Antipodes CX+EX

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I can imagine that the new models are cheaper and superior to the CX. Maybe you can cancel your order?

Matt
We won’t know how good they are or not till someone’s heard them I spose. One would hope the new K is even better than a cx+ex combo... on the cheaper S I spose one could imagine it’s not.

Maybe the strategy is that it’s also a way to move up the pricing strata of Antipodes now that Extreme has established the new levels that it’s now OK to put on a server... who knows how they’ll sound let alone compare till they’re out?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I sold my EX and P2 for almost the same price as I paid for them new a few months ago because I knew that this was going to happen. They know audiophiles are gonna keep drinking the kool-aid so they'll keep pushing it and once these units get moving already technology will be one step ahead again, its a vicious cycle. I took a break from HiFi, my wallet had enough of being rinsed.
It was also possible to just stick with your choice, enjoy, and ignore the background noise. I've always wondered why the digital fraternity need to upgrade all the time. If your choice was good when you signed the cheque, surely it's good now...especially because it's also a recent purchase.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You’ve heard Extreme once Marc, Antipodes never (I’m thinking) and Extreme mini (which doesn’t even exist nor been priced) but somehow you’ve determined the value on all these now even based on a new Antipodes model also that no one has yet heard. Perhaps we should indeed start that thread ‘opinions on gear we’ve never heard‘... :eek: lol

You can just name it evaluations by Marc

td19

Sep 29, 2017
Included in the product announcement FAQ:

"How future-proof are Antipodes products?
Music Servers use computer technology, so advances can be rapid. We could freeze our product technology in time, or we could continue to lead in music server technology development and do our utmost to keep our customers up to date. We take the latter approach. Nearly every Antipodes Music Server sold since we launched in 2011 is built to a template that enables us to offer upgrades to our customers. This means that when we introduce a new generation of technology, we follow this up quickly with an opportunity to have the new technology installed in your existing unit. This is not possible for every model, but it is possible for the vast majority of cases. The upgrade charge is heavily discounted for recent purchasers."

swatello

Apr 17, 2020
Hello Guys!
As i said before
I am very happy with CX - EX - P2 reclocker combo,
My lan cable RAL, USB to P2 platform RAL two wires with separate power and signal and aes/ebu Black Cat Tron.
Within a few next weeks i am going to get new Antipodes K50 with new OLADRA power supply to test.
I hope on K50 i am able to use only aes/ebu so it should be much better compare to combo.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hello Guys!
As i said before
I am very happy with CX - EX - P2 reclocker combo,
My lan cable RAL, USB to P2 platform RAL two wires with separate power and signal and aes/ebu Black Cat Tron.
Within a few next weeks i am going to get new Antipodes K50 with new OLADRA power supply to test.
I hope on K50 i am able to use only aes/ebu so it should be much better compare to combo.

Let us know what you think about this new K50 when it is broken in.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Christiaan Punter from HiFi Advice has a K50 in for review right now. Maybe he will post something in about a month. So far he has let on that it is “certainly“ better than the CX+EX combo.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

swatello

Apr 17, 2020
Christiaan Punter from HiFi Advice has a K50 in for review right now. Maybe he will post something in about a month. So far he has let on that it is “certainly“ better than the CX+EX combo.

Yeah, i know that. We have had conversation with Chris. So the review will be very soon. This is really interesting device.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I have a K50 inbound. Looking forward to jumping forward 8 years in computer based audio technology from my old Aurender S10.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I have a K50 inbound. Looking forward to jumping forward 8 years in computer based audio technology from my old Aurender S10.
Congrats. We look to you and @swatello for feedback. Which outputs do you plan on trying?

My path was Aurender N100h, N10, then CX+EX. My Aurender dealer said the N100>S10. So you should see a substantial jump to the K50.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I was using USB on my Aurender. But I will try USB, SPDIF and AES/EBU on the Antipodes. I guess it depends on who has the better clock -- K50 or Pacific?

Bogan88

Aug 11, 2020
Apparently K50 is 'significantly' better than CX+EX combo. Looking forward to some proper comparisons.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Apparently K50 is 'significantly' better than CX+EX combo. Looking forward to some proper comparisons.
It is reported to be “certainly” better. No known reports reaching the “significant“ level as of yet.
The difference is certainly significant.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and have just ordered Antipodes CX/EX combo to be arriving soon. I am also planning to get optical fiber network soon. I have very basic simple question, setting up Roon with CX/EX. Will you set up CX first as Roon core and then EX as Roon endpoint ? or you set both core and end point as CX ?. Inputs appreciated and any other tips will be welcomed.

Parsons

Mar 31, 2018
Ohio
I set up the CX as the core given it's a tiny bit beefier processor, and the EX as the Roon endpoint as I think it's perhaps designed to be lower-powered and a little quieter for that endpoint purpose, and I "think" that's how Antipodes recommends it. But of course you could do it the other way and see fairly easily (with a little Roon license swapping from one box to the other, which wasn't that hard for the initial move from my old server to the CX).

td19

Sep 29, 2017
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and have just ordered Antipodes CX/EX combo to be arriving soon. I am also planning to get optical fiber network soon. I have very basic simple question, setting up Roon with CX/EX. Will you set up CX first as Roon core and then EX as Roon endpoint ? or you set both core and end point as CX ?. Inputs appreciated and any other tips will be welcomed.
CX for Roon Server (Core), EX for Roon Ready. CX is quite a lot 'beefier'.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Thank you all. By the way, this will not decode MQA right ?. Also, if you are doing fiber optics, how are you guys doing fiber optic connection ? Is fiber optic better than network switch ?. Want to get your opinions and thoughts, if you have tried either or both.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
It is reported to be “certainly” better. No known reports reaching the “significant“ level as of yet.
The difference is certainly significant.
Though Tuck as 2020 became the dawning of the great age of complete uncertainty this completely is not certainly insignificant with any real certain-ness :eek:

I’m also very much looking forward to hearing upcoming comparisons on K50 over CX+ EX. With regards to addition of clocks as overall as a strategy are there emerging themes. The more common comments on subjective comparisons on gear where there have been clock upgrades the trend in responses seem to be mostly gains in greater resolution but then also sometimes reports of moving to shades of more analytical does also seem to relate (anecdotally) to the movement with clock additions/upgrades.

I’m only reading comments and haven’t done any direct compares myself so I am also interested in the characteristic nature or specific gains with the new Antipodes TOTL model... to see if resolution is the main gain in terms of significant or even just certain sonic better-ness.

Last edited:

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Though Tuck as 2020 became the dawning of the great age of complete uncertainty this completely is not certainly insignificant with any real certain-ness :eek:

I’m also very much looking forward to hearing upcoming comparisons on K50 over CX+ EX. With regards to addition of clocks as overall as a strategy are there emerging themes. The more common comments on subjective comparisons on gear where there have been clock upgrades the trend in responses seem to be mostly gains in greater resolution but then also sometimes reports of moving to shades of more analytical does also seem to relate (anecdotally) to the movement with clock additions/upgrades.

I’m only reading comments and haven’t done any direct compares myself so I am also interested in the characteristic nature or specific gains with the new Antipodes TOTL model... to see if resolution is the main gain in terms of significant or even just certain sonic better-ness.
Tao, thank you for your complimentary word smith-i-ness. You are the master of this:)
Keep in mind the K50 reclocker is only there to generate the other outputs - spdif, i2s, aes/ebu - not to enhance the USB performance. A USB reclocker can be added downstream, such as the Innuos Phoenix, Ideon 3R variants, or others. As I understand it, the K50 is better than the CX+EX on a level playing field (no USB reclocker enhancement). No need to fear the sound of the reclocker, Tao.

My conundrum is choosing a path, as there are more than a few options.

1. Keep the CX+EX as is. Do nothing. I have repeatedly shown the inability to do this.
  2. K30 - I don’t upsample
  3. K50 - hell yeah. But this may take time.
  4. Upgrade the CX & EX when the option is announced this fall.
  5. Get a USB reclocker.
  6. Upgrade and reclocker.
  7. Beg my wife for an SGM Extreme. It’s only one year of tuition for the kids. Come on!
  8. Wait for the Extreme mini.

Hopefully our friends here will report on their K50 findings and shorten my list. It certainly would be helpful ;)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Tao, thank you for your complimentary word smith-i-ness. You are the master of this:)
Keep in mind the K50 reclocker is only there to generate the other outputs - spdif, i2s, aes/ebu - not to enhance the USB performance. A USB reclocker can be added downstream, such as the Innuos Phoenix, Ideon 3R variants, or others. As I understand it, the K50 is better than the CX+EX on a level playing field (no USB reclocker enhancement). No need to fear the sound of the reclocker, Tao.

My conundrum is choosing a path, as there are more than a few options.

1. Keep the CX+EX as is. Do nothing. I have repeatedly shown the inability to do this.
  2. K30 - I don’t upsample
  3. K50 - hell yeah. But this may take time.
  4. Upgrade the CX & EX when the option is announced this fall.
  5. Get a USB reclocker.
  6. Upgrade and reclocker.
  7. Beg my wife for an SGM Extreme. It’s only one year of tuition for the kids. Come on!
  8. Wait for the Extreme mini.

Hopefully our friends here will report on their K50 findings and shorten my list. It certainly would be helpful ;)

Many thanks also Tuck, as an old school perennial learner my wordsmiffery often needs the exercise.

Your list of options is opening up the horizons. I’m angling towards option 1 as the easy path for myself... I certainly hope the K50 isn’t too much better... is this selfish :eek:...

option 4 though does look kinda tasty as a sensible middle path move... especially as it takes like forever to burn an Antipodes in.

option 7 is a most excellent move... you could always simply suggest that the kids don’t need as much edukashun ever since stacking shelves at supermarkets became so much more essential.

I do believe option 8 the mini might have sailed already :oops:... sure I read something along those lines a while back unfortunately.

So upgrade the cx+ex... sounds like a good plan if the feedback comes back positive.

Reactions: Tuckia

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing