Any Old Timers - Aragon 24k sp Preamplifier

thegratefuldad

Jan 7, 2022
Looking for an old-timer who may know about Mondial Designs and the difference (if any) between the Aragon 24K preamplifier and the Aragon 24k SP preamplifier.
Were there 2 variations of the same preamplifier?
Is one line-level only, and does the other one have a Phono Stage?

watermelonmanaf

Jan 7, 2023
SP has no phono input/stage. The phono stage version has a load adjustable MM/MC phono stage. Both versions also had an option to upgrade both the power supply and the volume potentiometer.

Last edited:

atlvalet

Mar 7, 2023
As mentioned, the Aragon 24K SP means "Sans Phono" Many come with the IPS power supply and Penny & Giles volume potentiometer.

I had mine upgraded by a fellow who specializes in Aragon gear, and honestly, it sounds pretty damn good. Sold my Schitt Freya+ because it sounded "thin" by comparison. In fact, I have a full Aragon 47K/24K SP/4004 mkii stack and it sounds amazing (all rebuilt/upgraded).

Each component now beats the original specs and sounds damn good. I have some Audio Research gear too, and I love both that and the updated Aragon gear.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I actually me he owner of Aragon at the now defunct Excalibur in Alexandria , Virginia. Aragon was supposed to be a poor mans Krell. I had the combo on demo. I was heavily into tubes at the time.

atlvalet

Mar 7, 2023
Yes, Dan D'Agostino designed the 4004 (and maybe other components). He said he started his new company because he wanted to get back to the magic the KSA-50 gave him (per an interview on Audiophiliacs with Steve Guttenberg).

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I had the preamp and amp back in the day. Really good value for the money. Excellent industrial design. But definitely a solid state sounding combo!

RNSCoach

Mar 24, 2023
I had the preamp and amp back in the day. Really good value for the money. Excellent industrial design. But definitely a solid state sounding combo!
I have an Aragon 24k preamp but no manual. I need instructions to make adjustments for use of MM or MC cartridge. Anyone have info? After 40 years re creating 2.1 channel system to play my large vintage vinyl collection. Thanks.

watermelonmanaf

Jan 7, 2023
I have an Aragon 24k preamp but no manual. I need instructions to make adjustments for use of MM or MC cartridge. Anyone have info? After 40 years re creating 2.1 channel system to play my large vintage vinyl collection. Thanks.

watermelonmanaf

New Member​

24k.shtml HIFI Engine. You'll need to signup to see it, if you're not already a member. Great resource.

atlvalet

Mar 7, 2023
FYI, because I'm a tweaker, I just had the old STK MP-85 caps in my 24K SP replaced by VCap ODAMs. (I was getting a little sibilance with the speakers I had it hooked up to).

Sounds pretty damn good right now and they're just breaking in.

Probably won't ever sell this. Too much nostalgia with the Aragon brand.

Plus, it sounds fantastic. My 24K SP, 47K, and 4004 have all been upgraded and modified.

Attachments

• Aragon 24K SP VCap.jpeg
    Aragon 24K SP VCap.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 7

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I modded an old Aragon 4004mkii new caps and some by pass caps. it’s far more dynamic and musical then the 8008 series.
nothing I tried made the 8008 less warm and more dynamic.
some say the metal transistors made it better who knows.

atlvalet

Mar 7, 2023
I have a set of Palladium 2's that I will eventually modify/update/improve. (basically 1/2 of the 8008 in two separate chassis)

Here's the post on AudioKarma with the upgrades to my 4004. Basically did "everything":

Any here's the thread on my updated/upgraded 47K phono preamp:

(Hope cross-posting is allowed)

Last edited:

12 volt Potato

Feb 28, 2024
Wpg
Hello. First post. Can anybody help me with the Ohm value of the Volume pot of my Aragon 24k. It is NOT the Penny Giles, but the "other" original. No work has been done to this unit. But is scratchy and cuts out and cannot be lubricated. I would replace it if I had the schematics or if I knew the value or suitable replacement. Cost is not a concern as this is one of the quietest pre amps I have tried and i would like to eventually bring it up a level. It does have the phono stage and triangle PS (IPS?)

Thank You

atlvalet

Mar 7, 2023
Hello. First post. Can anybody help me with the Ohm value of the Volume pot of my Aragon 24k. It is NOT the Penny Giles, but the "other" original. No work has been done to this unit. But is scratchy and cuts out and cannot be lubricated. I would replace it if I had the schematics or if I knew the value or suitable replacement. Cost is not a concern as this is one of the quietest pre amps I have tried and i would like to eventually bring it up a level. It does have the phono stage and triangle PS (IPS?)

Thank You

IMO, the place to get your questions answered on this is either AudioKarma or DIYaudio.

One member in particular on AK, Mondialfan, specializes in Aragon gear and can answer many (if not all) questions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing