Anyone try Isoacoustics Gaia’s and Townshend Seismic Podiums?

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I’ve been happy with the Gaias under my VSA Endeavor SE speakers, but I’ve also been a long time fan of Max Townshend’s products. I was just reading through the TAS review of the Seismic Isolation Podiums for speakers and wondered if anyone had a chance to try these and the Gaias under their speakers. Wondering how these might compare.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi, can't help on the Townshend comparison, but I directly A/Bd Gaias under my Zus versus Arya Audio Revopods. Based a thread here on the experience.

One of my more fascinating comparison episodes, and despite the Gaias being positive in many ways, the Revopods were more consistent and in the end the Gaias were easily beaten.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I’ve used Gaia’s under my Sasha 2’s on a suspended timber floor with very good results, and coupled with my recent room treatments has made an overall improvement
I cannot comment on other feet or platforms.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Gaia's with outriggers on my Bache Audio Metro 001's were a big improvement over everything else I tried.

Still using a last generation Townshend Seismic Sink air platform under my sacd player - no plans to replace it as long as it continues to work.

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
My experience has only been with the Gaia II. I currently use five sets beneath five identical stand mounted ATC active monitors. The Isoacoustics footers completely lived up to their hype with my likely worst-case scenario suspended floors. The gorgeous original maple floors in our 2nd floor loft are in a 120 year old building with sagging, springy 20 foot suspended spans. The Gaia's provided a very obvious improvement in clarity over either of the stock adjustable spike (+ brass protector) or glider foot options for the heavy mass-loaded 4 post Skylan speaker stands.

Reactions: jackelsson

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Vince, I'll match you and raise you...my loft audio space is in a 150 yr old building w 50' x 35' span!
The Gaias were very impressive until I compared them to what I ended up choosing. I know very much why you like them.

Heckyman

Oct 22, 2020
I tried both with PMC25.23. Had the Gaia’s for a month, cleaned up the mids nicely but I lost some bass impact. Tried the Townshends and the bass was better than ever, a true improvement with no downsides.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Thanks @Heckyman, and to the others who’ve commented.

taww

Jun 12, 2020
New Jersey
taww.co
I'm about to order Gaia II's for my Audiovector SR 6 speakers. After moving to a new (old) home with a suspended solid wood floor (no subfloor!), I realized the stock spikes with brass cups aren't optimal. I had the speakers on furniture sliders and was amazed at how sweet and expressive the speakers sounded in the new space, though bass was a bit absent. When I went back to the spikes, I was surprised how much harder the sound got, and the bass wasn't really that much better. (Separate problem, I suspect my knob-tube wiring is rather high impedance/inductance.) I now have the sliders under the brass cups which makes the setup a little springy, and it sounds quite nice, so clearly isolation will be beneficial.

An Audiovector owner who has experimented with footers recommended Soundcare/SEAS Superspikes, Isoacoustics Gaia and Townshend Seismic Podium in order of ascending price/performance. He did say the Townshend was in a class of its own. Perhaps a comparison test down the road, though the Townshend will likely require spousal approval on aesthetics... :D Arya Audio Revopods also look promising. I'll report back on the Gaia's.

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
I have the Townshend Seismic Isolation platform, usually used under turntables, CD players or electronics. I find it to be extremely effective in all ways, but particularly - in symphonic music - in separating out musical lines from each other and making a presentation more coherent (30 instruments, all going at once, can produce a "blare" of sound. The sound tends to "blur" just a little. Flutes and piccolos were not easy to follow, never mind the louder instruments closer to the microphone).

I took it to a friend's house once, just for fun and we played several records. HE was the one who picked up on how in, "I Am a Rock" on a Simon and Garfunkel album, the first time we played it (placed under his turntable), how good it sounded, compared to his (non-audiophile) rack. Then I adjusted the Nordost isolation feet under his (inexpensive) integrated amp, played it again (the whole experiment was using a turntable) and suddenly we could quite clearly hear Paul Simon's very nasal voice.

That fascinated me, so I looked at the setup again. The Springs on the isolation pods were not completely vertically top to bottom. I then straightened the isolation pod springs to be completely vertical (they can "slide" a bit sidewards - as springs can do - so that, instead of the springs being in a proper 12 noon to 6 pm completely vertical position, it looks as if the spring part on the bottom part of the isolation platform (sitting directly on the shelf) is at a 1 pm - 7 pm angle. The difference was rather surprising: as he put it, "I can hear the air around Paul Simon, (which means the recording booth or wherever it was he was singing in)." I've found the same thing at home, and I don't care too much about the "technology" involved, although I understand the principles of the platform (killing floor borne vibrations as well as airborne vibrations). I use my ears, which know what music sounds like in symphony halls and (well, 40 years ago, small cabarets and clubs, which is to say "not miked"). Pretty damned effective!

Last edited:

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I have employed IsoAcoustics Gaia’s for my previous woofer boxes and monitors with excellent results. Also employed them on a diy rack to the concrete floor in my new listening room and under my mono block power amp bamboo plinths and find them very effective.

calloway

Nov 3, 2011
danville,va
+1...for the Arya 'RevOpods..am demoing 2 sets now to go under my Tidal speakers but last night...waiting for a friend to come up from NC to help me on sunday install them on the speakers, i put 3 of them under my Lumin X1. The improvement over the EVPs i was using was amazing.. significant improvement across the board.will add 2 more tonight under the PSU and see if that, again, improves the sound..

Reactions: Maceear

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Well I have the Iso_Acoustic Gaia #1's under my Focal Sopra 2's speakers, and I really like them. But, being the Audiophile always looking for something better, I just ordered the Townshend #3 speaker platforms.
Hopefully they will arrive in the next few weeks.

ozzy

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Like @Heckyman I lost bass impact when I replaced the stock spikes on my Coincident PREs with Gaias.

For some time I used the smaller Isoacoustic pods under my speakers' head units (i.e., monitors that sit on top of bass cabinets). Was a definite improvement over no footer, but I eventually put in some cheap Chinese springs and they were a further improvement over the IA products. They produce quite a bit more isolation, which I can directly feel by placing my hand on the speaker when music is playing. The springs keep more low frequency energy from transmitting through the cabinets than the pods. At $25 for a set of 4, I now have them under all of my electronics.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Well I have the Iso_Acoustic Gaia #1's under my Focal Sopra 2's speakers, and I really like them. But, being the Audiophile always looking for something better, I just ordered the Townshend #3 speaker platforms.
Izzy, can’t wait to hear your thoughts! If my system wasn’t mostly in boxes at the moment I’d likely be considering the same thing.

remdeck

Apr 10, 2018
Great input here!
Our new listing room in the attic also has problems with the springy floor. My Avantgarde Acoustic Uno (2004) lose most of their bass, perhaps through the floor. There is almost no vibration in the floor. One floor downstairs, there is very little bass coming through. So it sounds like the floor absorbs a LOT of energy!
It is filled with clay, mineral damping and the oak floor panels, floating on hemp. Very heavy.

At the moment I have Soundcare Superspikes on the AA Uno. These are great, but now I suspect they are not the right footers.
Would Gaia be a better option? Should I isolate the Uno from the floor, and how? Townshend is a (very expensive) option, but is there a platform big enough for the Uno?

Regards, Remco

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
tony22,
It looks like the Townshend platforms may arrive as early as next Monday! Hard to believe though, but hoping its true.

ozzy

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Strange, I received one of the Townshend Platforms today. That was real fast.
Albeit only one. Hopefully Monday I'll receive the other.

ozzy

Reactions: advanced101

Oracle1974

Jun 28, 2020

ozzy
Hello Ozzzy, did you also consider buying the Townshend Seismic Bars which probably do the job of the Seismic podium and at a lower cost.
All the best for the speaker platforms and look forward to hearing your views once both the platforms arrive.
Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing