Any owners of B&W series 800 D4 yet?

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
Anyone here owns D4 series?

I own the 803 D3. A dealer locally had the 803 D4 on display. So I went to listen.

I was not really impressed, I felt my D3 sounds better. Having said this, the dealer had them connected to (obviously) different gear than me, to McIntosh gear, including MC462 stereo amp, and Mac tubes preamp. My guess is with built in DAC. They were also streaming via a Sonos Connect. These kind of auditions are a crapshoot. Unless with my own gear (or similar), and preferably in my room, not much you can learn

Reactions: ozy

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
Greetings, thyname! If only anecdotally helpful, I have a friend who's system is deep in the Naim ecosystem paired with B&W 805 D3 and Rel subs, and he coincidentally mentioned to me that he prefers the D3 series to the newer D4 series. I have very little to no experiece with any of these makers, so I offer this topical feedback only as a soft data-point, if helpful.

Re-tread

Reactions: thyname

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
I don't see many people talking about B&W on this forum. Try: https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26
Thanks. I read what I could find on that forum, including the main thread on a member trying at his home the 802 D4 vs. D3. A very strong case for the D4. I guess I will have to buy for myself to really know, which given the price, it’s a huge gamble. I wish there was an easier way.

pcf

Feb 26, 2022
Thanks. I read what I could find on that forum, including the main thread on a member trying at his home the 802 D4 vs. D3. A very strong case for the D4. I guess I will have to buy for myself to really know, which given the price, it’s a huge gamble. I wish there was an easier way.
Hi...new member here, been following and learning for a while, thanks all for your contributions. I've just installed a pair of B & W 801D4's in my new room (just moved a month ago and building new system) about a week ago and so far color me impressed. I'd been a horn (AG) and FRD listener (Voxativ, AER, REPS). I recently moved to SS with the CH Precision gear and have them with an I1 on high/mid & an A1 on the bass.

I'd owned previous B & W and later began to prefer the dynamics and localization of FRD and horns, but never got any decent bass in any of my rooms. So I drifted into boxes again starting with monitors then full range boxes like Q1, YG, Focal, etc. even a brief encounter with Devore 0/96, Hornings, and too many others to recall.

Looking for my next speaker I considered Estelon X Diamond and Magico M3/Q7. I want bass, but not at the expense of dynamics, localization, and image density which I value most. Then, by accident I came across of 801D4's and thought why not? I've only had them breaking in gently for about a week but I'm very impressed most with how transparent these speakers are as well as the quality of especially the bass, though the mid-band is excellent as are the highs. A very balanced (maybe bottom up) sound that is both coherent and not too fussy in terms of placement, in my 22 x 20 x 18 ft room.

IMG_0055.jpeg

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
Hi...new member here, been following and learning for a while, thanks all for your contributions. I've just installed a pair of B & W 801D4's in my new room (just moved a month ago and building new system) about a week ago and so far color me impressed. I'd been a horn (AG) and FRD listener (Voxativ, AER, REPS). I recently moved to SS with the CH Precision gear and have them with an I1 on high/mid & an A1 on the bass.

I'd owned previous B & W and later began to prefer the dynamics and localization of FRD and horns, but never got any decent bass in any of my rooms. So I drifted into boxes again starting with monitors then full range boxes like Q1, YG, Focal, etc. even a brief encounter with Devore 0/96, Hornings, and too many others to recall.

Looking for my next speaker I considered Estelon X Diamond and Magico M3/Q7. I want bass, but not at the expense of dynamics, localization, and image density which I value most. Then, by accident I came across of 801D4's and thought why not? I've only had them breaking in gently for about a week but I'm very impressed most with how transparent these speakers are as well as the quality of especially the bass, though the mid-band is excellent as are the highs. A very balanced (maybe bottom up) sound that is both coherent and not too fussy in terms of placement, in my 22 x 20 x 18 ft room.

View attachment 89734
Thanks for chiming in @pcf ! Looks fantastic! Beautiful. And 18’ ceilings? Wow!

And quite a journey with your speakers. Landing you on B&W 801 D4 definitely means something. Congratulations!

Are you in US? If so, can you share how long it took from the time you placed the order with your dealer until you received them? Thank you

pcf

Feb 26, 2022
Thanks @thyname, it took about 3 weeks as my dealer sold me his incoming demo pair. I'll add that today, at just about 7 days the sound jumped up a few levels and they now actually exceed my expectations. The mids are opening up nicely and the soundstage now sometimes fills the room and I hear sounds coming from every corner of the room. Surprised how quick they are with none of the politeness I remember from older series.

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
Thanks @thyname, it took about 3 weeks as my dealer sold me his incoming demo pair. I'll add that today, at just about 7 days the sound jumped up a few levels and they now actually exceed my expectations. The mids are opening up nicely and the soundstage now sometimes fills the room and I hear sounds coming from every corner of the room. Surprised how quick they are with none of the politeness I remember from older series.
@pcf : I am jealous. Fantastic amps too. Can you share what those little “blocks” on the top of amps are?

It also looks like you are using Shunyata Sigma speaker cables. Please correct me if I am mistaken

pcf

Feb 26, 2022
The blocks are HRS dampening plates. The rack and shelf made a HUGE difference, then the Helix footers, lastly the dampening plates added that last bit of focus. The cables are Audioquest temps while I test new cables.

Cadguy

Jan 13, 2022
@pcf May ask you about the 801 D4 treble and how it compares to the treble in your previous Focals and YGs? In terms of the size of the soundstage in your room does it seem to go above the tops of the speakers and beyond the sides of the speakers?

audiophile expert

Mar 23, 2022
Hi, I popped into Sevenoaks in Reading today who have just received their 801 D4 in black. The guys said that they are too big for the demo room and there might be a good deal on them. If anyone is after a pair give them a shout.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Local dealer 801 D4 with Michi Pre/Power sounded very good indeed
he told me B&W make 6500 sets of 800s per year

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Hi, I popped into Sevenoaks in Reading today who have just received their 801 D4 in black. The guys said that they are too big for the demo room and there might be a good deal on them. If anyone is after a pair give them a shout.
How big is the demo room?

kparmer65

May 13, 2022
Did B&W discontinue the 801D4’s. I’m looking for a set. How can I inquire a pair. I just traded my 801N’s for a set of Magico A5’s touted as the absolute best speaker ever made. I just can’t live with them. For me they are completely over rated and unlistenable. Soon as will be up for sale.
any suggestions?

pcf

Feb 26, 2022
Did B&W discontinue the 801D4’s. I’m looking for a set. How can I inquire a pair. I just traded my 801N’s for a set of Magico A5’s touted as the absolute best speaker ever made. I just can’t live with them. For me they are completely over rated and unlistenable. Soon as will be up for sale.
any suggestions?
The 801D4 is the new model, it's a great speaker in my 18x22' room. I'd demo'd the A5 and the decision was easy...

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
any suggestions?
The 801 D4 is the new top of the line of B&W Diamond series. Just came out last year. Cannot possibly be discontinued.

If you are located in USA, plenty of B&W dealers. Including BB's Magnolia Design Centers

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
any suggestions?
Nobody has ever said or claimed the Magico A5 is "the absolute best speaker ever made".

Reactions: kparmer65

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing