bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard her play two hours of Goldberg at Wigmore hall last year

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What can you even start to say when you hear this?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
i literally 'hate' facebook links because i refuse to sign in to read them. and the stupid interface even blocks reading the page.

life is too short.

My sentiments exactly.

A link to a straight news page would be appreciated.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
For those with FB phobia- here is the post that Angela Hewitt did on her FB page:

I feel ready now to share a very sad piece of news. It happened ten days ago, and has been such a shock to me that I didn't immediately want to share it with the world. For the moment I will just write this, and not comment further. At the end of my most recent CD recording sessions (Beethoven Variations in Berlin), when I was so happy with the results and feeling elated, the piano movers came into the control room (where I was finishing up with my producer) to say they had dropped my precious Fazioli concert grand piano. My very own that I have used for all of my CD recordings done in Europe since 2003 (and of course for many concerts). I couldn't believe it. Well yes, it happened, and unfortunately the piano, now that it has been inspected by Ing. Fazioli and his staff, is not salvageable. The iron frame is broken, as well as much else in the structure and action (not to mention the lid and other parts of the case). It makes no sense, financially or artistically, to rebuild this piano from scratch. It's kaputt. The movers of course were mortified. In 35 years of doing their job, this had never happened before. At least nobody was hurt.

I adored this piano. It was my best friend, best companion. I loved how it felt when I was recording--giving me the possibility to do anything I wanted. It was also the only F278 Fazioli in the world to have the 4-pedal mechanism (normally reserved for the F308 model). And It only recently had new hammers and strings put on it. You will hear on the Beethoven Variations CD (when it comes out in November, I hope) that it was in top form. Now it is no longer.

For my festival this summer in Umbria, of course we will still have Faziolis--that goes without saying. And at least I have no recording scheduled in the next few months. But now there is all the insurance saga (hopefully this won't take long), and then I can choose a new one in Sacile when Mr. Fazioli has three of them ready for me. But what with his production schedule, and my touring around the world, this will take some months, I imagine.

You can hear this piano on my most recent recording--the Six Partitas of Bach (BBC Music Magazine's Record of the Month, by the way), but also on so many others. One of my favourites for the sheer quality of sound and colour from my Fazioli is the Debussy CD, of which you can hear extracts here. I hope my piano will be happy in piano heaven.....

rando

Sep 22, 2019
For future reference, Mr. Norman Lebrecht hardly lets a dinged instrument case or hard look that draw a side eye pass without being reported.

Slippedisc.com

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
For those with FB phobia- here is the post that Angela Hewitt did on her FB page:

I feel ready now to share a very sad piece of news. It happened ten days ago, and has been such a shock to me that I didn't immediately want to share it with the world. For the moment I will just write this, and not comment further. At the end of my most recent CD recording sessions (Beethoven Variations in Berlin), when I was so happy with the results and feeling elated, the piano movers came into the control room (where I was finishing up with my producer) to say they had dropped my precious Fazioli concert grand piano. My very own that I have used for all of my CD recordings done in Europe since 2003 (and of course for many concerts). I couldn't believe it. Well yes, it happened, and unfortunately the piano, now that it has been inspected by Ing. Fazioli and his staff, is not salvageable. The iron frame is broken, as well as much else in the structure and action (not to mention the lid and other parts of the case). It makes no sense, financially or artistically, to rebuild this piano from scratch. It's kaputt. The movers of course were mortified. In 35 years of doing their job, this had never happened before. At least nobody was hurt.

I adored this piano. It was my best friend, best companion. I loved how it felt when I was recording--giving me the possibility to do anything I wanted. It was also the only F278 Fazioli in the world to have the 4-pedal mechanism (normally reserved for the F308 model). And It only recently had new hammers and strings put on it. You will hear on the Beethoven Variations CD (when it comes out in November, I hope) that it was in top form. Now it is no longer.

For my festival this summer in Umbria, of course we will still have Faziolis--that goes without saying. And at least I have no recording scheduled in the next few months. But now there is all the insurance saga (hopefully this won't take long), and then I can choose a new one in Sacile when Mr. Fazioli has three of them ready for me. But what with his production schedule, and my touring around the world, this will take some months, I imagine.

You can hear this piano on my most recent recording--the Six Partitas of Bach (BBC Music Magazine's Record of the Month, by the way), but also on so many others. One of my favourites for the sheer quality of sound and colour from my Fazioli is the Debussy CD, of which you can hear extracts here. I hope my piano will be happy in piano heaven.....

Sad indeed. Thanks for posting, Larry.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing