Anti skate question - I'm stuck!

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
I have a VPI Super Scoutmaster and a Lyra Dorian. The typical recommended anti skate on the VPI set up is an imprecise twist of the wire on the arm, from this you get some anti skate. When I put the need down onto a mirrored surface (just for set up), with the cartridge perfectly aligned, the needle arm isn't straight. I believe this is due to the anti-skate force pushing the arm away from the centre of the record. As with no record spinning there is no counter force.

Question! Does this sound ok, I have no idea if I have too much force applied? I have no micro adjusting anti-skate on the VPI. Will the needle align itself properly when the record is spinning, due to the force counteracting the anti-skate?

Cheers, Tim

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI
Tim,
Provided you have the cartridge aligned properly and VTF set to the correct weight, you want to listen for mistracking or distortion in the left or right channel. If the distortion is in the right channel you need to add more anti skate conversely if the left channel distorts you have too much anti skate force. You may notice more distortion as you get near the end of an album. Also make sure the table is level.

Good luck!
Scott

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Look at the stylus 'head on' while playing. If it is deflecting sideways you have a 'gross' antiskate issue. Even when it looks straight you may need to adjust by ear (as previously mentioned) to correct a 'fine' issue

Try with none as well and take note

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Hi Tim

during cartridge alignment the twisted cable should be disconnected and the connector should be placed behind the Tonearm‘s counterweight, otherwise the applied ant-skating will affect your alignment.

I had spent Many hours trying to set the anti-skating correctly by using the wire on 10.5“ 3D and later on 10.5 Fatboy, 12” fatboy unipivot and gimbal.
i have seen that by using the twisted wire only it’s almost impossible to achieve consistent results.
the antiskating device on the other hand can provide a much better way to apply adequate ant-skating force.
see below some hints:
-the fishing line must be vertical to the Tonearm.
-the fishing line should be level from the Tonearm to the device
-the fishing line loop should be secured at the lower possible position of the upper pole.
-with a 10.5” unipivot four orings are needed To the lower pole
- with 12“ unipivot three orings are need to the lower pole
- at the beginning of the record the lower pole should be about at 18:30 position (slight force)
- at the end of the record the lower pole should point about 20:30 (maximum force)

- check the cantilever deflection at various positions with a record playing and notice the reflection image, see below photos of my ETNA. The first photo show inadequate antiskating, the second photo adequate.
make corrections by adding or removing orings.

p.s in theory Skating force is not the same for all vinyls. Grooves modulation, thickness etc are factors to affect this force.
379CB3D2-AEFE-460B-A7DD-2610BBE23256.jpeg 45FF211C-D173-47CE-83FE-67663F43F179.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing