Andre Previn Dead at 89 - February 28, 2019

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/André_Previn

Previn lived at least four, maybe five musicians lives. As a fine jazz pianist, a movie score composer, a classical composer, a classical pianist and a conductor, (and a fine narrator and explainer of classical music for television). We only heard him during the last ten years. He was quite stooped over but still actively conducting the London Symphony and we often heard him in our annual sojourns to London. We also have a wonderful set of DVD's he narrated on the major Mozart Piano Concertos which also told the story of Mozart's life - he also performed with other great pianists in the series called "Mozart on Tour." I have the separate DVDs but you can buy the entire 13 hours on one bluray for $40 (not in bluray definition however).

Previn has many recordings he did while the music director of the London Symphony on EMI that are on the TAS Superdisc list, I think all produced and engineered by the two Christophers (Bishop and Parker). Besides all of his EMI and RCA (engineered by Decca) classical recordings on vinyl, I have master tape copies of three of them, his Carmina Burana and Holst Planets and Rachmaninoff Second Symphony. He may be the only artist who has two different recordings of the same piece on the TAS list, the Rachmaninoff Symphony 2 which he recorded with Decca for RCA in the mid '60's and with EMI which he recorded a decade later. Decca engineer Mike Mailes told me that at one recording session with Previn, someone told him that it was Mike's birthday, and Previn immediately sat down at the piano and improvised a seven minute piece on variations on the Happy Birthday song. Decca engineer John Dunkerley was engineer for the Previn Vaughan Williams symphony series for RCA and worked as engineer with Wilkie for the great Radu Lupu Grieg and Schumann Piano Concerto album with Previn conducting the LSO for Decca.

Ashkenazy did a two piano recording for Decca with Previn playing the Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances. During the recording session Ashkenazy asked Previn how long it took him to learn his part. Previn said 'About two weeks". Previn then asked Ashkenazy how long he took to learn his part. Ashkenazy replied "About two years!."

Two of his five marriages were quite notable.

His third marriage was to then young movie star Mia Farrow, who had recently been divorced from Frank Sinatra. John Dunkerley told me that Farrow would come the recording sessions he did for Decca (for RCA) with the LSO and sit in the recording booth with the producer and engineer. John said it was unusual and distracting. Their adopted daughter Soon-Yi Previn later became Woody Allen's wife in a major scandal.

After his fourth marriage, Previn married famed violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter in 2002 when he was 72 and she was 39. Previn had written a violin concerto dedicated to her. They continued to collaborate musically after their divorce four years later.

NPR's obit today called him a "Musical Polymath" - an apt description.

Larry

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have all kinds of his music. Andre Previn R.I.P I will miss you.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
One of my favorite Previn scores....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Vaya Con Dios Maestro. Thank you.

theophile

GOD has reclaimed another of his musical consortium. Thank you Mr Previn.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Very nicely put together Larry, I will always remember Previn when he was on the UK TV Show Morecombe and Wise such a classic comedy sketch!

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Reactions: bonzo75

theophile

Love Morecambe and Wise.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/André_Previn

Previn lived at least four, maybe five musicians lives. As a fine jazz pianist, a movie score composer, a classical composer, a classical pianist and a conductor, (and a fine narrator and explainer of classical music for television). We only heard him during the last ten years. He was quite stooped over but still actively conducting the London Symphony and we often heard him in our annual sojourns to London. We also have a wonderful set of DVD's he narrated on the major Mozart Piano Concertos which also told the story of Mozart's life - he also performed with other great pianists in the series called "Mozart on Tour." I have the separate DVDs but you can buy the entire 13 hours on one bluray for $40 (not in bluray definition however).

Previn has many recordings he did while the music director of the London Symphony on EMI that are on the TAS Superdisc list, I think all produced and engineered by the two Christophers (Bishop and Parker). Besides all of his EMI and RCA (engineered by Decca) classical recordings on vinyl, I have master tape copies of three of them, his Carmina Burana and Holst Planets and Rachmaninoff Second Symphony. He may be the only artist who has two different recordings of the same piece on the TAS list, the Rachmaninoff Symphony 2 which he recorded with Decca for RCA in the mid '60's and with EMI which he recorded a decade later. Decca engineer Mike Mailes told me that at one recording session with Previn, someone told him that it was Mike's birthday, and Previn immediately sat down at the piano and improvised a seven minute piece on variations on the Happy Birthday song. Decca engineer John Dunkerley was engineer for the Previn Vaughan Williams symphony series for RCA and worked as engineer with Wilkie for the great Radu Lupu Grieg and Schumann Piano Concerto album with Previn conducting the LSO for Decca.

Ashkenazy did a two piano recording for Decca with Previn playing the Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances. During the recording session Ashkenazy asked Previn how long it took him to learn his part. Previn said 'About two weeks". Previn then asked Ashkenazy how long he took to learn his part. Ashkenazy replied "About two years!."

Two of his five marriages were quite notable.

His third marriage was to then young movie star Mia Farrow, who had recently been divorced from Frank Sinatra. John Dunkerley told me that Farrow would come the recording sessions he did for Decca (for RCA) with the LSO and sit in the recording booth with the producer and engineer. John said it was unusual and distracting. Their adopted daughter Soon-Yi Previn later became Woody Allen's wife in a major scandal.

After his fourth marriage, Previn married famed violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter in 2002 when he was 72 and she was 39. Previn had written a violin concerto dedicated to her. They continued to collaborate musically after their divorce four years later.

NPR's obit today called him a "Musical Polymath" - an apt description.

Larry

That was a lovely tribute Larry. I too have been mightily impressed with his range and skill as a musician. I am indebted to Previn in particular for opening me up to Messiaen's Turangalilia Symphony as it made little sense to me until I heard Previn conduct it. Perhaps his affinity for Messiaen was acquired when he studied at the Paris Conservatory when he was a young teenager. Who knows? But he does Messiaen with a special flare.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing