Antipodes CX+EX

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've heard the Extreme. If Extreme Mini at €15-18k comes to reality, Antipodes may really struggle at this level.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Lol...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
After my experience with Extreme yesterday, I can't see any server able to keep up. There is already strong resistance to pricey servers from plenty of audiophiles. And expensive server is the hardest sell in hifi, and whatever your checklist, Extreme ticks your boxes. If Extreme Mini maintains a lot of it's bigger brother's DNA, I can see all the oxygen being sucked out of the room in the £15k+ market.

Last edited:
Reactions: onsionsi

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I've heard the Extreme. If Extreme Mini at €15-18k comes to reality, Antipodes may really struggle at this level.

I do not think that the Extreme Mini will be so expensive. This would not make sense in comparison to the price of the Extreme.

Matt

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
After my experience with Extreme yesterday, I can't see any server able to keep up. There is already strong resistance to pricey servers from plenty of audiophiles. And expensive server is the hardest sell in hifi, and whatever your checklist, Extreme ticks your boxes. If Extreme Mini maintains a lot of it's bigger brother's DNA, I can see all the oxygen being sucked out of the air in the £15k+ market.
Such strong rhetoric catches my attention, well, because I hope it is true! The thought that so much is left on the table yet is what keeps us going.

If the SGM Less-Extreme is in that price range, it is still a bit higher than what the new Antipodes will likely sell for.

To keep it relative, do you have a direct or indirect compare of SGM to Antipodes to offer? Possibly direct us to a forum which does? My data points are few and I haven’t the time to read all 230 pages of the SGM Extreme forum. Thanks.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I don't, sorry. But I have an Extreme to SGM2015 perspective, and other than uber honesty being an issue with some masterings needing a little more sugar in the presentation, the Extreme is a total game changer.

I believe Emile stated the Extreme Mini will not retail for much less than 2/3 of Extreme RRP. It will maintain the same complex engineered casework which makes up a significant part of the cost. It won't be a dumbed down design, will be Extreme minus some components.

Anyhow, this is OT for an Antipodes thread, and my knowledge, intimate or otherwise of servers, the Extreme etc, is purely limited to listening impressions.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I believe Emile stated the Extreme Mini will not retail for much less than 2/3 of Extreme RRP. It will maintain the same complex engineered casework which makes up a significant part of the cost. It won't be a dumbed down design, will be Extreme minus some components.

AFAIK, according to Emile the Mini will not be using the case of the Extreme but will be a different design and retail for say 50 to 60% of the Extreme.
Please have a look at the posts of this page:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-163

Matt

Last edited:

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
AFAIK, according to Emile the Mini will not be using the case of the Extreme but will be a different design and retail for say 50 to 60% of the Extreme.

Matt
Maybe a third model? The name mini does conjure the image of something physically smaller.

I find this conversation relevant as servers in this price range are likely my next pursuit. I like the CX+EX well enough to keep Antipodes offerings on my list. Getting comparisons once released will, as usual, be the challenge.

Audioking87

Dec 13, 2019
I sold my EX and P2 for almost the same price as I paid for them new a few months ago because I knew that this was going to happen. They know audiophiles are gonna keep drinking the kool-aid so they'll keep pushing it and once these units get moving already technology will be one step ahead again, its a vicious cycle. I took a break from HiFi, my wallet had enough of being rinsed.

Reactions: Darmstadtium

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
Wow. I just ordered a CX that I am awaiting delivery of. From a price standpoint, it appears that the K series is slotted above the CX/EX while the S series is slotted below them. I probably would not have ordered a K or S even if they were available at the time, given the information available at the present. Still, I wonder if my dealer was aware.

Audioking87

Dec 13, 2019
Wow. I just ordered a CX that I am awaiting delivery of. From a price standpoint, it appears that the K series is slotted above the CX/EX while the S series is slotted below them. I probably would not have ordered a K or S even if they were available at the time, given the information available at the present. Still, I wonder if my dealer was aware.

What are you using the CX with?

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Maybe a third model? The name mini does conjure the image of something physically smaller.
I find this conversation relevant as servers in this price range are likely my next pursuit. I like the CX+EX well enough to keep Antipodes offerings on my list. Getting comparisons once released will, as usual, be the challenge.

No, not a third model.
As you said the Mini will be physically smaller and will have other CPUs than the Extreme.

Matt

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I sold my EX and P2 for almost the same price as I paid for them new a few months ago because I knew that this was going to happen. They know audiophiles are gonna keep drinking the kool-aid so they'll keep pushing it and once these units get moving already technology will be one step ahead again, its a vicious cycle. I took a break from HiFi, my wallet had enough of being rinsed.
To be philosophical about it, the EX is a good unit and will sound exactly the same 10 years from now. Tubes and cartridges will be in the dumpster. Chasing digital upgrades is only as expensive as you make it.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Wow. I just ordered a CX that I am awaiting delivery of.

I can imagine that the new models are cheaper and superior to the CX. Maybe you can cancel your order?

Matt

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

My suggestion for a name would be "Extreme's Kick Ass Little Brother" lol.

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
I can imagine that the new models are cheaper and superior to the CX. Maybe you can cancel your order?

Matt

We shall see. The K series are all clearly more expensive, while all of the S series would probably require a linear power supply to reach their potential. Adding a top flight LPS to the S40 still makes it less expensive than the CX, but it would close the gap considerably. If that LPS is the S60, then the S40 is more expensive than the CX or EX. Antipodes might have priced these two new series to deliberately not compete price-wise with the CX/EX, with performance being consistent with price. Of course, the proof will be in the listening.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

You’ve heard Extreme once Marc, Antipodes never (I’m thinking) and Extreme mini (which doesn’t even exist nor been priced) but somehow you’ve determined the value on all these now even based on a new Antipodes model also that no one has yet heard. Perhaps we should indeed start that thread ‘opinions on gear we’ve never heard‘... :eek: lol

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's true. But knowing SGM2015 intimately, getting an immediate reaction to Extreme, enables me to extrapolate reasonably what Extreme Mini might provide. I genuinely contend that the market may well be sewn up by Emile in the price band above £15k.

But hey, this is coming from a guy with serious splinters in his arse from sitting on the fence on streaming Lol.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing