Alsyvox, Audionec, Gobel ,Manger, Zellatons, Ilumnia: A survey of coherence at its finest..

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
What are your thoughts ladies and gents? Which is the best? Is there something else that belongs on this list that I need to hear?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
If you are after coherence, clarity and pinpoint imaging, plus very good low volume performance, then Zellaton are extremely good.

Gobel are very coherent but also very boring I find.

Alsyvox's larger models have great scale, speed and clarity and are also exciting to listen too.

AudioNec The Answer is the best AudioNec I have ever heard I just love the bass driver in that model.

For a cheaper option than Alsyvox then restored Apogees done to way above factory spec. But hearing a pair? Not easy.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Alsyvox and Zellaton statement reside opposite each other at 5th avenue. Why not go find out for yourself?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Pnoe horns display a lot of the attributes you seem to be after. Try hear a pair...

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
If in NYC I recommend going to visit Audio Arts, Sound by Singer, Innovative, Lyric, OMA (Brooklyn) and then if you have time make an appointment to visit Rhapsody to hear Alsyvox, Diesis, Bayz and Magico.

Reactions: wisnon

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
If in NYC I recommend going to visit Audio Arts, Sound by Singer, Innovative, Lyric, OMA (Brooklyn) and then if you have time make an appointment to visit Rhapsody to hear Alsyvox, Diesis, Bayz and Magico.
As usual, it works out to save the best for last...Bob at Rhapsody!

Kind Regards,
ALF

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
What are your thoughts ladies and gents? Which is the best? Is there something else that belongs on this list that I need to hear?

here are my thoughts.

get on an airplane, fly to Seattle, and visit my room. i'm 45 minutes from the airport. my Evolution Acoustics MM7 speakers are below the radar, but will never limit your music reproduction dreams. they do it all. and my room appropriately allows them to be heard.

http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/loudspeakers/mm-series/mmseven/

Last edited:
Reactions: wisnon and asiufy

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
You are certainly welcome to come listen to the Gobels in my showroom in Sunny Florida and I think you will find them a worthy contender for the worlds best speakers in all phases of reproduction. If that doesn't work we will be showing at Axpona 2020 in the same room as last year with some new partners and a huge surprise!

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
You are certainly welcome to come listen to the Gobels in my showroom in Sunny Florida and I think you will find them a worthy contender for the worlds best speakers in all phases of reproduction. If that doesn't work we will be showing at Axpona 2020 in the same room as last year with some new partners and a huge surprise!
CH L10 +M10?????;)

Reactions: CKKeung

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
CH L10 +M10?????;)
No that is not going to be at Axpona with Bending Wave. We have three new room participants this year. Howie I think that CH will introduce those items, if they are ready, at Munich this year. I have no facts just my feeling that that will be the place.

Reactions: howiebrou

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
"Alsyvox, Audionec, Gobel ,Manger, Zellatons, Ilumnia: A survey of coherence at its finest..."

That is a very interesting collection of manufacturers. All are makers of rather ambitious polydirectional speakers except for Manger, who makes an advanced bending-wave driver.

Personally I tend to prefer polydirectional speakers when set up properly. Imo that entails their additional radiation not showing up as strong, distinct early reflections, but otherwise making a significant contribution to the reverberant field. Ime the effect seems to be this: One hears more of the recording venue (rather real or virtual), and less of the playback room.

Unfortunately I only have limited experience with one of the manufacturers on this list, and that was too many years ago to be useful here.

Is there something else that belongs on this list that I need to hear?

Given that "coherence" is a high priority, I hope you don't mind me tossing out another polydirectional design which uses a single driver of unusually uniform directivity to cover the entire spectrum: SoundLab's big fullrange electrostats. Disclaimer: I'm a SoundLab dealer.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
If coherence is the motiv force for the search here, shouldnt speakers with co-incident drivers be considered?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing