Alsyvox planars...prepare to sell your Magico's, YG's, Wilson's, Cessaro's. Maggie's, and all others!!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
T
I’ve always thought that the pricing of these speakers was based on the, “think of a number and double it” approach. The pricing of those crossover variants just confirms my suspicions.

Agreed but if the company can survive and get away with it good luck to them.

The thing is so many speakers fail in comparison at similar and greater price points. It's just a very good technology. In this case well implemented.

Reactions: DaveC and christoph

iansr

Dec 27, 2010
T

Agreed but if the company can survive and get away with it good luck to them.

The thing is so many speakers fail in comparison at similar and greater price points. It's just a very good technology. In this case well implemented.
Justin
As you know I too heard them at Munich and I absolutely think they are amongst the best speakers currently available. However I can’t get on board with the idea that It’s acceptable to charge an inflated price just because some people are willing to pay it. That’s probably related to the fact that I also think ( like a growing number of economists) that the pursuit of endless growth is unsustainable. But we are straying into Politics now so I better stop there . . .
PS. I did say currently available. In November I’m going to get to listen to the first speaker based on a truly new and unique transducer technology. For a variety of reasons I fully expect this to be a major disruptor in the hi fi speaker arena. So what’s happening in November? Well, I’m going to New Zealand . . . .

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Well
Justin
As you know I too heard them at Munich and I absolutely think they are amongst the best speakers currently available. However I can’t get on board with the idea that It’s acceptable to charge an inflated price just because some people are willing to pay it. That’s probably related to the fact that I also think ( like a growing number of economists) that the pursuit of endless growth is unsustainable. But we are straying into Politics now so I better stop there . . .
PS. I did say currently available. In November I’m going to get to listen to the first speaker based on a truly new and unique transducer technology. For a variety of reasons I fully expect this to be a major disruptor in the hi fi speaker arena. So what’s happening in November? Well, I’m going to New Zealand . . . .

I am in Rio De Janeiro at the moment.

Popped into see Audiopax, and whilst very good, they were no Alsyvox beaters.

Reactions: asiufy

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Here's the pic. In an Uber that's bouncing around LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_20190905_170640.jpg
    IMG_20190905_170640.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 54

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, these are very different concepts. I doubt Silvio intended the Audiopax speakers to sound like the Alsyvox :)
That said, they are pretty impressive speakers, and at the prices Silvio has quoted me, they're a fraction of the Alsyvox products.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Well, these are very different concepts. I doubt Silvio intended the Audiopax speakers to sound like the Alsyvox :)
That said, they are pretty impressive speakers, and at the prices Silvio has quoted me, they're a fraction of the Alsyvox products.

And even if he had intended them to sound like Alsyvox he couldn't manage it without replicating the product. Which I don't believe he could do.

Very good stuff, though. And Silvio is a nice chap.

Anyway, back to Alsyvox.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The AlsyVox/Omega system at RMAF is one of the best systems I've ever experienced.

Some caveats apply as the room isn't ideal (large enough but WAY too live) and I can't play anything and everything I want and am familiar with, but what I heard was excellent to incredible. I went for 15 min and sat in a few different seats, then came back and took the best seat for about 20 minutes and was just blown away.

Will probably be back for more today! :)

So, it seems where all previous ribbon speakers failed in the past was in not having access to or using high energy magnets to get the sensitivity up to where a ribbon design can sound explosive and really cope with dynamics.

I remember when the big Apogees were a big hit (I heard the Apogee Grand for the first time at CES Chicago in 1992 (or 1993...long ago now...)...it was mind blowing then too ) and were blowing everything away from their generation. The fact that they are still a competitive and viable speaker design today is a testament to what ribbons can inherently do correctly.

Reactions: gwalt

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
So, it seems where all previous ribbon speakers failed in the past was in not having access to or using high energy magnets to get the sensitivity up to where a ribbon design can sound explosive and really cope with dynamics.

I remember when the big Apogees were a big hit (I heard the Apogee Grand for the first time at CES Chicago in 1992 (or 1993...long ago now...)...it was mind blowing then too ) and were blowing everything away from their generation. The fact that they are still a competitive and viable speaker design today is a testament to what ribbons can inherently do correctly.

No I don't think the magnet strength affects dynamics. It just increases sensitivity. The Alsyvox don't really sound as dynamic as my modern day Duettas. I am unsure why but I have a few thoughts on it. The biggest is probably the amount of bass Duettas produce which make them sound strong and meaty. The Alsyvox is definitely more linear.

Graz did use neodymium mags for a while. He has given up on it.

Be careful I am NOT saying my Duettas are better.

Reactions: bonzo75

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
No I don't think the magnet strength affects dynamics. It just increases sensitivity. The Alsyvox don't really sound as dynamic as my modern day Duettas. I am unsure why but I have a few thoughts on it. The biggest is probably the amount of bass Duettas produce which make them sound strong and meaty. The Alsyvox is definitely more linear.

Graz did use neodymium mags for a while. He has given up on it.

Be careful I am NOT saying my Duettas are better.

While I don't think that sensitivity affects a ribbon or planar line source dynamics as much as it does a voicecoil based driver, I think a big part of the aliveness I heard from Alsyvox can be laid at the feet of that higher responsiveness that a higher sensitivity indicates. The issues with thermal compression that plague low sensitivity drivers is largely not there due to the superior cooling from having the whole ribbon or "voice coil" exposed to free circulating air. That said it is clear for microdynamics (something I think Apogees and Magnepans are inferior to good electrostats, for example and needing to be played a bit louder to "wake up") that the high sensitivity ribbon has a dynamic advantage.

A meatier sound does not translate into dynamics necessarily except to say that this is often an area where speakers struggle with dynamics...I didn't have the impression from my Alsyvox experiences that they were lacking compared to Apogees in this way.

So far, I have only heard Alsyvox with their typical partner this funky looking Omega brand...I would love to hear a pair with a good SET or Class A PP triode amp (like your preferred type)...perhaps there would be more meatiness then with less prominent highs?

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Justin

Enquiring minds want to know... Which speakers are these?

iansr

Dec 27, 2010
Enquiring minds want to know... Which speakers are these?
The company is called Wing Acoustics. They have developed a totally new type of transducer. Lots of investment made, apparently lots of interest from some serious players. They are planning on releasing their first small speaker next month, the primary purpose of which is, I think, to demonstrate the capabilities of the tech. If the tech fulfills it’s promise it’s going to cause a lot of ripples ( in more ways than one )

Reactions: CKKeung

William Kucharski

Dec 17, 2015
While I thought the Botticelli X sounded very, very good this year, I also thought they didn't sound quite as good as last year.

In track by track there was a slight tilt in the upper midrange that made them sound ever so slightly bright compared to the balanced sound they achieved at the last RMAF.

This of course could have been the room or the recording, but I heard it on the copy of "Take Five" that they played; I've no idea which of the many versions was the source for the digital they played but the reed of the sax was a little harder edged than it should have been, without the slight "woody" tone it should have and I know I can hear on my 45 RPM Analogue Productions LP as well as on the Analogue Productions SACD.

It's just… at MSRP, the Botticelli were absolutely incredible, though a bit pricy for the money.

At the price of the Botticelli X, there are far too many other speaker systems to be considered at a lower price point like the Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirit, the Wilson Alexx or a used pair of Magico M6s to give a blanket "still worth the price" recommendation.

I'd also love to be able to compare the X and non-X back to back.

What is nice is that AlsyVox will modify any existing pair of Botticelli to be able to use the external crossover if you so desire.

It's very interesting to me how they are following the Apogee Diva trajectory of speakers first and then later speakers plus DAX.

RenderedImage 3.jpg

Reactions: christoph

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The company is called Wing Acoustics. They have developed a totally new type of transducer. Lots of investment made, apparently lots of interest from some serious players. They are planning on releasing their first small speaker next month, the primary purpose of which is, I think, to demonstrate the capabilities of the tech. If the tech fulfills it’s promise it’s going to cause a lot of ripples ( in more ways than one )
Heh, Heh, Wing Acoustics has gotten its puffery and publicity down pat, anyway. They have a page of rave reviews, with no names, just generic identifiers like 'Senior Acoustic Engineer', 'Chief Scientist', 'Chief Transducer Engineer', 'World Class Professional Violinist" etc. with no names.

https://wingacoustics.com/speaker-reviews/

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

iansr

Dec 27, 2010
Heh, Heh, Wing Acoustics has gotten its puffery and publicity down pat, anyway. They have a page of rave reviews, with no names, just generic identifiers like 'Senior Acoustic Engineer', 'Chief Scientist', 'Chief Transducer Engineer', 'World Class Professional Violinist" etc. with no names.

Well as they say, the proof of the pudding . . . I’ll be able to listen to their first speaker when I visit their HQ in November.

Reactions: christoph

iansr

Dec 27, 2010
“What is nice is that AlsyVox will modify any existing pair of Botticelli to be able to use the external crossover if you so desire.”

I’m sure they would be delighted to do that given the outrageous price differential.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

"Undeniably astute comment" Forum board contributor.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Reactions: cjfrbw and bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing