Announcing: CJ ART108A Monos - 160-watt Class A Triode

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

1643766833753.png

Reactions: Audire

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I heard those were great amps, the CJ 12s...in fact, I recall that Andy Payor had a photo of those on his website in his reference rooms alongside many photos of the Gryphon electronics.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I heard those were great amps, the CJ 12s...in fact, I recall that Andy Payor had a photo of those on his website in his reference rooms alongside many photos of the Gryphon electronics.

I thought so. Used them to drive Audio Physics Avanti Centuries in a near-field setup along with a CJ Premier 16LS preamp. I look back fondly at that system.

16LS_a.jpg
Should not have sold this sweetheart.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I thought so. Used them to drive Audio Physics Avanti Centuries in a near-field setup along with a CJ Premier 16LS preamp. I look back fondly at that system.

View attachment 88911
Should not have sold this sweetheart.
I bet that made great music!

Reactions: tima

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Oh yes indeed! The Prem16LS & LS2 were supreme combinations of pre-power at the time. Really didn't get any better than that.

Those were the glory days... I had the ART (dual chassis preamp) partnered with the Prem8A monoblocks driving Apogee Diva's. That system was our personal reference for many years, and still to this day only a handful can truly surpass that in all areas. Now of course, it's quite different going from Diva's to CLX's but I still use Class A moded CJ monoblocks, the musicality is just superb! Nothing lacking.

However, those ART108A's are something extraordinary and to top that, the Art88 preamp is the matching one for supreme synergy. I was seriously considering it but it involves a spend of slightly over a 100grand when it lands down unda... (60grand for the monoblocks and 45grand for the Art88). So, since I really don't prefer living in the dog house, I just couldn't.

On a good note though, one unit has made its way here but will go to NZ to a very deserving customer. I'm sure the Art88 partnered with his ART27A will be an outstanding combination. Cheers to that and good on ya mate!

Have planned a trip to my usual spot next year, early Feb but this mission will be only a fact finding one, and I promised the wifey not to engage in any purchase. So it will be a dedicated audition on the Art88 and ART108A's driving the same CLX's with dual ML BF210 subs.

I think the Alsyvox Botichelli-X is still firing away, with the wonderful ART27A some where in another room. I guess that factor of higher efficiency and ease of drive pays off really well. Can't drive the CLX's with the ART27A optimally, although it can still play wonderful tunes within limits. It was like listening to the little Jas Audio 300B amp driving my previous Quad ESL 2905's partnered with the ACT2 S2. Wonderful tunes but just about right for soft music very late night sessions, nothing more.

So, I'm all very excited about this trip to seek out CJ's top of the line and learn new things. I think Jeff F has really hit the mark on these two Art series amplifiers. Truly tops!

Woof! RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing