AMP or Sonos?

Jeza

Nov 12, 2022
My well serving Onkyo AMP of over 15 years needs to be replaced and I’m tossing up whether to get a new AMP to use with the existing speakers OR to go down the Sonos route.

Key considerations/functionality/needs
  • TV is an old Plasma that has no digital tv tuner and can’t connect to the Internet. I don’t really want to replace it.
  • Use a Sonos (or alternative) controller on my phone
  • Listen to Spotify and other streaming content
  • Plug in Apple TV and Cable TV
  • Use existing speakers
Can anyone confirm for me just what is available via a Sonos setup and what I should consider?

Thx

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
My well serving Onkyo AMP of over 15 years needs to be replaced and I’m tossing up whether to get a new AMP to use with the existing speakers OR to go down the Sonos route.

Key considerations/functionality/needs
  • TV is an old Plasma that has no digital tv tuner and can’t connect to the Internet. I don’t really want to replace it.
  • Use a Sonos (or alternative) controller on my phone
  • Listen to Spotify and other streaming content
  • Plug in Apple TV and Cable TV
  • Use existing speakers
Can anyone confirm for me just what is available via a Sonos setup and what I should consider?

Thx
Sorry to deliver the bad news, but you can't do it with the Sonos AMP. To connect audio from the TV you need an optical input.

You can use our Zen Stream for digital music, with a Zen One Signature as a DAC for both TV and streaming and any amplifier that you want :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing