Anyone ever use "Soundproof" room dividers?

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Hello,

I'm curious if anyone has experience you could share on using the above mentioned devices and if there are any pitfalls to watch out for when considering such a product?

I see that these things come in many forms (ie..heavy curtains/drapes,solid folding walls..etc). My preference would be the curtain/drape format personally as I think they would blend in better and can be tucked out of the way or held open when not needed.

My reasoning for looking into these things is that I've recently moved into a new house which is a pretty open concept design and the listening room (ie..living room) flows into the kitchen/dining room with only a center wall separating the three rooms. There is an open doorway/walk-thru at each end of this center wall leading into either the kitchen or dining room. As it stands today I'm hearing a good bit of "kitchen related noises" while sitting in the listening room. Mostly the refrigerator if I had to pick the biggest culprit.

My thought was to perhaps explorer the use of these curtain/drape products to see if they could greatly reduce the transmission of noise from kitchen into the listening room. I'm thinking the curtain/drape would need to extend from floor to ceiling at both ends of the center wall in hopes that in doing so there would be less chance of the disturbing sounds slipping thru.

Does anyone have a general sense of how many "DB's" of sound transmission these dividers are able to reduce? Are there better options (besides using a different room or shutting off the fridge)? Or has anyone experimented with putting a timer or similar on the fridge to schedule shutting it down during listening sessions but turn it back on automatically after some number of hours (in case I forget after slugging back too many glasses of booze).

Thanks for any thoughts or recommendations in advance

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing