Anyone here ever used the HPA-1 Headphone Amplifier?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I was wondering what you think the pros and cons were of the amp?

I noticed it doesn't come with a remote - can a Pass Pre-Amp (XP-12) control it ...?

Also what headphones are you using with it?

Thanks in advance for your impressions and comments.

Patatorz

VIP/Donor
Aug 8, 2015
France
patatorz.com
I’m trying it since few days with a Sennheiser HD800S and a Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back. DAC is a metrum amethyst and source a metrum ambre.
Need more time to have feedbacks but no problem with the headphones mentioned above.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Thanks Patatorz. That is very helpful. The Sennheiser HD800S and Audeze LCD-3 were already on my short list of hopefuls.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
It seems like passlabs has a better reputation amongst the speaker world versus the headphone world.

Just from what I see. I could be wrong.

all2ofme

Aug 17, 2018
Did you sort something out Audire?

FWIW I love my HPA-1 — I run a pair of HD800S 'phones (balanced) into it and it sounds fantastic. It also does stellar duty as a preamp into an XA25.

It'll be interesting to hear if I can improve on it with a Bartok that I have on the way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing