Antipodes CX+EX

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Here is what Mark put on his webpage regarding the S20 reclocker "Unfortunately, USB Audio has been negatively impacted by revisions of the USB standard, and the noise introduced by using Ethernet is just as troubling. The Antipodes S20 is the answer to this problem, isolating the USB input electronically from the reclocker circuit and then providing precision re-clocked outputs, powered by Antipodes HSL power supplies."

But of course, as you pointed out, for DSD there really is not choice but to use USB.

I did order a K10. What you said about installing two SSD's and using one of them as a back up is exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully someone here has experience with this but if not I will enquire with Antipodes once I get it installed.
Regarding the S20 comments on the website - I did see this earlier, but interpretted as “if you have the gall to use a cheap ass dac with unimproved usb3.0 input or galvanically coupled noisy Ethernet with my state of the art server, I will gladly sell you a $2500 bandaid which allows you to use the spdif input which even on inferior products doesn’t suck too bad”. But I might have misconstrued the intent.

Most SGM Extreme users utilize the USB output. Sheep on the bandwagon?

td19

Sep 29, 2017
I did order a K10. What you said about installing two SSD's and using one of them as a back up is exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully someone here has experience with this but if not I will enquire with Antipodes once I get it installed.

The SSDs in an Antipodes server (CX, EX, K50 etc.) are configured as a single logical drive. So for example if a 2Tb SSD is inserted into the second slot, next to an already in-use 1Tb SSD, and is 'added' using the software function the result is a 3Tb logical drive. That logical drive cannot then have either SSD removed; the library on the logical drive must first be backed up, and then restored to whatever new disk configuration is implemented.

It is not possible to access the two SSDs separately for backup or other purposes.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Does anyone know or anyone heard from Antipodes why the USB out in both the K-50 and S-20 reclocker isn’t re-clocked... for those with USB in only setups (like those mscaler dudes :rolleyes:) then having the reclocker outs only in other formats seems unhelpful... or am I not understanding (not for the first time lol).

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
Truckia, I notice you use tube amps/preamp. Since you have the Lampi Pacific I am wondering if you have auditioned the Lampi amps. I find the 211 Pacific balanced interesting. But it seems nobody really talks about the Lampi amps.

I have been running the pacific 211 monos for a couple years and the regular version prior to that.
I had the chance to go to the pac version due to a shipping mishap. There was a couple month gap between the amps, however I felt the pac version was quieter and more detailed than the regular 211 version.

I really love the lampi amps. Dont know why they dont get as much press as the dacs.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Does anyone know or anyone heard from Antipodes why the USB out in both the K-50 and S-20 reclocker isn’t re-clocked... for those with USB in only setups (like those mscaler dudes :rolleyes:) then having the reclocker outs only in other formats seems unhelpful... or am I not understanding (not for the first time lol).
The website addresses this in their FAQ section - stating “usb can be derived directly from the player engine, and you get superior sound by doing the job once and doing it properly in the player engine.” Makes sense I guess but others report different results in practice.

We, or at least I, spend a lot of time seeking the absolute truth, but it doesn’t exist. Instead we find conditional truth, relative truth, etc. Even if we purchased all of this equipment and did a shoot out, the findings would only apply to that particular pile of equipment. If we travelled the world listening to other‘s systems the same applies. I sought truth by obtaining an engineering degree (aka the prostitution of science). This provides a means I suppose, but you need to work for the answers, if you can find them even then. Being a diligent consumer only gets you so far. You need to enjoy the process.

Reactions: richard_crl032

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
The SSDs in an Antipodes server (CX, EX, K50 etc.) are configured as a single logical drive. So for example if a 2Tb SSD is inserted into the second slot, next to an already in-use 1Tb SSD, and is 'added' using the software function the result is a 3Tb logical drive. That logical drive cannot then have either SSD removed; the library on the logical drive must first be backed up, and then restored to whatever new disk configuration is implemented.

It is not possible to access the two SSDs separately for backup or other purposes.

Well that kinda stinks. It would be nice if they would give someone an easy way to make a backup drive.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Well that kinda stinks. It would be nice if they would give someone an easy way to make a backup drive.
Maybe it’s possible to plug a backup drive into the usb on the back?

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Check out the AMSv3 users guide on the Antipodes website. At the end there is a section on file management. Looks like backup is possible to “Included” external drives seen on your network. This would include usb drives connected to the back of the unit or a NAS. However, the AMS tool enables the ability to delete files from these drives, which scares me. Be careful.

I‘m not aware of this option with my CX+EX, maybe because I don’t need it. But the K50 will have this ability per the manual.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Thanks Tuckia. Manuals are useful things. :) I think I will download and read it while I wait on my unit to arrive. Plus I need to order an SSD. I am thinking a 4TB Samsung. Any thoughts on this?

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Thanks Tuckia. Manuals are useful things. :) I think I will download and read it while I wait on my unit to arrive. Plus I need to order an SSD. I am thinking a 4TB Samsung. Any thoughts on this?
I think the Samsung EVO 860 4TB 2.5” is still the one to get. You can rip red book and SACD for years till you would fill it up. It’s not the fastest drive but that’s not important for audio.

td19

Sep 29, 2017

It is, and the Storage Backup app included in Antipodes 2 software, writes to it. This app is not included in Antipodes 3 software, where the File Manager function enables users to copy to external drives, as noted above.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The website addresses this in their FAQ section - stating “usb can be derived directly from the player engine, and you get superior sound by doing the job once and doing it properly in the player engine.” Makes sense I guess but others report different results in practice.

We, or at least I, spend a lot of time seeking the absolute truth, but it doesn’t exist. Instead we find conditional truth, relative truth, etc. Even if we purchased all of this equipment and did a shoot out, the findings would only apply to that particular pile of equipment. If we travelled the world listening to other‘s systems the same applies. I sought truth by obtaining an engineering degree (aka the prostitution of science). This provides a means I suppose, but you need to work for the answers, if you can find them even then. Being a diligent consumer only gets you so far. You need to enjoy the process.

Deciding on the rightness of things is definitely easier in living with them for a bit or having some reasonable body of experience. So for me the outcome of reclocking is still something of an abstract but there’s enough developing interest to make me want to get a better understanding and I may likely explore it as an option in my system at some point. I would have tried the S-20 (as it is not crazy money) if it allowed me to explore reclocking USB just before handing over to the mscaler’s USB in... and I may try the Phoenix yet.

Theres that range of ways forward at the moment with the impending release and upgrades at Antipodes and for me also includes perhaps not changing the server at all and staying focussed with diy horn projects ... it’s also as much about process and enjoying discovery as system improvements so a build has certain attraction over buying a new bit of gear. Am happy to wait and see how this unfolds with the new Antipodes servers arriving though even if it’s just to enjoy other people’s journeys for the next while.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Hi Romney,
I just use the Roon app on my iPhone mostly but haven’t found that I’ve had it disconnect or needing to reboot unusually.
Thanks
I talked to Tony from antipodes. It was silly. Apparently I manually added folder from storage on CX to Roon "music discovery" section. Roon does not like this. I deleted this and kept the default "music" folder and this is solved. CX is otherwise excellent as "Roon Server"

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Deciding on the rightness of things is definitely easier in living with them for a bit or having some reasonable body of experience. So for me the outcome of reclocking is still something of an abstract but there’s enough developing interest to make me want to get a better understanding and I may likely explore it as an option in my system at some point. I would have tried the S-20 (as it is not crazy money) if it allowed me to explore reclocking USB just before handing over to the mscaler’s USB in... and I may try the Phoenix yet.

Theres that range of ways forward at the moment with the impending release and upgrades at Antipodes and for me also includes perhaps not changing the server at all and staying focussed with diy horn projects ... it’s also as much about process and enjoying discovery as system improvements so a build has certain attraction over buying a new bit of gear. Am happy to wait and see how this unfolds with the new Antipodes servers arriving though even if it’s just to enjoy other people’s journeys for the next while.
Tao, I’ve been lead to believe that the Phoenix elevates the performance of the CX+EX past the Innuos Statement. This is from a dealer who handles both lines. For my system I believe the effect would be beneficial as it is not sterile or dry as is. Maybe these aren’t attributes of the Phoenix anyway, but some reports I’ve seen on other reclockers claim to have this affect. My main issue is implementation cost when looking at the possible options. Obviously the dac and its USB clocks are major contributors in this equation too. Chord products are different animals from my experience. Each of us will get a different result.

Trying to make sense from marketing babble is relatively meaningless for what we are trying to accomplish/understand. Just trying to fill the vacuum until more reports come in.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I have a sense of where I’d like to take my front end. Currently it’s balance is mostly where I like it, with more than enough resolution, perhaps just ever so slightly a shade more heft down low would be ideal, but it’s only a matter of degrees. I love the coherency and the immediacy of where the sound is now. The energy and engagement of my setup is a strength so I wouldn’t want that to diminish at all... so just a little bit more of the same from what I have.

Over the new year break I’m putting in dedicated circuits and getting some other compression drivers and new horns and also more 15 inch woofers in for a OB subs project so any further changes on the front end such as a phoenix or upgrade to K-50 would likely come some time comfortably after that.

Reactions: sbnx and Tuckia

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
According to the Antipodes site it should be possible to install V3 software on EX or CX. Do we need to write to Tony in order to do it? Also, I was not able to install version 2.8 on either EX or CX. It says version 2.8 is the latest, I click update, it goes through the process and nothing happens - I still have 2.7. Please, share what software version do you currently use. Thanks!

Last edited:

geraldc

Sep 21, 2020
I had also done the upgrade over the weekend to version 2.8, but it still shows 2.7 too. The biggest problem for me was that after the upgrade, none of my Roon remotes would log on to the Roon server. I re-did the upgrade several times with multiple complete system resets and still could not get it to work. Finally, I realized that I had to restart both Roon Ready and Roon Server on the Antipodes front page. My system was down over the entire weekend and I thought that I had bricked the CX. All good now. Sounds fine. Was even entertaining EXTREME thoughts;).

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I had also done the upgrade over the weekend to version 2.8, but it still shows 2.7 too. The biggest problem for me was that after the upgrade, none of my Roon remotes would log on to the Roon server. I re-did the upgrade several times with multiple complete system resets and still could not get it to work. Finally, I realized that I had to restart both Roon Ready and Roon Server on the Antipodes front page. My system was down over the entire weekend and I thought that I had bricked the CX. All good now. Sounds fine. Was even entertaining EXTREME thoughts;).
Good to hear you are operational again. After all that, does either unit indicate that it is now on SW 2.8? I’ve run the update multiple times and it still indicates the version is still SW 2.7 on each unit even though the updates appear to run through normally. I haven’t had your connectivity issue though. I use hqplayer, not Roon Ready.

I, and possibly several others here, would encourage you to follow through on your Extreme thoughts:p. There appears to be a shortage of dual CX+EX and Extreme owners out there who are willing to do a direct compare.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
The Version 2.8 note is in error. For now Version 2.7 is the latest version and continues to receive updates.
td19, thank you for the answer. Is it possible to install version 3.0 on EX / CX?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing