Anyone know of a DIY R2R Tape Recorder or Turntable?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I see many electronic and speaker DIY projects, but I have never seen a DIY tape recorder (either cassette or R2R) or a DIY Turntable. I am not talking about modifying or restoring an existing unit, but a build from scratch, either fabricating parts or assembling from repurposed parts.

Anyone know about anyone doing one?

Thanks, Larry

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
There's lots of DIY turntables out there. The thing is they're simple enough that no one really offers a kit or anything like that. But then again the level of how good they are varies from amazing to junk, depending on the DIY skill level. There's some world class speed controller PCB gerbers on DIYaudio in a thread somewhere.

Cassette and R2R... well it's not surprise we don't see that.

HakanGoksel

Apr 12, 2019
Hi
I am living in Istanbul from TURKEY and I am intrested in diy r2r tape.I am
electronic technician and design engineer.
start designing the similar AKAI-GX-4000D R2R tape in a three-dimensional program.

If you are interested, I can share the stages with you and carry out the developments together.
Hakan GOKSEL
hakangoksel@gmail.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing