Alternative static eliminator for vinyl playback

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Ordered via one of the CSPort UK Dealers the IME1 (complete with the CSPort HLD-1 Stand) today. Dealer said it will take 2 to 3 weeks to arrive.

In the meantime, I have bought on Amazon UK today (and they have all arrived today) a 'NOSHOCK ESD' antistatic wrist grounding cable & Ground Plug Adapter, a Giotto Rocket-Air AA1900 (large model) Air Puffer, and a set of very nice 'Charles Parker London' extra large (300mm x 300mm) antistatic microfibre cloths (6 in a pack).

I am using these items from Amazon with my 'Milty Zerostat 3' Antistatic Gun I bought some time ago (and hadn't been using it for like over a year because I wasn't getting very good results with it). So last few days have been watching some YouTube videos on best way to use the Milty and found that holding the record in one hand in free space and pointing the Milty at the centre of the record approx. 12" away and squeezing and releasing the trigger slowly 4 times.

So this evening I connected the wrist ground wire to my left wrist (as I am right handed) (which was connected to the Ground Plug Adapter plugged into one of my spare power supply hub sockets) took out a brand new LP that has been Keith Monks RCM cleaned (cleaned today) from a Mofi Antistatic Inner Sleeve (I always put my cleaned records in the Mofi Inner Sleeves straight form cleaning them) handling the edge of the LP with one of my new 'Charles Parker London' antistatic microfibre cloths in my left hand and zapping with the Milty gun held in my right hand.
I then placed the LP on my TT (still grounded with the wrist cable) and gave a couple of air puffs with the Giotto Rocket-Air to a couple of small pieces of dust that had strayed onto the LP surface. Then clamped down the LP (still grounded) and lowered the stylus onto the record.

Wow, a big improvement in much lower ticks and pops and general static noise to what I have been listening to over the past 7+ months which was quite loud ticks and pops and static noise especially when I am using my Susvara headphones which pick up every noise from the TT especially record surface noise.

I also bought one of those cheap barbecue plasma arc lighters off Amazon this week and have been trying it out all this week using various methods (again as seen on YouTube videos) with mixed results. Best method currently appears to be holding it approx 1cm from the record surface whilst it is spinning on the TT and going slowly across the LP twice from inside to outside and then outside to inside. I will use it tomorrow with grounding myself etc. like I have done above / this evening for the Milty gun.

I have also been over this last week using the Milty gun with the 'Audioquest' Gold Carbon Brush i.e. brushing the LP on the platter whilst it is rotating first, then stopping the platter and using the Milty gun in the triangular three points then the centre of the record label squeezing and releasing the trigger etc. slowly for each of the four points. This didn't give very good results at all.

I have also bought a 'NEWTRY' / 'SIMCO' FMX-300 hand-held Electrostatic Field Meter today which will arrive tomorrow so I will be able to take proper readings of static build up on my records from cleaning them on my RCM to using the Milty gun and and the plasma arc lighter to putting them on the TT and playing the LP. And I will also be able to see from such static measurements how good the CSPort IME1 will be in 2 to 3 weeks time !

Keep you all informed as I gather further info and experiences on this crazy and frustrating record static subject .

Have a good Friday evening all.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Ordered via one of the CSPort UK Dealers the IME1 (complete with the CSPort HLD-1 Stand) today. Dealer said it will take 2 to 3 weeks to arrive.

In the meantime, I have bought on Amazon UK today (and they have all arrived today) a 'NOSHOCK ESD' antistatic wrist grounding cable & Ground Plug Adapter, a Giotto Rocket-Air AA1900 (large model) Air Puffer, and a set of very nice 'Charles Parker London' extra large (300mm x 300mm) antistatic microfibre cloths (6 in a pack).

I am using these items from Amazon with my 'Milty Zerostat 3' Antistatic Gun I bought some time ago (and hadn't been using it for like over a year because I wasn't getting very good results with it). So last few days have been watching some YouTube videos on best way to use the Milty and found that holding the record in one hand in free space and pointing the Milty at the centre of the record approx. 12" away and squeezing and releasing the trigger slowly 4 times.

So this evening I connected the wrist ground wire to my left wrist (as I am right handed) (which was connected to the Ground Plug Adapter plugged into one of my spare power supply hub sockets) took out a brand new LP that has been Keith Monks RCM cleaned (cleaned today) from a Mofi Antistatic Inner Sleeve (I always put my cleaned records in the Mofi Inner Sleeves straight form cleaning them) handling the edge of the LP with one of my new 'Charles Parker London' antistatic microfibre cloths in my left hand and zapping with the Milty gun held in my right hand.
I then placed the LP on my TT (still grounded with the wrist cable) and gave a couple of air puffs with the Giotto Rocket-Air to a couple of small pieces of dust that had strayed onto the LP surface. Then clamped down the LP (still grounded) and lowered the stylus onto the record.

Wow, a big improvement in much lower ticks and pops and general static noise to what I have been listening to over the past 7+ months which was quite loud ticks and pops and static noise especially when I am using my Susvara headphones which pick up every noise from the TT especially record surface noise.

I also bought one of those cheap barbecue plasma arc lighters off Amazon this week and have been trying it out all this week using various methods (again as seen on YouTube videos) with mixed results. Best method currently appears to be holding it approx 1cm from the record surface whilst it is spinning on the TT and going slowly across the LP twice from inside to outside and then outside to inside. I will use it tomorrow with grounding myself etc. like I have done above / this evening for the Milty gun.

I have also been over this last week using the Milty gun with the 'Audioquest' Gold Carbon Brush i.e. brushing the LP on the platter whilst it is rotating first, then stopping the platter and using the Milty gun in the triangular three points then the centre of the record label squeezing and releasing the trigger etc. slowly for each of the four points. This didn't give very good results at all.

I have also bought a 'NEWTRY' / 'SIMCO' FMX-300 hand-held Electrostatic Field Meter today which will arrive tomorrow so I will be able to take proper readings of static build up on my records from cleaning them on my RCM to using the Milty gun and and the plasma arc lighter to putting them on the TT and playing the LP. And I will also be able to see from such static measurements how good the CSPort IME1 will be in 2 to 3 weeks time !

Keep you all informed as I gather further info and experiences on this crazy and frustrating record static subject .

Have a good Friday evening all.
p.s. forgot to mention that I had also purchased this week off Amazon a 'Alonefire SV003' powerful 10W 365nm UV Torch Ultra Violet Light
as recommended by 'tima' (thank you 'tima'. It's a great device). Ooo boy, when I turned all the lights out for total darkness and turned on this UV Torch the LP I had treated with the Milty gun and Audioquest Gold Carbon Brush wasn't too bad regarding dust left on the record surface.

But when I turned the UV Torch onto my TT table (as shown in my WBF Avatar) it looked like I have had a big snowfall in my room lol :) i.e. there was dust everywhere (the UV Torch was showing this dust as white snow like particles) !

So I now also know that to have any fighting chance getting to grips with my static issues I must give my TT set-up a good clean first i.e. this weekend lol :)

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Have been having lots of fun with this Simco FMX-003 Electrostatic Filed Meter yesterday with some very interesting findings which I will write about and post later.
Simco FMX300_Static Field Meter_IMG_3320.jpg

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Reactions: Scott Naylor

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I tested DS 001 static eliminator yesterday. I listened same records with and without it. When it’s on it slightly ruins instruments’ sound by taking away liveliness. Without it all the instruments sound more real with better focus, better tone. It certainly has an effect on sound and most probably because of bombarding cartridge by ions. I highly recommend to make this on-off test. I didn’t like it. IMHO it can be used momentarily while brushing/changing record but it’s best to keep it turned off while
listening.

Last edited:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I tested DS 001 static eliminator yesterday. I listened same records with and without it. When it’s on it slightly ruins instruments’s sound by taking away liveliness. Without it all the instruments sound more real with better focus, better tone. It certainly has an effect on sound and most probably because of bombarding cartridge by ions. I highly recommend to make this on-off test. I didn’t like it. IMHO it can be used momentarily while brushing/changing record but it’s best to keep turned off while
listening.
Hope the CSPort IME1 doesn't have the same effect ? :eek:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Actually it does not. According to an article based on research by James H. Kogen in 1978:
"The observation that placing a charged record on a grounded turntable reduces the effect of the charge because the electrostatic field is concentrated between the turntable and the underside of the record, which reduces the original field. When the record is removed from the turn-table, the original voltage reappears."

He mentions that records can be charged up to 30.000 negative volts and it can decrease to 3000 negative volts when placed on a grounded platter. He also explains that playing a record doesn't cause a significant charge to build up.
"A few minutes of experimentation with such an instrument will show how tenacious and easily produced the charges are. Even wiping the record with damp cloth may produce charges rather than neutralizing them. Incidentally, measurements with these instruments have shown that electrification from the direct friction between the diamond and vinyl is, oddly enough, negligible."

"Any form of friction, motion, or contact is likely to produce charges, and vinyl is one of the most easily charged materials available. Hence, such common actions as removing a record from its jacket or wiping it with a cloth or brush, is certain to produce a charge that will be hard to remove."

That's why brushing should be done before anti-static treatment. The effect of anti-static treatment does not go away even after you play the whole side but can easily be reverted by brushing, rubbing etc.
These have been my current findings too with using my SIMCO FMX-003 Electostatic Portable Field Meter over the last month with trying different methods of record preparation before playing it.

Reactions: mtemur

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
@Bonesy Jonesy curious how are you getting along with the CS Port IME1? I've gone listening without it turned on and with it on continuously and it always proves beneficial to leave it on.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
@Bonesy Jonesy curious how are you getting along with the CS Port IME1? I've gone listening without it turned on and with it on continuously and it always proves beneficial to leave it on.
Hi SOS,
The CSPort UK Distributor has not got back to me that he has received one from CSPort in Japan to send out to me.

In the meantime, I have found that using the 'Zerostat 3 Milty' in a specific way (i.e. aiming at N, S, W, & E on the record and pressing trigger four times for each of the four orientations when the record is on the platter) that the static measurements (using an FMX-003 Electrostatic Field Meter & Tester) range from -0.03 to max -0.1kV which is notably audible with much less record noise etc.

Also now we are into the summer period in the UK, the humidity is much higher than in the winter which also considerably makes a difference in keeping static low.

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
@Bonesy Jonesy wow from your post #41 in this thread it looked like you ordered one around March 10th. Now 3 months later and still the UK Distributor does not have? Yes CS Port takes some time to get items shipped out, I know it's based on their superb packing requirements but this seems exceptionally long. I've now made 4 orders with them and it's a matter of 3 maybe 4 weeks that items ship and another 3 -5 days to arrive here in the States. (Although last 2 shipments were held-up by Customs :( which added an additional 3 days to the delivery time). Wish I could help for we try and keep this item in-stock but you require a different voltage. Besides we will only sell into N. America unless given permission per CS Port. Good luck and hope you receive a unit soon.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
@Bonesy Jonesy wow from your post #41 in this thread it looked like you ordered one around March 10th. Now 3 months later and still the UK Distributor does not have? Yes CS Port takes some time to get items shipped out, I know it's based on their superb packing requirements but this seems exceptionally long. I've now made 4 orders with them and it's a matter of 3 maybe 4 weeks that items ship and another 3 -5 days to arrive here in the States. (Although last 2 shipments were held-up by Customs :( which added an additional 3 days to the delivery time). Wish I could help for we try and keep this item in-stock but you require a different voltage. Besides we will only sell into N. America unless given permission per CS Port. Good luck and hope you receive a unit soon.
Thank you SOS for the information and kind words. Much appreciated.

How good is the IME1 from your experience and use of it ? Does it really make a significant difference to static ? And is it worth the asking price (£££ / $$$) for what it is and what it does ? Have you taken static readings (in kV) on the record surface when it is on the platter ready to be played with an Electrostatic Field Meter & Tester both when not using the IME1 and when using the IME1 to see the differences etc. ?

Would be great to have your experiences and use of the IME1.

SOS

Jun 20, 2015
www.soundsofsilence.com
Yes the IME1 does work but no I have not “tested” it with an Electrostatic Field Meter & Tester. However I have always seen dust particles on albums prior to using the IME1 and now nothing or they are easily swept away and stays away when using a brush. Sonically I hear less ticks & pops and a more open sound as well. It’s not a WOW type of thing like I recently heard using my TAT1M2 table or SAFIR arm but it all makes a worth while difference IMO.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing