Any Kef R3 or Meta owners here?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I have a pair of Kef R3s in my office and love them. Great for near - field with the coaxial driver and amazing bass especially when coupled with a sub or 2. One of the best bangs for your $ in an affordable monitor IMO!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have a pair of Kef R3s in my office and love them. Great for near - field with the coaxial driver and amazing bass especially when coupled with a sub or 2. One of the best bangs for your $ in an affordable monitor IMO!
I have had the OG LS50. They are outstanding, but Metas are better. Some folks are wondering if R3 or LS50 M is a better choice. R3 have a better bass extension and nicer dynamics. LS50 is more holographic, and perfect for smaller rooms.

Reactions: sbo6

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
I have had both the R3 and LS50 Meta in our "family room" where we stream movies and do casual listening while reading or net browsing etc. I much prefer the LS50 Meta - just more coherent and "musical". Yes, there is a little shortfall in the bass but this is remedied by the amazing little KC62 subwoofer. The sub is only necessary, I think, if you watch movies. Driven by a NAD M10 (original), this minimalist system sees more use than the "big rig" in the basement.

Attachments

• IMG_1684.jpg
    IMG_1684.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 16

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I wish you guys would quit talking up the meta's. I've only had my Blades a year and am by no stretch used to them, yet.

tomsch63

May 31, 2022
Caveat is that I've not yet heard the R3s but I do own LS50 Metas that really stepped up to a new level when I integrated a KS62. Really opened up the LS50 sound and at least in my room it was a very easy integration. It's exciting to have amazing choices!!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Caveat is that I've not yet heard the R3s but I do own LS50 Metas that really stepped up to a new level when I integrated a KS62. Really opened up the LS50 sound and at least in my room it was a very easy integration. It's exciting to have amazing choices!!
The OG LS50's biggest problem was that KEF tried to get deep bass from a speaker too small. We all remember that hard bump in its response that really muddied the midrange down. Luckily now, the Meta fixed that issue, presenting a much nicer, more balanced sound.

tomsch63

May 31, 2022
Yes iFi! BTW my desktop headphone and Focal monitor system is driven by a ZEN DAC V2 and into a ZEN can :) But back to the KEF LS50 Metas. Crossing them over at 90hz really is a good solution for my room. Given that the <90hz goes to the sub it really does make the LS50 Metas sing.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Yes iFi! BTW my desktop headphone and Focal monitor system is driven by a ZEN DAC V2 and into a ZEN can :) But back to the KEF LS50 Metas. Crossing them over at 90hz really is a good solution for my room. Given that the <90hz goes to the sub it really does make the LS50 Metas sing.
Thank you for choosing us! I use the Zen Signature at my desk :)
I think the 90Hz crossover region is nice, but you can try to go a bit higher even. Something like 120Hz. The less bass this driver plays, the better the midrange will be. Do you have any possibility of measuring the LS50s response after closing the bass-reflex tube?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I have had the OG LS50. They are outstanding, but Metas are better. Some folks are wondering if R3 or LS50 M is a better choice. R3 have a better bass extension and nicer dynamics. LS50 is more holographic, and perfect for smaller rooms.
I also moved to the MS50 Meta and the first thing you notice is how much more clarity the Metas have. Not that the R3s are cloudy or unclear, more than the Metas are crystalline and in this department they punch way above their $ IMO.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I also moved to the MS50 Meta and the first thing you notice is how much more clarity the Metas have. Not that the R3s are cloudy or unclear, more than the Metas are crystalline and in this department they punch way above their $ IMO.
The only downside is that LS50M is picky about amplifiers. It requires the amp to handle large currents well and will make every shortcoming very apparent to the user.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing