Ampzilla and Magneplanar20.7 is it a good match?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
This is a possible combination I am considering but have not seen the two paired up. Does the Ampzilla produce the proper amount of current for the long haul and loud levels.
Anyone have any experience with this pairing?
Asking here as to not impose on Keith's thread.

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
How large is the space you need to energize?

I haven't heard Ampzilla 2000 2nd Edition into Maggie 20.7s, but I think the Ampzilla is a good bet for that speaker. I get there by some triangulation. First, keep in mind that the Ampzilla 2000 has a 2000VA power transformer (supplemented by 100,000 mfd of filtering & reserve. Second, if you read Don Saltzman's review of the 20.7 in Absolute Sound, he got very good performance from the monoblocks version of the Aesthetix Atlas Signature, which are rated 300w @ 8 ohms, and 600w into 4 ohms. The Ampzilla is rated for 300w @ 8 ohms and 540w @ 4 ohms, a conservative spec. Third, we know that the Ampzilla produces enough drive for the difficult and inefficient YG Hailey. Fourth, on Zu Definition, a nominal 6 ohms speaker with a relatively smooth impedance curve like Magneplanar, the amps are dramatically energetic in a consistent way up and down the speaker's 16Hz - 20kHz frequency range, albeit @ 101db/w/m efficiency.

If you try the Ampzilla with Magnepans, understand that if new, the amp will sound very stiff and somewhat closed-in. I think it will improve for 1000 hours or so, but Keith's pair made rapid progress over the first 50-75 hours and then gains became incremental. That is to say, if you put a new pair of Ampzillas on Maggie 20.7s, they may sound like they are shy of the needed output, but a little break-in will liberate their true potential energy.

Another good bet is the SPL Performer m1000. It has a 1375VA power transformer along with also 100,000 mfd of filtering. These monoblocks are rated 750w @ 4 ohms and 1000w @ 2 ohms. I've heard the same-design little brother stereo version (m800) on inefficient speakers. The design is energetic with fast, agile, musical sound.

Both amps are stable down to 1 ohm and are meticulously protected electrically. If you want a viable solid state amp for Magneplanar, the design principles of the Ampzilla and SPL are what you want -- large power supplies with big reserve, stability approaching a short circuit, intrinsically musically-convincing presentation.

Phil

Last edited:
Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Phil is correct in theorizing that the Ampzillas will work well on Magnapan 20.7s.

I can report based on leisurely listening experience that the Aesthetix Atlas Monos sound great to my ears on Magnepan 20.7s. If one cannot afford my favorite amps for driving those speakers (ARC REF750SE or VTL Siegfried IIs (VAC 450s likely sound wonderful as well but I have no personal experience with them on Magnepan speakers)) then Aesthetix Atlas Monos are my favorite, high-value-for-sound-quality choice.

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Thank you Phil and Ron, this is all very useful information.
I just read another review and I believe this to be true:

The Spread Spectrum Technologies Ampzilla 2000 Second Edition power amplifiers are the most neutral and enjoyable sounding amps I have heard in my systems. My perfect amplifier would offer faultless sound, be affordable and easy to install, not heat the room, have no ongoing maintenance, and be inexpensive to operate. I believe that amplifier is in my listening room right now! If you are shopping in the $20k plus range, you will ignore these no matter how good they sound. For the rest of us, these are happy days! Live long and prosper.

Phil
The room size at the moment is yet to be determined. We will be moving in the coming months but a requirement of the new place when we find it will have enough room for the Maggies to work their magic, even if I have to build it, though I would prefer not too.

Mike

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Phil is correct in theorizing that the Ampzillas will work well on Magnapan 20.7s.

I can report based on leisurely listening experience that the Aesthetix Atlas Monos sound great to my ears on Magnepan 20.7s. If one cannot afford my favorite amps for driving those speakers (ARC REF750SE or VTL Siegfried IIs (VAC 450s likely sound wonderful as well but I have no personal experience with them on Magnepan speakers)) then Aesthetix Atlas Monos are my favorite, high-value-for-sound-quality choice.

Marty rates the Aesthetix atlas highly as well.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Mike in your position I wouldn't buy the 20.7. Maggie are excellent as value speakers, going up to 3.7i.

20.7 budget you get much better speakers. And you are a budget guy, and you listen more to rock. Bass is the weak point for Maggie's unlike the similar apogees, unless you know some quality modder.

Tannoy monitor 15 golds are imo a better choice for rock (as well as other music) much cheaper, or learn to build yourself to compete with neighbor Mike.

Reactions: gian60 and bazelio

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Mike in your position I wouldn't buy the 20.7. Maggie are excellent as value speakers, going up to 3.7i.

20.7 budget you get much better speakers. And you are a budget guy, and you listen more to rock. Bass is the weak point for Maggie's unlike the similar apogees, unless you know some quality modder.

Tannoy monitor 15 golds are imo a better choice for rock (as well as other music) much cheaper, or learn to build yourself to compete with neighbor Mike.

The 3.7i was top of the list for awhile. While I accept the title of Rocker, proudly I might add, I am more of a RockJazzBluesProger.

At the end of the day I have zero desire to "compete" with Mike or Steve at that level, financially speaking anyways. I do however compete with the best on trying to get the best from what I have.

I know the sound I like and the Maggies give me that. I like the speakers to disappear and to me they do that the best. Every cone speaker I have ever listened to, while sounding amazing, I am always very aware of where the high end is coming from and its a distraction for me. To my ears a six foot long ribbon disappears better than a single small point source driver.

I have never heard a horn I liked. Have not heard them outside of an audio show environment but the ones I have heard send me scrambling for the door.

On the subject of bass I will be implementing sub-woofers with the Maggies. If there is one thing I have learned through my travels is that evidently I like more bass than most audiophiles, not boomy, just more with authority. Its just my preference. I am a smiley face EQ guy, except I dont cut the midrange down. So the Maggies do everything I want and love from the highs to mid bass and the subs fill in the hole at the bottom.

For demonstration purposes only :eek:

1583102708387.jpeg

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Marty rates the Aesthetix atlas highly as well.

Heard it several years ago at RMAF and liked it. I'd also mention that the original GAS Ampzilla and Magneplanars were a true audiophile legendary combo in their day (late 70's). I suspect a pairing of the latest iterations of both would also be impressive

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Heard it several years ago at RMAF and liked it. I'd also mention that the original GAS Ampzilla and Magneplanars were a true audiophile legendary combo in their day (late 70's). I suspect a pairing of the latest iterations of both would also be impressive

Yep!- I always recall listening to the triple Maggies and Tri amped Ampzillas at James B's Condo--real lease breakers!:p!

BruceD

Reactions: jeff1225

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
hi-fi, I had 20.7 for years. They replaced Wilson WP7. I drove them with Krell 350mcx monos and later with Mac 601 monos. I choose the Mac due to heat from the Krell. I did extensive A/b and the macs were a tad darker which I liked. The maggies do like a lot of power. I experimented with Vandy Sub 3 pair with richards hi end (system 7) xover. What a dramatic difference! although later I missed the true Maggie planner bass a bit. Richards xover starts around 100hz. I would have liked a lower start point. I loved the 20.7 , they compete with speaker 5 times as much. Good luck on your choice.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
There is no theory. They were born to crack the whip on low impedance speakers. There are few amps that can do what they’ll do with them.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The 3.7i was top of the list for awhile. While I accept the title of Rocker, proudly I might add, I am more of a RockJazzBluesProger.

At the end of the day I have zero desire to "compete" with Mike or Steve at that level, financially speaking anyways. I do however compete with the best on trying to get the best from what I have.

I know the sound I like and the Maggies give me that. I like the speakers to disappear and to me they do that the best. Every cone speaker I have ever listened to, while sounding amazing, I am always very aware of where the high end is coming from and its a distraction for me. To my ears a six foot long ribbon disappears better than a single small point source driver.

I have never heard a horn I liked. Have not heard them outside of an audio show environment but the ones I have heard send me scrambling for the door.

On the subject of bass I will be implementing sub-woofers with the Maggies. If there is one thing I have learned through my travels is that evidently I like more bass than most audiophiles, not boomy, just more with authority. Its just my preference. I am a smiley face EQ guy, except I dont cut the midrange down. So the Maggies do everything I want and love from the highs to mid bass and the subs fill in the hole at the bottom.

For demonstration purposes only :eek:

View attachment 62344

Some blues for you

Reactions: gian60

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing