Anyone out there got their Tidal stream to sound BETTER than their NAS? What is your SPECIFIC setup? Or is it impossible?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
ask about Qobuz and you might get some takers. i've not really compared directly in my set-up, but it would not surprise me if Qobuz was equal to my NAS right now.

but i'd guess my internal PCIe files are still better.

Tidal is a step down from any of these to my ears.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
agreed. Tidal is good sometimes but Qobuz is far better. The only reason to use it is for stuff I don't have on my hard drive and its great to find new music.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
agreed. Tidal is good sometimes but Qobuz is far better. (...)

The challenging question is why. Are we comparing bit exact equal files when we address the sound quality of Tidal and Qobus? Or even of servers?

People report that sound from the internal PCIe files is better. Why not buffering the data stream in the same type of memory and structure used to save the PCIe files?

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
A stand alone steamer will automatically cleanse off residue playback memory if you choose the next subsequent track from another album different from the one you just played before.

And coupled with the correct powering up sequence, the right ethernet cables, the sound can be optimised to sound very good.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
The sequence whereby which digital device is powered up first is important as it fcuking hell affect sound.

Always power up the transport/streamer, and once they are settled, then power up the dac. Sounds better that way.

When switching from one digital input to another on the same dac, subsequently sound will suffer. Always, first switch to that input that you want to play next, then shut down the dac. Then power up the dac again so that it freshly lock on to that desired input. Then it sounds audibly better.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Using Yamaha WXC-50 streamer, connected to the EMM Labs DAC2Xv2 via glass optical cable. The DAC is also connected to its companion TSDX transport via the company's proprietary optiLink. The dac is left powered on at all times, except when doing "refreshing:

When playing tidal from the streamer,, I will first switch to the input for streamer on the dac. Then play a short song at the end of an album (not the one you actually want to play. I always use the last track of tracy Chapman debut album for this purpose). After that song ends, i will shut down the dac. Then wait for a few seconds and power up the dac again. The dac will power up and lock automatically to the data stream from the streamer. When i freshly choose my desired track from a freshly chosen album, the music will sound fresh, opened, and dynamic.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Search for ELECOM Cat8 ethernet cables.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing