

Can't say I agree with your assessment of the Lyras. I think they're pretty neutral and uncolored but definitely would not go out on a limb to call them bright or etched in my system (that's the titan i). Part may be the rest of the system and the phono stage used. To wit, if it's a bright phono stage, then the Lyras will probably sound as described.

I've only heard the Allnic Puritas at the show and wasn't that impressed. It sounded very soft and rolled off to my ears and wasn't tracking all that well (maybe that's why I heard what I heard?). Then again, I'm not a Koetsu fan but haven't heard the Coralstone that some members like Albert seem to like a lot.

I heard the Kleos also at the show but it wasn't broken in. Rumor has it that the Kleos is a little warmer.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
"very bright and quite 'toppy'
"sibilant and harsh"
"very soft and rolled off to my ears"
"wasn't tracking all that well"

Is this the same cartridge?

On the SME 30/Grandezzza with the Allnic amplification chain, the sound of the Puritas is remarkable, it continues to break in.

It tracks complex material like at top (at 2.1g), has most deep internal detailing. However, it doesn't capture detail by enhancing leading edges. The detail comes with a full jacket of deep tonality.

Kip pretty much described what I hear as well.

I was listening to the third side of "The Wall" LP, and I can't say that short of oneobgyn's tape of the same I have ever heard this kind of performance from that piece. The Allnic cartridges are very tape-like in their tonal capture and density.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
"very bright and quite 'toppy'
"sibilant and harsh"
"very soft and rolled off to my ears"
"wasn't tracking all that well"

Is this the same cartridge?

On the SME 30/Grandezzza with the Allnic amplification chain, the sound of the Puritas is remarkable, it continues to break in.

It tracks complex material like at top (at 2.1g), has most deep internal detailing. However, it doesn't capture detail by enhancing leading edges. The detail comes with a full jacket of deep tonality.

Kip pretty much described what I hear as well.

I was listening to the third side of "The Wall" LP, and I can't say that short of oneobgyn's tape of the same I have ever heard this kind of performance from that piece. The Allnic cartridges are very tape-like in their tonal capture and density.

Well if the cartridge was mistracking, then the Allnic's sound could have very well suffered :) As I've often said about shows, if a products sounds good, it's worth investigating, esp. if it's used in several rooms at show; if it sounds bad, it can't be dismissed either :(

It could have been an arm mismatch or that was tracking too light. I've found that if tracking too light, some cartridges sound muddy and soft; if too heavy then the opposite. Of course, that's adjusting for changes in SRA accompanying VTF changes.

And of course OTOH, one's opinion is also shaped by how many other cartridges one has heard in their system.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Hi, Rich,

I am looking forward to your assessment, so far I am mightily impressed.

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Anyone still using this cart? Is it still a contender? Or have the Rose and Amber definitively superseded the Puritas? It seems to show up now and then re-tipped.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Anyone still using this cart? Is it still a contender? Or have the Rose and Amber definitively superseded the Puritas? It seems to show up now and then re-tipped.
Its a very fine cartridge indeed, I prefer it over the transfiguration orpheus, the fine line contact stylus tracks so well, a very dynamic and musical cartridge if I may say!

Reactions: wbass

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing