Another ground boxes' competitor ?

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Well if all three terminals are connected inside the box, then it actually does something.

The basic definition for 'ground' is:
A common reference point.

And while there are better, cheaper ways of doing this, this box could act as a common reference point.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Nordost’s patented Micro Mono-Filament technology, combined with extruded FEP insulation, and constructed with a 16 AWG, silver-plated OFC, solid core conductor. The QKORE Wire can be terminated with the following connectors: spade, banana, male-XLR, female-XLR, BNC and RCA (further termination options available).

Another product that is faulty in it's design and to implement correctly would cost a fortune. A 16 awg wire is like pissing in a ocean of noise. IMHO and my experiments.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Another product that is faulty in it's design and to implement correctly would cost a fortune. A 16 awg wire is like pissing in a ocean of noise. IMHO and my experiments.

Did you read the Nordost literature?

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Well flat copper braid or strap is much better than round 16AWG wire.
Connecting to incorrectly wired XLR or RCA chassis jacks (receptacles) is an invitation for noise and interference.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
competitors? here another one...

Interesting. They seem like they are a bit more expensive than say, the Entreq boxes. But it is good to see companies embracing this as it gives us more choice as consumers.

Just for information... also in Italy since 2016 we have another similar product.
here's a link to the manufacturer website.
https://www.faberpower.com/
Not cheap (the manufacturer told me about 5K Euros...) nevertheless sligtly cheaper than Entreq or Tripoint.
I don't have tried it already; probably I'll test it at the end of the year; my system will require other care and improvement first.
Neverthless I know very well this brand since I do have in my system their top level signal and AC power cables; they have an high reputation in Italy, especially the AC power cables.
my two cents
Marco

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Yup, as long as V=IR holds true reducing R in the context of grounding reduces V. It's pretty simple yet few seem to get it.

The 16g round wire is one of the worst possible choices for a ground wire. It would be far better if it were both lower gauge and made of a litz wire or braided strap.

I'd bet carbon and piezo minerals are in the box like the others.

These high priced grounding boxes are ridiculous, I need to make my own and sell them for reasonable prices like my cables. And they will have proper ground cables. ;)

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
In addition to Nordost and Entreq, there are two British manufacturers who have grounding units available.

Vertex AQ have their Pico range and CAD have launched their own grounding boxes.

http://www.computeraudiodesign.com/gc1-ground-control/

I am currently very interested in this field of system noise floor reduction, but find the Entreq boxes quite ugly and it is nice to finally see competitors arrive with more aesthetically pleasing options.

I am also trying out (on a sale or return basis) the Gutwire Perfect Ground cable which has a RCA plug (with only the earth connected) which is attached to a spare RCA input on a preamp and the other end is a 13amp UK mains plug (again with only the earth terminal connected).

Initial results, in the context of my system, are encouraging, with both a drop in noise floor and an enhancement of the soundstage and imagery.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
If you are truly interested in system noise floor reduction, the read 'Grounding and Shielding in Facilities' by Ralph Morrison.
Skip over the deep theory stuff and go to Chapter 7 'Facility Considerations'.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you are truly interested in system noise floor reduction, the read 'Grounding and Shielding in Facilities' by Ralph Morrison.

I have the book since long. IMHO unless you read at less chapter 6 I doubt that chapter 7 will be of any interest. How can anyone understand EM interference without knowing electromagnetism?

BTW, this is a book from the early 90's, in his more recent edition (2016) of "Grounding and Shielding: Circuits and Interference" Ralph Morrison explains what has changed meanwhile in the EM interference spectra and modern electronics and why he had to re-write his book.

Anyway, these are specialized technical books, IMHO useless for audiophiles who just want to have a better sounding system unless they want to design their own equipment or are looking for placebo type bias. :)

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK

I have become a disciple of the Vertex AQ approach to reducing noise (RFI, EMI and acoustic) in my own moderately high-end system.

You can read all about it here:-

http://vertexaq.com/about-the-systematic-approach/

By implementing the Vertex systematic approach and adding their components to my system, the performance of my hi fi has been maximised.

At the heart, lies the Alethiea PSU2, a balanced power supply, fed from the mains by a Hi-Rez Roraima high current cable. There are 4 X balanced outputs (total 300 watts) to power source components and 2 X unlimited current sockets for amplification. One of these, feeds power to my Conrad Johnson Premier 350SA power amp via a second Hi-Rez Roraima high current cable. I also have a number of Silver Plus Jaya shunt modules plugged into spare sockets in my listening room, creating what Vertex term a "quiet environment" for the system to operate in.

It's a great shame that Vertex AQ and their products are not more widely known in the US as they enjoy a very good reputation for sound quality, here in England. The performance of their products are successfully demonstrated at Hi Fi shows and reviews are always positive.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Well by the looks of this Nordost box...it certainly lends cred to Entreq that this type of signal grounding box does make a difference.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
What's sad is, an audiophile could DIY a real grounding system that follows good engineering practice and works, for a small fraction of the cost.

But making it pretty is up to the audiophile.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Well by the looks of this Nordost box...it certainly lends cred to Entreq that this type of signal grounding box does make a difference.

As long as V=IR holds true reducing R reduces V, grounding certainly does work to reduce R, that's it's main job. However, what's in the box and using 16g cables to reduce R might be another issue...

Reactions: asindc

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
At 50/60 Hz the wire's 'L' doesn't matter. But noise and interference are at much higher frequencies where the 'L' is more important than the 'R'. Moral of the story. don't use a round wire big or little (not much difference in the 'L' between big or little round wire) use a flat braided strap.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing