Am I going loopy. I’m liking my 6 watt SET amp with the Magnepan LRS’s

Rossco

Feb 10, 2022
I have Magnepans LRS’s and originally linked them to my Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III and thought wow this is a great sound. Loved it. Then for hits and giggles I connected up Decware SE34I-5 6 watt amp and yes the bass isn’t at tight at the Rogue Audio and it will distort if pushed too far (but for a lot but not all of the music I listen too and the levels I listen too it is fine) the little Decware sounds better. Seems to have a blacker background, more transparent, still lovely warm sounding and dynamics are amazing good (I listen a bit Prog rock etc). To get over the few limitations I am considering bridging it a 12watt mono and buying another so I will have two 12 watt mono blocks. Am I crazy. Everywhere I read it says Maggie’s require lots and lots of power. Maybe I have weird hearing, I don’t know. Any thoughts?

System is
Mac Mini running Audirv?na
Denafrips Pontus II DAC
Triode Wire Labs speakers cables and interconnects
2 x Rel T/5i subwoofers
Magnepan LRS Speakers
Decware SE34I-5 6watt integrated amp
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III 55watt triode/100watt ultralinear integrated amp
Room 13x13x9 feet

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
They are very insensitive speakers so if you like it loud and/or sit fairly far away then they need power. But, as speaker loads go, they are very benign (almost purely resistive), without the large impedance excursions most conventional speakers exhibit. Their impedance is low'ish but pretty flat so are a good candidate IMO for a tube amplifier. I drove my first Maggies with a 35 W/ch tube amp and they were plenty loud enough for me. They were in a modest room and I sat fairly close to them.

I tend to think the power demands are overblown by many listeners but who am I to judge?

As for your sanity, not in a position to judge. Too concerned about my own. :) - Don

Reactions: paolo

Rossco

Feb 10, 2022
They are very insensitive speakers so if you like it loud and/or sit fairly far away then they need power. But, as speaker loads go, they are very benign (almost purely resistive), without the large impedance excursions most conventional speakers exhibit. Their impedance is low'ish but pretty flat so are a good candidate IMO for a tube amplifier. I drove my first Maggies with a 35 W/ch tube amp and they were plenty loud enough for me. They were in a modest room and I sat fairly close to them.

I tend to think the power demands are overblown by many listeners but who am I to judge?

As for your sanity, not in a position to judge. Too concerned about my own. :) - Don
Thanks Don.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My GF hears about all the navel gazing, soul searching, and descriptions fussing/busting we do, and smiles ruefully at me.
She has simple Qs...do you like what you hear? Are you enjoying your music?
If you can answer Yes to these, no need to fuss or doubt yourself.

Rossco

Feb 10, 2022
My GF hears about all the navel gazing, soul searching, and descriptions fussing/busting we do, and smiles ruefully at me.
She has simple Qs...do you like what you hear? Are you enjoying your music?
If you can answer Yes to these, no need to fuss or doubt yourself.
Indeed, so true, thanks spiritofmusic

carl13

Feb 6, 2020
I have Magnepans LRS’s and originally linked them to my Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III and thought wow this is a great sound. Loved it. Then for hits and giggles I connected up Decware SE34I-5 6 watt amp and yes the bass isn’t at tight at the Rogue Audio and it will distort if pushed too far (but for a lot but not all of the music I listen too and the levels I listen too it is fine) the little Decware sounds better. Seems to have a blacker background, more transparent, still lovely warm sounding and dynamics are amazing good (I listen a bit Prog rock etc). To get over the few limitations I am considering bridging it a 12watt mono and buying another so I will have two 12 watt mono blocks. Am I crazy. Everywhere I read it says Maggie’s require lots and lots of power. Maybe I have weird hearing, I don’t know. Any thoughts?

System is
Mac Mini running Audirv?na
Denafrips Pontus II DAC
Triode Wire Labs speakers cables and interconnects
2 x Rel T/5i subwoofers
Magnepan LRS Speakers
Decware SE34I-5 6watt integrated amp
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III 55watt triode/100watt ultralinear integrated amp
Room 13x13x9 feet
Better output transformers and ZERO negative feedback.

Rossco

Feb 10, 2022

Quick question Don. If I decide to upgrade my Maggie LRS to say the 1.7i would the amp I use with the LRS be sufficient and work just as well with the 1.7i’s. The spec’s on both appear to be the same.
Regards
Ross

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Quick question Don. If I decide to upgrade my Maggie LRS to say the 1.7i would the amp I use with the LRS be sufficient and work just as well with the 1.7i’s. The spec’s on both appear to be the same.
Regards
Ross
Probably... Panel area gets you more bass and the ability to play louder as well as a bigger "presence". That said, it all comes down to how loud you like it and how far you are from them. If those do not change, you'll probably be OK. At least as far as driving your Maggies; sanity we've already discussed and dismissed, yes? :)

Rossco

Feb 10, 2022
Probably... Panel area gets you more bass and the ability to play louder as well as a bigger "presence". That said, it all comes down to how loud you like it and how far you are from them. If those do not change, you'll probably be OK. At least as far as driving your Maggies; sanity we've already discussed and dismissed, yes? :)
Thanks again Don, I am using the standard distance away at the moment with the LRS’s i.e. speakers 6 feet apart and sitting 10 feet away and it is ok, better I assume when I double the wattage.

cfgardei1

Nov 8, 2022
I think (if you have the room for them), the 3.7i's are the way to go (they are at the apex of the price-vs-performance curves). I love my 3.7s / Parasound / Bluesound Node - Tidal. But, when I want LOUD, I go into the basement where my Klipsch LaScalas are...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing