Anyone familiar with the 1978 Lafite Rothschild?

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I guarantee you would be able to tell the difference. Wine appreciation is not such an esoteric gift. I've had lots of friends who thought they wouldn't be able to taste the difference between fine wine and swill and every one of them, to their surprise, has been able to appreciate fine wine. So, you don't have to be a wine snoot. "Cigar box" and "lead pencil" nuances in the aromatics and palate are actually classic markers and descriptors of aged Bordeaux, as well as other Cabernet based wines, but especially typical of Lafite.

I guess it could be funny, but on the other hand, think of how many fine cheeses smell like sweaty gym socks or mildewed shower curtain.

Other descriptors used to describe red wines are; Forest floor, rusty nail, underbrush, barnyard, animal fur, lavender, leather, road tar, shoe polish, roasted herbs, coffee, baking chocolate....

None of these would be likely to taste good on their own, but as nuances in a tapestry of flavors that include layers of tart red and black fruits, these can be just as enticing as sweaty gym socks.

Ever smelled a truffle?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
rsbeck-your descriptions just keep getting funnier. Barnyard, road tar, and shoe polish all sound so appealing. And no, I have never smelled or eaten a truffle to my knowledge. Aren't truffles dug up by pigs? My tastes are simple I guess. Give me a prime NY Strip about 1 1/2" thick cooked on the grill until medium rare, a baked potato preferably cooked on the grill, and some fresh corn on the cob and a cold beer and I'm in hog heaven. The bottom line is that we don't all share the same passions in life and I have no passion for wine at all. I'm certainly glad others enjoy it and are willing to pay incredible amounts of money for a wine they can't even drink for 20 years. I would rather go to a local brew pub and drink some really good beer.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
rsbeck-your descriptions just keep getting funnier. Barnyard, road tar, and shoe polish all sound so appealing. And no, I have never smelled or eaten a truffle to my knowledge. Aren't truffles dug up by pigs? My tastes are simple I guess. Give me a prime NY Strip about 1 1/2" thick cooked on the grill until medium rare, a baked potato preferably cooked on the grill, and some fresh corn on the cob and a cold beer and I'm in hog heaven. The bottom line is that we don't all share the same passions in life and I have no passion for wine at all. I'm certainly glad others enjoy it and are willing to pay incredible amounts of money for a wine they can't even drink for 20 years. I would rather go to a local brew pub and drink some really good beer.

I can imagine how odd it must sound. I can recall when I first got into wine, it sounded odd to me, too.

But, I can also recall when I was very young and I would try a taste of my dad's beer and how awful it tasted to me then.

Same thing with fine aged cheeses.

You simple steak dinner sounds great.

Truffles are dug up by pigs.

They are delicious.

Probably all they eat in hog heaven.

I can also go for a good micro brew beer.

Or, a good imported beer.

One of my favorite memories is the time I went to Ireland to the Guinness factory and drank a nice fresh pint on the top floor tasting room/bar overlooking Dublin.

But, that's for the beer thread, this is wine.

And your steak dinner idea would go great with a fine aged red wine with enticing flavors of barnyard, lead pencil, and road tar.....

Ahhhhhhhhh............

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The 78 Lafite is now drinking past its peak maturity but is still good. Prices on wine-searcher.com show about $700-800 at a few locations in the US.
http:///Users/marty/Desktop/78 lafite.png

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing