Amplifier For My Turntable + Home Cinema?

DarthTangYang

May 21, 2023
Sweden
Hello!
I am just getting back into vinyl after a 25 year hiatus and am in desperate need of some good advice. I have just received my father's old equipment and realized the amplifier isn't working properly. It's an old "Technics SA-101 FM/AM Stereo Receiver" that he's been using as the amplifier for his turntable since the early 80's or late 70's. But its left output doesn't work so I will need to get a new amplifier of some kind and it got me thinking, perhaps I could get an amp that could also function as the surround sound system for my television? Or should I get a dedicated amplifier for just my turntable? And if so, what should I think about when looking for one? I'm not looking to spend a fortune on the amplifier but somewhere around $250, at the absolute most $300.

The turntable is a "Philips 777 Direct Control" which works somewhat. The automatic start doesn't work so I have to place the needle on a vinyl record manually. But other than that it seem to work well. I will probably buy a new turntable at some point but right now I need to get the system going and for that I first and foremost need an amplifier.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Since you mention that you would consider incorporating the TT into an HT based system, I would mention that many of the new AVRs with 5 or more channels to run surround sound also include MM phono stages.

But in my opinion your budget is too low for any solution. At that price point, just go to Best Buy or Electronics Express and get advice from their staff.

If you can up the budget to $400 - $500, you might get a Denon AVR with MM. I’ve got one in a small HT that I put together for my toddler grandson. He thinks it’s cool. I like it “for what it is.”

DarthTangYang

May 21, 2023
Sweden
Since you mention that you would consider incorporating the TT into an HT based system, I would mention that many of the new AVRs with 5 or more channels to run surround sound also include MM phono stages.

But in my opinion your budget is too low for any solution. At that price point, just go to Best Buy or Electronics Express and get advice from their staff.

If you can up the budget to $400 - $500, you might get a Denon AVR with MM. I’ve got one in a small HT that I put together for my toddler grandson. He thinks it’s cool. I like it “for what it is.”
I ended up buying a used Denon AVR-2106, which has a phono input. I got it for $115 and that included a 5.1 speaker system, (Yamaha front, center & rear speakers) with a Jamo subwoofer. It sounds great.

Reactions: Another Johnson

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing