Any cyclists here?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Exactly my thoughts on bringing the Trek which might have a bit of cred since they didn't export much until the Lance era.

I'd seriously consider a modern geo all roads bike from the US since you don't seem keen on brevet. Euro stuff tends towards either being less technically focused lower end UK house brand offerings or full carbon £18K Pinarello gravel race bikes. Nearly everything stateside except the corporate brands offerings are going to be a fully mature design since we have so much more gravel and open space than anywhere over there.

Reactions: wbass

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Nice Dave. I am not a talented mountain biker at all. I am just not built for it - much more naturally designed for very short burst strength sports unfortunately. That said I really love mountain biking and the cardio does me serious good. Also I find it massively clears my brain out.

Enjoy.
This isn't a liability! As you get older, your muscle groups get better at endurance and not so good for sprints. Simply by riding though you can change how your muscle groups work.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
My 2 bikes( incl the TREK)

The B one is a 11 year old bike , it was a dutch brand ( no longer exists )
I fully restored it last year new cranck shaft bearings / Chain / rear derailleur and new Campagnolo WTO 60 s .
6,9 kg Sram red

1641838005302.jpeg

Attachments

• 1641837260636.jpeg
    1641837260636.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 1641837347782.jpeg
    1641837347782.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reactions: Tim Link

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
I'm wondering how much solitude you can get in spots like these, or if they're pretty heavily enjoyed. Wouldn't turn me off, except for MTB. Just curious.
Good luck with the move

Lots of of good riding within easy reach of London. Plenty ride out or throw their bike on a train, 30-40 mins from central London by train and you can be into the country. Surrey Hills are a mecca for MTB, trails cut all over the place, one can quickly loose oneself, the maps are good so not to difficult to familiarise. Local knowledge required for the good stuff!

Short and steep is the order of the day for climbing. The popular routes are fairly busy with traffic and other riders.

Head a bit further toward Paul and it's not so busy

West and the Chilterns where I am deliver quiet country roads through rolling hills easily accessed from the end of the Met tube or train. The offroad network isn't as good as Surrey but it's there and there's a great road community with cycling oriented cafes dotted throughout.

You'll not be short of options should you wish to explore.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
This isn't a liability! As you get older, your muscle groups get better at endurance and not so good for sprints. Simply by riding though you can change how your muscle groups work.

Yep well I try my best and enjoy the sport so that is good enough for me. No expectations of racing etc like my good friend. It doesn’t bother me one iota - it is about partaking, being there and enjoying. We all have our natural abilities and endurance sports don’t naturally suit me as much - is what it is. I am actually quite happy with my genetic disposition being well suited to other sports. Endormorphic with a little mesomorphic.

Reactions: Atmasphere

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Yep well I try my best and enjoy the sport so that is good enough for me. No expectations of racing etc like my good friend. It doesn’t bother me one iota - it is about partaking, being there and enjoying. We all have our natural abilities and endurance sports don’t naturally suit me as much - is what it is. I am actually quite happy with my genetic disposition being well suited to other sports. Endormorphic with a little mesomorphic.

That's why I only race enduro, the ups aren't timed, only the downs! Of course you have to get up the hill and still have energy for the dh. I have done enduro races that involved 1500+ m of climbing 4 days in a row at high altitude, but then others are done primarily on a chairlift, so there's some variety.

Unless you're a pro or want to be one racing isn't all about being fast, for me it's more about the social aspect, riding and training with like-minded people and one of the best things is having that date on your calendar! It keeps you accountable and motivated to get or stay in shape. Local enduro races are more of a party atmosphere, not too serious... most participants are also big beer enthusiasts as well. :D

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
The main thing is to get out there. Apparently two 20 minute rides on a bike in a week and your chances of heart disease get cut in half.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
The main thing is to get out there. Apparently two 20 minute rides on a bike in a week and your chances of heart disease get cut in half.

Yeah I got one of these entry level Garmin forerunner 55 watches for Xmas from my wife.

I average 3 rides a week of around 1 hours 15 mins each. I push myself quite hard according to Garmin average ~155 HR with most of my training in zone 4 and some in 5.

I am feeling a lot better and have lost 37lbs in last 4 months. Got to around 14-15% body fat so going okay.

Best wishes.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
That's why I only race enduro, the ups aren't timed, only the downs! Of course you have to get up the hill and still have energy for the dh. I have done enduro races that involved 1500+ m of climbing 4 days in a row at high altitude, but then others are done primarily on a chairlift, so there's some variety.

Unless you're a pro or want to be one racing isn't all about being fast, for me it's more about the social aspect, riding and training with like-minded people and one of the best things is having that date on your calendar! It keeps you accountable and motivated to get or stay in shape. Local enduro races are more of a party atmosphere, not too serious... most participants are also big beer enthusiasts as well. :D

Enduro is what I would consider in the Clydesdale class lol. My friend I trying to encourage me to partake in local ones. Maybe one day I guess.

Reactions: DaveC and Tim Link

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
Enduro is what I would consider in the Clydesdale class lol. My friend I trying to encourage me to partake in local ones. Maybe one day I guess.
I didn't understand Enduro so this has been enlightening for me. I'm glad they have this different class of racing to highlight different skills and talents. Unfortunately I'm not particularly good at climbing or descending.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Good luck with the move

Lots of of good riding within easy reach of London. Plenty ride out or throw their bike on a train, 30-40 mins from central London by train and you can be into the country. Surrey Hills are a mecca for MTB, trails cut all over the place, one can quickly loose oneself, the maps are good so not to difficult to familiarise. Local knowledge required for the good stuff!

Short and steep is the order of the day for climbing. The popular routes are fairly busy with traffic and other riders.

Head a bit further toward Paul and it's not so busy

West and the Chilterns where I am deliver quiet country roads through rolling hills easily accessed from the end of the Met tube or train. The offroad network isn't as good as Surrey but it's there and there's a great road community with cycling oriented cafes dotted throughout.

You'll not be short of options should you wish to explore.
Sounds fantastic. Looking forward to exploring. While there's some decent road cycling around Chicagoland--Three Oaks in Michigan comes to mind--you really have to drive to it, and that, to me, takes away from some of the liberation of being on a bike.

Chicago has the excellent Lakeshore path, as well. Some good scenery, but... flat, flat, flat.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Yeah I got one of these entry level Garmin forerunner 55 watches for Xmas from my wife.

I average 3 rides a week of around 1 hours 15 mins each. I push myself quite hard according to Garmin average ~155 HR with most of my training in zone 4 and some in 5.

I am feeling a lot better and have lost 37lbs in last 4 months. Got to around 14-15% body fat so going okay.

Best wishes.
Congrats.
I also love mountain biking but I use an e-mtb.
It sounds lame but I can and also do "kill" myself with little support from the motor for 1 to 2 hours steep uphill.

stirlingtrayle

Yep, been a road rider for over 4*cough* years. Had a bit of a setback in 2021 so 2022 is a reduce excess tonnage/building year! Should be super fun!

Reactions: Uk Paul

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Whatever gets you out on the bike is worth it. I don't mind the e-mtb whizzing past me when I'm chugging up the steeps at 7 km/h manually. :D

I was a little worried about it, but ebikes haven't been a major issue for either mtb trails or bike paths around here. I love my commuter ebike and will surely own an emtb some day. I know a couple girls who don't like to ride with some groups because they feel they're too slow, emtbs have changed their whole mtb world and what they feel they can do on a bike. A friend's dad who is getting up there in age got one and now can ride with his son again without feeling like he's holding him up. I also know a couple guys who got emtbs because they are lazy, fat and drink too much, lol.

Reactions: christoph

rando

Sep 22, 2019
The important distinction is between e-mtb and anything else all the way up to the largest motorcycle. The BMW Amby is a good example of how similar they look at first glance.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Congrats.
I also love mountain biking but I use an e-mtb.
It sounds lame but I can and also do "kill" myself with little support from the motor for 1 to 2 hours steep uphill.

Hi Chris.

Yes I also considered getting an e bike after I got my new enduro bike end of last year. I really see the appeal of an e bike. I went riding with someone in October - I was on my hard tail and he was on his e bike. 3.5 hrs later I was absolutely ruined and he was fresh as a daisy lol.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing