Antipodes CX+EX

Celts88

Feb 15, 2018
Perth, Australia
Anyone heard anything about how the K40 is?

I've got a CX and looking at upgrading to a K40. I've a Devialet 1000Pro and connect my CX via ethernet hence why I'm looking at a K40, but can't find ANY reviews (either professional or consumer) on the K40.

sale

Dec 15, 2014
Toronto
Anyone heard anything about how the K40 is?

I've got a CX and looking at upgrading to a K40. I've a Devialet 1000Pro and connect my CX via ethernet hence why I'm looking at a K40, but can't find ANY reviews (either professional or consumer) on the K40.
Do you have information about the cost of CX/K40 upgrade?

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
Hi guys I sold my CX, EX combo and shipped it on its original packaging through FedEx. The buyer received it in perfect condition. He says he is able to power on and use the EX, but the CX would not boot up. The orange light doesn’t change to green. Any thoughts on what could be the issue? It was perfectly working fine before.

DeMarko

Mar 27, 2020
Hi guys I sold my CX, EX combo and shipped it on its original packaging through FedEx. The buyer received it in perfect condition. He says he is able to power on and use the EX, but the CX would not boot up. The orange light doesn’t change to green. Any thoughts on what could be the issue? It was perfectly working fine before.
I would ask him to make photos of the CX and EX back panels to check whether all connections are done correctly. Incoming ethernet cable is connected to CX's Network 1. The short ethernet cable from CX to EX is from CX's Network 2 to EX's Network 1. Then booting up is done by switching on the CX first (switch on the back panel first to oower it up then the round button at the front to boot it up), waiting for a minute, and then switching on the EX. Reading and following the manual always helped me. It's at www.antipodes audio Support / V2 Guide

You can also help him via Teamviewer or its equivalent or ask Antipodes to do it.

Last edited:

DeMarko

Mar 27, 2020
Thanks. No luck on that side. The orange light isn't even turning green or blinking or anything.
Antipodes has excellent support. I would just email them then :) support @ antipodes.audio

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I had a powering up issue and that required a trip back to Antipodes. But I wasn’t even getting the orange light. It wasn’t the fuses or power cords as I swapped those all out.

But since I have got it back I’ve found that the on/off button can now be a bit finicky. Coincidentally this is on my CX as well and not the EX.

Perhaps ask the new owner to see if the power button is working properly and if rather than pushing it in the centre of the button he pushes it at an edge... maybe the contact on the switch could be an issue. Hope that may help as losing one of them for service is not so much fun. But I am still very much loving my CX EX combo.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyb123

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
I received a newsletter from Antipodes. The new Oladra upgrade programme is out.
1950USD, fair price or not? Considering a new S30 is very appealing and maybe better than a CX ( according a user on Audiogon)

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I received a newsletter from Antipodes. The new Oladra upgrade programme is out.
1950USD, fair price or not? Considering a new S30 is very appealing and maybe better than a CX ( according a user on Audiogon)
I’m pretty sure you’d need to add an S60 to the S30 to make it competitive with the upgraded CX. Even still I‘d imagine that the upgraded CX is better. Good question though for Antipodes.

I must say that I’m impressed that Antipodes would offer such an upgrade.

As far as the price, given that it’s an entirely new power supply I would say yes it is a fair price.

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
I’m pretty sure you’d need to add an S60 to the S30 to make it competitive with the upgraded CX. Even still I‘d imagine that the upgraded CX is better. Good question though for Antipodes.

I must say that I’m impressed that Antipodes would offer such an upgrade.

As far as the price, given that it’s an entirely new power supply I would say yes it is a fair price.
Yes my thinking was if its not better to sell the CX and buy a S30+ LPSU of some kind. I have a S40 that replaced an EX. The S40 with SMPS outclassed the EX properly right away. Thats how good the new generation is contra the old.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Yes my thinking was if its not better to sell the CX and buy a S30+ LPSU of some kind. I have a S40 that replaced an EX. The S40 with SMPS outclassed the EX properly right away. Thats how good the new generation is contra the old.
Wow, impressive. Certainly explains why the CX/EX series didn‘t last that long. Rethinking things from the ground up can do that.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
What size fuse does the CX take? Thanks,

DeMarko

Mar 27, 2020
What size fuse does the CX take? Thanks,
Size 5x20
Fast (not slow), 1.6 A if I remember correctly. I used that value.
There are 2 fuses in the tray, 2 fuses are needed.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Interesting, because a CX owner who sold me two fuses he took out of his says it actakes 6.3A small, slow blow. I was checking because they blew in a 5A spec ATC speaker and it’s not a typical value for audio equipment, at least in my experience.

Last edited:

DeMarko

Mar 27, 2020
Ooops! Sorry! 1.6A is for 230 volts. Please disregard the value if used in 115V, in this case the value should be higher, double?
It definitely needs FAST blow, I checked numerous times with Antipodes Audio.
ATC speakers = amplifier application, this is slow blow. SR fuses were reported to not last in such applications.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Yes, 115 volts. I've messaged Antipodes, but they're probably closed for the weekend or at least now, being in New Zealand. These are not SR's but I'm familiar with the SR startup current problem, which requires going up at least a value to be safe for a lot of equipment (even Mr. SR suggests that privately). But it's puzzling that the seller, who has a good feedback, would claim 6.3A slow-blow, which is what the boxes show, if it's really something else entirely.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Manual says 1A (but is that at 250V?). Matt of Antipodes answered that they are using a 2.5A fuse (115V).

DeMarko

Mar 27, 2020
Manual says 1A (but is that at 250V?). Matt of Antipodes answered that they are using a 2.5A fuse (115V).
Yes, 1A 250V, fast blow. And this is what I had as stock fuses in my 230V unit. I checked with Antipodes some time ago and used 1.6A 250V fast fuses ever since.
115V units would use higher values, 2.5A fast blow looks logical to me but I would check this with Antipodes.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
From Matt: 'the fuses we use are - 0001.2508 Shurter Fuses" and "they are 2.5 amp, time delay fuse and 20mm long" https://nz.element14.com/schurter/0001-2508/fuse-antisurge-ceramic-2-5a/dp/1360854

I had let him know it was for 115V units. Time delay is slow-blow. https://www.slimlab.net/mirror/fusecolours/fusecolours.htm

Turned out seller of 6.3A fuses discovered they weren't, just that the boxes had been mislabeled. He had sold the CX with its stock fuses and assumed, forgetting about the different values. He now laments that he could have sold 1A (or 2.5?) much faster and for more.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing