Annoying, loud buzzing sounds from my monitor speakers

Dimitah

Mar 15, 2020
Hi guys!

This is my first post here! I have only heard of this place, but it already looks like a very informative forum to be at! Anyway, I am copying my whole post from another forum, where I didn't receive a response - and I am desperate to fix this already! All help appreciated!

So I have a relatively new pair of monitor speakers (Eris E5), with which I had no issues until only recently (started a few weeks).
What happens is when I turn them on, they are buzzing really loudly and seem to pick up mouse movement and the static noise changes in different games.

I've recently changed to a new power hub / extension socket (whatever the correct term is) and my monitor, PC, router and both monitor speakers are plugged in. So I've tried plugging a speaker to another socket, but it did not help.

I've purchased a monitor controller (MoCo Esi), which reduces just slightly the noise, but it's still absurdly loud and annoying.

I've purchased also a week ago a new motherboard (which wasn't completely related, but hoped it will make things better). It is now Aorus Z390 Master. Should have a better sound card than my last Z270 Sli Plus, but I can't feel it at this point at all as the issue is somewhere else apparently.

I have tried plugging a single monitor (I am only using 1 even now as I won't be able to cope with the buzzing of 2) while there was no peripheral or USB cables plugged in - does not make a different.

My case is still open from recent hardware changes I did (installing the motherboard and a new CPU), so now I can hear something buzzing in the PC as well and it does not sound like any of the fans working in it. Maybe I am being overparanoid in that case, can't tell.

The cables I am using currently are:

• 1/4" inch from the monitor > 1/4" inch into the monitor controller
  • 1/4" inch from the controller > 3.5 mm mono into the motherboard
Socket extension tower: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AAA0VWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cable from controller to motherboard: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XX6ML6Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tried plugging directly the speaker to the PC as well, it is even worse.

At this point I can't think of anything else to add. When it comes to sound, the hardware side of it is like the purpose of life to me - a mystery. I didn't know I had to buy a mono cable for the speakers I have for instance. So excuse me if this is a dumb post and the fix is extremely easy. Just please - help me! I want to finally listen to some clear music and hear the noises in the game I play, not the static buzzing from the otherwise quality monitors.

Thanks in advance!

A quick update:
  • Changed the extension lead to a third one - did not help
  • Tried out some new cables - none sounded better
I would really, really appreciate some help! I am dreading for some clear, proper sound!

Officially no audio is coming out any more. I am absolutely fuming at the moment... I know for a fact the monitors works as I just plugged them into a phone and there was no issues.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not a techie...but to follow process of elimination...

- have you tried the earphone output jack? Does that also have buzzing?
- do these speakers also buzz using other equipment?

Dimitah

Mar 15, 2020
Headphones work just fine and no buzzing whatsoever, just plugged a pair to test.

The speakers don't buzz otherwise. They have this little sort of 'ON' sound to them when are working. Even connected to a phone, they sound normal. It's the PC that interfere somehow by the looks of it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
There certainly seems to be something about the interconnectivity between the two. Either the actual connection point itself is problematic...or the actual interaction between the PC and the headphones (ie, the connection point is fine, but the 2 pieces just dont get along). Can you use the headphone output with powered speakers?

Dimitah

Mar 15, 2020
I am a bit confused now! We are talking about the issue I am having with my monitor speakers, right? I don't have any issues with the headphones I am using and they connect with the PC (motherboard) good and without any static / buzzing noises.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry...i was simply trying eliminate sources/issues. Some monitor speakers can use an RCA output jack, and I was suggesting if they do..then you try running them out of your headphone jack just to see if there is any buzz.

There are far better people on this forum than I to make suggestions...;)

Dimitah

Mar 15, 2020
There might be, no one is joining the discussion so far sadly.

Thank you for help regardless!

Tomorrow I am borrowing an external sound card that connects to the PC via USB, so we can see if it's the issue is in the motherboard`s soundcard.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting...keep posting...someone may step in who has real knowledge!

Reactions: Dimitah

Dimitah

Mar 15, 2020
No update unfortunately. As I am working from home and couldn't get the external device to test.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing