Amp suggestions for Marten Coltrane Tenor

JayT

Oct 10, 2017
Hi Crom. Ended up with the tried and tested Vitus Combo. While it wouldn't grab your attention straight away, it gives me hours upon hours of listening without fatigue, which is something I really appreciate in an amplifier. The Audionet did give me something to think about, but to me, those amplifiers shine with single ended interconnects. Unfortunately,I'm already in too deep with balanced connections so didn't pursue it further. While I have not heard the current Karan amps, I have heard ASI amps paired with the Martens. Believe they are made by Karan as well? Oodles of power but I found Vitus gave more refinement. Recently I have been intrigued by Pilium amplifiers. In a casual listen (albeit with different speakers) I find it gives both power and refinement in equal measure. Might explore that in a couple of years time, but maybe another option for you to consider? Hope this helps a little!

Crom

Feb 11, 2016
Thanks JayT, I have Vitus SS-101 at the moment and it's fabulous - it sounds like maybe I should stick with what I know. I've heard the big 2000 Karan Monos but not the new POWERa's which are reportedly (on this site and in press, hifi+) excellent. Pilium seems to be getting a lot of attention recently. The name has come up a few times in my hunt but I've not heard of them before - I will investigate. Thanks for the tip!

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Hi all, currently a happy user of Marten Coltrane Tenors (mk1) speakers and Vitus SL-102 and SM 010 amps. DAC is CH Precision C1 and Ayon CDT 2 as a transport.

Recently the SM 010 developed buzzing on one of the amps, and the local dealer has given me a great deal for the SS 103. However, before I commit, I would like to ask everyone's opinion on what else I should consider?

I listen to vocals, piano, indie and some orchestral pieces now and then.

Any suggestions are welcome, but I prefer solid state.

Some amps I have listened to are Vitus (current amps), Soulution Integrated(a bit too "clinical" for my liking"), Dan D'Agostino (I like them, but not sure if they will match with my Vitus Pre), Gryphon Integrated (Too...dark?), but happy to take any suggestions.

Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing