Anyone successfully pairing a non Magico sub with their Magico speakers?

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Hello,

I'm strongly considering the purchase of either the Magico S3 or S5 in the very near future and was curious if any subs on the market could be considerd fast enough to match well with, mainly the S3, as I suspect a sub may not be needed with the S5 except for maybe cleaning up room modes...etc

As mentioned in the thread title I'm not interested in hearing about how a Magico sub integrates in such a system but more so interested in something like a JL Fathom or similar.

Thanks for your thoughts.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Welp, based on the underwhelming response to the original question I went ahead and took the liberty of assuming the answer to this question has been addressed elsewhere on the forum.

After much digging I found some mention of sub integration in another thread using the Magico Mini II's and a JL branded sub which didn't turn out so well for the user. This is a bit depressing to think one needs to drop another $15k on a Magico specific sub in order to have a good outcome when using a Magico speaker.

I guess at the end of the day, at Magico prices, the assumption is that dropping $15K more for a sub is probably not that big a deal. My wallet will need some time to recover from my recent S3 purchase so I was hoping to find a happy medium sub to hold me off for a while. On that note, I haven't ruled out the possibility that the other user who didn't have success mating a sub with a Magico didn't try hard enough ;)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Welp, based on the underwhelming response to the original question I went ahead and took the liberty of assuming the answer to this question has been addressed elsewhere on the forum.

After much digging I found some mention of sub integration in another thread using the Magico Mini II's and a JL branded sub which didn't turn out so well for the user. This is a bit depressing to think one needs to drop another $15k on a Magico specific sub in order to have a good outcome when using a Magico speaker.

I guess at the end of the day, at Magico prices, the assumption is that dropping $15K more for a sub is probably not that big a deal. My wallet will need some time to recover from my recent S3 purchase so I was hoping to find a happy medium sub to hold me off for a while. On that note, I haven't ruled out the possibility that the other user who didn't have success mating a sub with a Magico didn't try hard enough ;)

Sorry, I didn't see your original post. You are looking for a fast sub matching the speed of your Magico. I have a REL Storm III subwoofer, and it is really fast. Here is what Madfloyd, who has the Magico M Project speakers, says about my system's bass (page 1 of the system thread, linked in my signature):

It has FAST bass, with no overhang and transients that floored me.

(Regarding that he was particularly impressed with hearing American Idiot by Green Day.)

And on page 3 he says:

And the percussion was dynamite! ...We played a cut off Eric Dolphy's Out To Lunch and everything, including the acoustic bass was fantastic. Detailed with a dig-in punch that was very realistic and enjoyable.

Just this evening I was listening to AC/DC again. I could achieve an absolutely massive sound with black bass, but at the same time quick on its feet, with excellent rhythm & timing. You probably would have been very impressed if you could have heard it. I don't say this to brag, but because I am confident.

My REL Storm III cost $ 2K fifteen years ago. I assume you could get an equivalent current REL sub for ca. $ 3-4K.

REL is the way to go.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I should add that my main speakers also have a very fast sound, quite Magico-like (I have heard both the Magico Mini II in Peter A's system and the M Project in Madfloyd's system). So it's not just that relative to a medium-paced main speaker the REL subwoofer is fast. It's fast in absolute terms -- at the very least in my set-up and room.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
You may want to consider the Wilson Benesch Torus and ideally one for each channel but then the cost mounts up - not sure how the model has changed-revised over the years so probably makes sense to audition a more recent one, bear in mind this is not ideal for home theatre and more like a lower frequency speaker driver.
But it is fast and similar concept to Magico.
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?7936-Wilson-Benesch-TORUS
Price should be good if you can get hold of an ex-demo or quality 2nd hand one but might make it tricky then to audition in your system.

Cheers
Orb

rhyno

Dec 29, 2010
i have magico s3s and JL F110s (pair) . s3s running full range, subs crossed in a 60hz w/ 24db / octave filter on. i'm very pleased, and visitors (golden ear types) notice little to no overhang w/ the summing of frequencies down low. mids & up are unpolluted. and i didnt really enjoy the s3s til i got the subs...just not enough bass without them.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I am currently using my S7 with a Von Schweikert Shockwave V15 with good result. The V15 produces quick, solid and very clean bass and while the system is not fully optimized yet, I think the combination work well together. While not as expensive as the Q subs, the V15 is also on the pricey side. Albert designed to work with the big VR100XS.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Its good to hear of more people having success with sub integration.

I'll have to take another look but for some reason I thought JL Audio had stopped making their 10" sub. At one point I was pretty excited with the thought of having several of those 10" subs scattered about the room but recall not being too impressed with their low frequency extension specs compared to the woofers inside the speaker cabinet. I will have to take another look though.

rhyno

Dec 29, 2010
also worth noting: putting the subs on a 3" thick maple block (ie get subs 3" plus off the ground to reduce boundary reinforcement which slows PRAT in bass) helped a lot, as did switching soft feet that came w/ subs to cones (rubber feet are slow and inarticulate). any cones are fine. these tweaks helped a lot for tightening things up.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
I should add that my main speakers also have a very fast sound, quite Magico-like (I have heard both the Magico Mini II in Peter A's system and the M Project in Madfloyd's system). So it's not just that relative to a medium-paced main speaker the REL subwoofer is fast. It's fast in absolute terms -- at the very least in my set-up and room.

I quite agree with the fact that the REL subs are very fast. I use a pair of REL G1s with my Aviors and while it took me some time to dial them in, the overall bass response has improved tremendously. And the Aviors are very very coherent and fast by themselves. The RELs have added another dimension to the soundstage and scale of the music!

Another positive aspect, in my view, is the high level Speakon connectors that REL promote that ensure the mains run full range and there is no external crossover which render the internal crossover design of the main speakers irrelevant.

Cheers

Sujay

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am currently using my S7 with a Von Schweikert Shockwave V15 with good result. The V15 produces quick, solid and very clean bass and while the system is not fully optimized yet, I think the combination work well together. While not as expensive as the Q subs, the V15 is also on the pricey side. Albert designed to work with the big VR100XS.

Congratulations on your S7. I think you are one of the first S7 owners at WBF. Do you have any photos to share and could you describe the sound with what you previously had? I've heard some great early reports about this speakers. Thanks.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
also worth noting: putting the subs on a 3" thick maple block (ie get subs 3" plus off the ground to reduce boundary reinforcement which slows PRAT in bass) helped a lot, as did switching soft feet that came w/ subs to cones (rubber feet are slow and inarticulate). any cones are fine. these tweaks helped a lot for tightening things up.

Yup...i have a $60 Auralex Subwoofer isolation platform I believe Auralex makes isolation stands most often used for bands who need them on stage for performances or in studio. But under a sub, their platform works incredibly well. the increased speed-thing really came from losing the 'floorboard reverb' when the sub was sitting directly on top of the floor, i suppose.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing