AMP COMPARISON

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
Hello, friends, I am looking at some amps to replace my Ypsilon Aelius Mk2 not that I am unhappy with it but just the audiophile itch to hear something else
the amps I am looking at are Analog Domain Clysto, Technical Brain, BAlabo.
If anyone has heard them with a comparison to Ypsilon please voice your opinion which will be appreciated.
Thank you
Oh, and I will be driving the Ascendo flagship M5S SE external crossover 91db @8 Omhs.

Last edited by a moderator:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello, friends, I am looking at some amps to replace my Ypsilon Aelius Mk2 not that I am unhappy with it but just the audiophile itch to hear something else
If anyone has heard them with a comparison to Ypsilon please voice your opinion which will be appreciated.
Thank you
Oh, and I will be driving the Ascendo flagship M5S SE external crossover 91db @8 Omhs.
Why only SS?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
not SS only if you can recommend better please feel free
Aries Cerat Concero 65 or Ianus monos (special type of hybrid). KR Audio DX monos, Larger NATs, maybe New Audio Frontiers reference monos. There are some other 45+ watt SETs out there worth exploring.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
not SS only if you can recommend better please feel free
How is your system plans going? Last I heard you were to sell your Ypsilon DAC. Now the amp....
The Ypsilon gear is very good IMO. The Kassandra will beat the DAC, and the Concero's beat the amp. I would try and get to hear some Aries Cerat. It would play to the strengths of your current gear, but take things further for you, more of the good stuff.

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
Hi friends ultimately did the room the bass is lacking maybe need to do speaker placement properly

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-03-15 at 5.30.50 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-03-15 at 5.30.50 PM.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 100
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-03-19 at 10.11.44 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-03-19 at 10.11.44 AM.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 109
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-03-19 at 10.27.05 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-03-19 at 10.27.05 PM.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 108

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
How is your system plans going? Last I heard you were to sell your Ypsilon DAC. Now the amp....
The Ypsilon gear is very good IMO. The Kassandra will beat the DAC, and the Concero's beat the amp. I would try and get to hear some Aries Cerat. It would play to the strengths of your current gear, but take things further for you, more of the good stuff.
Yes the Ypsilon gear is infact very good though good is a mild word for the level the Ypsilon plays but I sure would like to try the Aries Cerat but they are not available in India

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Thank you
Seems a perfect match for David Bernings Quadrature Z ( disclaimer: I am selling some of my Berning gear, as I simply have other Berning amps that fit my low power needs. And Audio Consulting for even lower power needs..this is where my open baffle pap voxativ brought me!.)

Seriously: Quadrature Z monos are constantly up there when somebody mentions top amplification, and me as a violinist have never heard a grand piano or high string sounds as with Bernings..

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I would look at the Aries Cerat Concero mono blocks. Big bottle SETs, so you get the full appreciation of what SETs can do, not a hybrid like Ypsilon. FB-welcome3.jpg FB-welcome2.jpg

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I would avoid tubes unless you have speakers with at least 92dB/W sensitivity. The amps must have fairly low output impedance at low frequencies to get tight bass. Short-throw woofers help.

Some SS amps that I have been impressed with are:

1) D'Agostino monoblocks
2) Wells Audio
3) Merrilll Audio - switching amps

I listen to different amps at every show and very few SS impress me.

Steve N.

Reactions: sbo6

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Second that. Though 65W SETs from Aries Cerat (designed right) can drive speakers lower than that figure. In fact there was a glowing review recently on the baby Genus Integrated that was actually driving big 4 way 92dB efficient speakers really well.

It is in the design of the PS and size of the output transformers amongst other factors. And big bottle tubes seem to drive best, such as 211, 845 and 813s.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I would avoid tubes unless you have speakers with at least 92dB/W sensitivity. The amps must have fairly low output impedance at low frequencies to get tight bass. Short-throw woofers help.

Some SS amps that I have been impressed with are:

1) D'Agostino monoblocks
2) Wells Audio
3) Merrilll Audio - switching amps

I listen to different amps at every show and very few SS impress me.

Steve N.
X2 for Wells (I have the Innamoratta) and Merrill Audio which I've heard. I haven't heard tube bass come close except for a few.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I would recommend the high-power all-tube amplifiers from ARC, VAC and VTL (as much power output as you can afford) and hybrid Aesthetix amps and hybrid Lamm amps. I second the KR Audio recommendation.

Last edited:

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
I would recommend the high-power all-tube amplifiers from ARC, VAC and VTL (as much power output as you can afford) and hybrid Aesthetix amps and hybrid Lamm amps. I second the KR Audio recommendation.
Ron I am going for Canary audio M600 50W class A my speaker sensitivity is 91db at 8ohms I hope they can drive the speakers

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron I am going for Canary audio M600 50W class A my speaker sensitivity is 91db at 8ohms I hope they can drive the speakers

I wish you the best of luck!

I don’t want to rain on the parade but I don’t think that driving speakers with barely adequate power is a good idea. I believe strongly in “overkill” power to provide ease and a relaxed presentation and dynamic reserve capability and head room. Sure sound will come out, but will the speakers really be properly controlled and driven?

My Martin-Logan Prodigys had the same 91dB sensitivity, albeit with an impedance of 4 ohms, declining to 1 ohm at 20kHz. I drove them with 350 or 700 watts.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Colekat

Sep 7, 2015
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
Thank you
I owned the Aelius Amps for three years ... loved them ... look at the EMM Mono Blocks ... you will be very surprised !

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
I wish you the best of luck!

I don’t want to rain on the parade but I don’t think that driving speakers with barely adequate power is a good idea. I believe strongly in “overkill” power to provide ease and a relaxed presentation and dynamic reserve capability and head room. Sure sound will come out, but will the speakers really be properly controlled and driven?

My Martin-Logan Prodigys had the same 91dB sensitivity, albeit with an impedance of 4 ohms, declining to 1 ohm at 20kHz. I drove them with 350 or 700 watts.
I saw a you tube video running the same speakers with a set amp of line magnetic of 24W the 219 IA so why do you think a 50w class A push pull will not do the trick

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing