Amp suggestions for Marten Coltrane Tenor

JayT

Oct 10, 2017
Hi all, currently a happy user of Marten Coltrane Tenors (mk1) speakers and Vitus SL-102 and SM 010 amps. DAC is CH Precision C1 and Ayon CDT 2 as a transport.

Recently the SM 010 developed buzzing on one of the amps, and the local dealer has given me a great deal for the SS 103. However, before I commit, I would like to ask everyone's opinion on what else I should consider?

I listen to vocals, piano, indie and some orchestral pieces now and then.

Any suggestions are welcome, but I prefer solid state.

Some amps I have listened to are Vitus (current amps), Soulution Integrated(a bit too "clinical" for my liking"), Dan D'Agostino (I like them, but not sure if they will match with my Vitus Pre), Gryphon Integrated (Too...dark?), but happy to take any suggestions.

Thanks!

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Jay, congrats that's a nice system you've got there! One option you might not have considered is the new Vitus SIA-030 integrated. It is based on the Masterpiece series mono's, and i'm confident it would be a nice upgrade from your current amps. And you could trade up your full set of Vitus amps & divert the savings toward another upgrade or to buy music.

Reactions: JayT

JayT

Oct 10, 2017
Jay, congrats that's a nice system you've got there! One option you might not have considered is the new Vitus SIA-030 integrated. It is based on Masterpiece series mono's, and i'm confident it would be a nice upgrade from your current amps. And you could trade up your full set of Vitus amps and use the savings for another upgrade or to buy music.

Hi Bodhi! Your posts have been very informative to me since I was based in Australia and a frequent visitor of SNA. In fact, I got my original SIA 025 to pair with my marten miles 5 partly due to reading some of your posts.

I did think about the Vitus SIA030, but another thing I am concerned about is the length of my interconnects, which are 1m long. I cannot fit into the SIA30 into my racks, so it will have to be away from the racks, and 1m would not be enough. The interconnects cost too much for me to replace with a longer length unfortunately.

Still that would definitely be an option I will consider. If I go into Integrateds, the Audionet Humboldt is another amp that I am thinking of...

Reactions: Bodhi

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Maybe this helps you a bit. Pictures were taken at Marten HQ i think two years ago when i was visiting them and these amps were used with i believe your speakers. Olaf told me that MSB on the picture was in for repair and test afterwards so other two were resident amps... 9408B3BE-DDC8-4193-8EBD-3DA029937853.jpeg 0D4C1489-0A0C-4FA0-8B63-AF9F9858E72D.jpeg

Reactions: JayT

JayT

Oct 10, 2017
Maybe this helps you a bit. Pictures were taken at Marten HQ i think two years ago when i was visiting them and these amps were used with i believe your speakers. Olaf told me that MSB on the picture was in for repair and test afterwards so other two were resident amps... View attachment 53120 View attachment 53121
Wow! That setup looks amazing! I think those are Analog Domain Amps, and I was also considering an attractive offer for their integrated, but the same issues I have above applies...

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Jay - easy - Audia Flight , either Strumento 4 for stereo or Strumento 8's for monos. And best of all I'm pretty sure your dealer carries Audia Flight.

I had ur speakers with Vitus, integrated then monos, Absolare monos, and now Audia Flight monos. AF is the best in taming the ceramic drivers and providing huge current and control.

cheers paul

Reactions: bonzo75 and Bodhi

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Well the Vitus + Marten combo sure is nice. I'm a big fan. Can you get your buzzing amp repaired? Alternatively, the Dartzeel amps are a very sensible choice with Marten, speaking from daily experience. I would be happy long term with either combination.

Reactions: Golum and Bodhi

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Hi Bodhi! Your posts have been very informative to me since I was based in Australia and a frequent visitor of SNA. In fact, I got my original SIA 025 to pair with my marten miles 5 partly due to reading some of your posts.

I did think about the Vitus SIA030, but another thing I am concerned about is the length of my interconnects, which are 1m long. I cannot fit into the SIA30 into my racks, so it will have to be away from the racks, and 1m would not be enough. The interconnects cost too much for me to replace with a longer length unfortunately.

Still that would definitely be an option I will consider. If I go into Integrateds, the Audionet Humboldt is another amp that I am thinking of...
Thanks for your kind words Jay. The SIA 025 is a lovely amp, and would be a perfect match with the Miles 5, but I agree would be a bit lean power-wise driving the Tenors which as Pweg pointed out need a lot of power.

Yes fitting a large integrated like the SIA-030 into a system with multiple components could be a challenge if you want to stick with your 1.0mtr xlr's. My solution will be to start from scratch using a triple-width 3-shelf Timberation rack which already has good shelf height and is customizeable, and place the 030 on the bottom, centre shelf of the rack. That way I should be able to get away with 1.0mtr ic's based on my planned system configuration. Though I can understand if you don't want to upend your system by changing racks.

Re: Audionet. I asked my Dealer about them & he said It's more mid end than high end gear (similar to Accustic Arts), and not on the same level as Vitus Signature series. Another thing to consider is resale value. Audionet could be difficult to sell.

Re: Pweg's suggestion of the Audia Flight Strumento amps. Firstly there isn't an audiophile in my neck I respect more than this guy. He is right, the AF amps have great synergy with Marten. The No.4 stereo amp has gobs of power, sounds warm, harmonically rich, a little bit tube-like, has good bass and is very good value. The No.8 mono's are even more dynamic sounding, have a lower noise floor and a greater sense of 'ease'. Another thing to consider is, the input impedance of the Strumento stereo/mono amps is somewhat low at 7.5k?, therefore they are best paired with the matching No.1 preamp, which reportedly is not as good as the power amp or mono's.

If you're going for separates, the AF amps are damn good. Though you might find the Vitus SL-102/SS-103 combo more natural/organic sounding and tube-like, still on the warm, musical side, though a bit more neutral than the AF combo. Given the SL-102 is a better preamp than the AF No.1 imho, if you can swing a killer deal on the SS-103 amp that would be my recommendation. The SS-103 despite it's modest quoted specs has a ton of current, and will take your power-hungry Coltranes by the scruff. Whatever you decide, I wouldn't recommend mixing your Vitus pre with the AF stereo or mono amps. Rule of thumb: Vitus sounds best with Vitus.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayT and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Maybe this helps you a bit. Pictures were taken at Marten HQ i think two years ago when i was visiting them and these amps were used with i believe your speakers. Olaf told me that MSB on the picture was in for repair and test afterwards so other two were resident amps... View attachment 53120 View attachment 53121
sure like those NAT Transmitter monos in this photo!

Tao201

Feb 21, 2020
Jay - easy - Audia Flight , either Strumento 4 for stereo or Strumento 8's for monos. And best of all I'm pretty sure your dealer carries Audia Flight.

I had ur speakers with Vitus, integrated then monos, Absolare monos, and now Audia Flight monos. AF is the best in taming the ceramic drivers and providing huge current and control.

cheers paul
Hi Pweg

what type of speaker cable do you use with AF ?

Tao201

Feb 21, 2020
Thank you Paul , have you ever try HiDiamond cable genesis?
also looking for the Jorma speaker cable , it’s look too expensive

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Hi Diamond is Boris's cheaper range - ive never heard .... at that price point i would use the Purist. I started with Jorma - i find them a bit too lean.... i had 3 sets all the way up to prime and reference

buy the Purist poseidon

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
AVM is also awesome with Marten!

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I use Tara Labs Omega Evolution..... but im also a fan of Purist Audio Design Neptune
The price difference between these two cables are day and night… how about the sound?

Crom

Feb 11, 2016
Hi @JayT I'd be interested in where your journey led you if you have a minute to post an update. I have the same speaker shortlisted and am considering Vitus or Karan amplification.
Has anyone heard the Karen:Marten combination?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing