Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: analogsa

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Thanks knghifi for this reference !:)

Although still a sort of accurate, I guess it comes down how this translates into todays amp offering. What is seems is that ARC is shifting a bit away from there ARC bloom, large soundstage, mid range forward’isch sound with their new Ref 160 models while CAT is staying with their concept with the CL7 described it as a smaller package of their reference amps but with a more convenient tube biasing. Wondering if this will bring the two closer to each other. That also might bring the 2 amps closer.

My current ARC Ref 150 SE got more “reserve” since I have brought the AudioQuest Niagara 5000 in the set-up.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think in that article Marc generalizes about solid state amps. I certainly preferred the Gamut to the ARC ref 110 on my Martin Logans, and I am usually a valve guy. I owned the ARC, and had compared ARC to Mark Levinson and the Krell Evo directly on the Logans, and had also heard devialet and MSB 200 on the same Logan speaker. At that time, I was not aware of other quality SS amps that I am now, but the Gamut was certainly better than the ARC even on vocals, which is an ARC strength.

Reactions: KeithR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing