ampex 2000

Rekmeyata

Nov 20, 2021
I cannot find any information about Ampex 2000 reel to reel machines. The Ampex doesn't have recording meters which isn't a big deal since I'm not going to be recording, so my question is how is this machine for playing back pre-recorded tapes? does it have a large frequency response? how is the sound separation? How much is this machine worth? Any information would be appreciated.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I cannot find any information about Ampex 2000 reel to reel machines. The Ampex doesn't have recording meters which isn't a big deal since I'm not going to be recording, so my question is how is this machine for playing back pre-recorded tapes? does it have a large frequency response? how is the sound separation? How much is this machine worth? Any information would be appreciated.
Welcome to wbf.I’m sorry I don’t know anything about it.

Rekmeyata

Nov 20, 2021
I did read that, but it says nothing in particular about the 2000, no specs, not much information other than an advertising page. What I want to know is how good is the machine for high quality sound playback, and was it a good machine. In other words, what is anybody's thoughts on this machine?

By the way, all the machine says on it is 2000 series, it doesn't say 2050 or some other number just 2000 Series.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I did read that, but it says nothing in particular about the 2000, no specs, not much information other than an advertising page. What I want to know is how good is the machine for high quality sound playback, and was it a good machine. In other words, what is anybody's thoughts on this machine?

By the way, all the machine says on it is 2000 series, it doesn't say 2050 or some other number just 2000 Series.
Depends on the model.they certainly made excellent tape machines.

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
Here are the specifications:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 9.09.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 9.09.37 AM.png
    747.7 KB · Views: 12

Rekmeyata

Nov 20, 2021
Do those specs look good to you guys, or are they a bit underwhelming to you compared to other decks? Like I said, I won't be recording with it, I will only be playing prerecorded tapes, but I want it to sound really good in the playback section, and I thought 7 1/2 speed was inferior to 15?, and it looks like that Ampex can only do 7 1/2.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Do those specs look good to you guys, or are they a bit underwhelming to you compared to other decks? Like I said, I won't be recording with it, I will only be playing prerecorded tapes, but I want it to sound really good in the playback section, and I thought 7 1/2 speed was inferior to 15?, and it looks like that Ampex can only do 7 1/2.
What does it sound like?

Rekmeyata

Nov 20, 2021
What does it sound like?
I haven't heard it, it's for sale on Craigslist, so that's why I'm trying to find out if it's worth $100 and would it provide very high quality (stereo) sound before I spend money. I don't mind spending a little money to have it checked out and any repairs if needed if the machine is worth it, otherwise I will pass and wait for something different to come along.

Rekmeyata

Nov 20, 2021
I contacted the guy, it's a Ampex 2013 model, any thoughts on this?

So, the internet says that the 2013 is the speakers it came with, and the recorder is a 2060, with 2001 mics. It's nearly the same as the 2070 minus the speakers. So I guess this thing is portable, but it does have line outs.

Last edited:

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
To be honest with you as much of an Ampex fan as I am I don't believe that particular series was very good. I would recommend considering one of the very popular Sony tape decks of that era, such as the TC-355 or TC-377 in good condition. The Teac machines are another consideration, however invariably they will have dried lubrication on the mechanical assemblies but a simple cleaning and re-lubrication is easily done. Models such as the Teac 4010 or 1500 will sound much better providing they are in good condition. Then there's the venerable Revox A77 that continues to sound excellent and is relatively easy to service.
Here is a link to a HiFi News article by Ken Kessler on tape deck recommendations.

Rekmeyata

Nov 20, 2021
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing about that Ampex, but wanted to make sure. But I ran into another situation in regards to these reel to reels, another person I was talking to say's that the tape heads wear out and they're not available anymore to replace, neither are the capstan wheels, so I'm not sure if I want something that old only to find out the heads are worn and I can't replace them. They're even having major problems getting other electronic replacement parts for those reel to reels. Not sure if the information I got is accurate though, if it is, then I have to try to find a machine that has very little use which of course would make it really expensive from prices I saw.

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
It's easy to become discouraged about adding magnetic tape to a sound system, yes heads do become worn out and pinch rollers need replacing, but there can be significant rewards. Tape play back is the only format (digital or analogue) where the left and right audio channels remain separate from each other all the way through the playback chain. Every other format, vinyl records, FM radio broadcast, compact disc and downloading blend the two channels together and use either mechanical or electronic processes to separate the channels.
Do you already have some tapes you'd want to listen to?

Rekmeyata

Nov 20, 2021
No, I don't have any tapes, I was going to slowly buy tapes when I found a machine. Interesting info about the tape and how the channels are recorded, I never knew that, so why is it that prerecorded cassettes never seemed to have that much stereo separation vs disk or vinyl, well even digital FM has better separation?

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
With the exception of the prerecorded cassette tapes made by Advent most of them didn't fulfill the potential capability possible. Also some of the London and Mobile Fidelity cassettes sounded very good provided they were played on a good quality deck.
Do you have an idea of which tape format you'll want to collect? That might help narrow down the choices.

Rekmeyata

Nov 20, 2021
being new to the reel to reel stuff, I'm not sure what tape format. I do know that the wider the tape the better the sound, but what I don't know is how wide does prerecorded tape come? I'm more into the rock and smooth jazz side of the spectrum, not too much into classical which I read that classical uses wider tape format than the other stuff uses.

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
The tape itself is 1/4" wide, what varies are the arrangements of the magnetic tracks on the tape and the recorded tape speed. The most prevalent track arrangement is 4 track (also called quarter track) this means the tape's width is divided into four sections. Most of the prerecorded rock and jazz tapes will be 4 track, meaning you will want a 4 track tape deck that can play both 7 1/2 and 3 3/4 tape speed. Fortunately the majority of the decks you'll see will be this format.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing