Anyone w experence with Eoteric/APL NWO 4.0 Master Edition

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
APL:s final statment CDP. One of the worlds most expensive one box CDP
I have a used one on loan this weekend.
Anyone who owns it or have compared it to others on shows, at dealesr etc.
Any problems?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Ulf,

Very curious to learn your impressions! I have only read the comparisons of his earlier work..well covered in Audiogon over the years. How much is retail price?

Fplanner2000

May 27, 2012
I've had one over a year and no problems. Bests any multi-box setup I've heard, plus stand-alone single-box setups, including Esoteric K-01. Haven't heard the new P02/D02 Esoteric yet - my hunch is that they would be close. New DAC-M I've read takes things to an even higher level, but have not heard to date. Obviously this is a very subjective thing, so its not about "best" but what fits your ears and system personally.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and welcome to the WBF, Fplanner2000. Glad to see you here and thank you for your observations on this player.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Fplanner

The seller says that it should be hooked directly to the amps. But since this particular CDP has no XLR and my monos has only XLR I cant test this. Besides since I use many sources i need my pre.
How do you use yours?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've had one over a year and no problems. Bests any multi-box setup I've heard, plus stand-alone single-box setups, including Esoteric K-01. Haven't heard the new P02/D02 Esoteric yet - my hunch is that they would be close. New DAC-M I've read takes things to an even higher level, but have not heard to date. Obviously this is a very subjective thing, so its not about "best" but what fits your ears and system personally.

Welcome to the WBF Harve. :)

Fplanner2000

May 27, 2012
Hi Jack - glad to be aboard.
When you get a chance, i sent you several pms on audioicircle.

Ulf - My NWO-M goes into my preamp, single-ended, then balanced out to the amps.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi Jack - glad to be aboard.
When you get a chance, i sent you several pms on audioicircle.

Ulf - My NWO-M goes into my preamp, single-ended, then balanced out to the amps.

Thats how my on loan APL is connected. Single ended to Acuphase (APL own cable or Kubala Emotion) then PAD Canorus (a spectacular good IC) balanced to D´augostino Momentum monos. The sound from the APL is very very good.
The problem is that my Nagra CDP - att 1/3 of the price - sounds nearly as good. The difference is very small. Apl a little more dynamic and clear and forward. Nagra little more warm and laid back.

Fplanner2000

May 27, 2012
If yours is an M, it shouldn't even be close. Its very subjective, obviously. You need to get what makes you happy.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Harve,

I've been answering your PMs. Your inbox might be full if you haven't been getting them.

Sorry for the OT guys.

perrew

May 30, 2012
Well, I have to spoil the party for anyone thinking they can buy a Nagra and get APL NWO-M sound:) Since it was my loaner player that Stefan used, I was a bit puzzled when he told me the sound was similar, since having compared the APL to other top offerings like the Weiss Transport/Dac combo and the big MBL combo and the APL always coming out ahead, so when I picked the player up this evening I brought along a couple of CDs to listen to the two players along side. Among the songs that were played were Elton Johns - Madman Across the Water, Jeff Beck - Space for the Papa, Katie Melua - Piece by Piece, Metallica - Dont Tread on Me, Kanye West - Love Lockdown. The combo of the last two are particularly good to judge the bass quality of the system if it can play them well. Although the Nagra is a very nice player its not up to the APL standard for me, the Nagra is flat in comparison so the best way to describe it for me is the APL is similar to very good vinyl and the Nagra has a flatter more digital sound. So I have to disagree, to me the difference is very big, although it would have been very nice to be close at 1/3rd the price:) For anyone wanting to read a long review of the APL NWO player I recommend searching for the review from the handle "puremusic".

Fplanner2000

May 27, 2012
Thanks for some perspective. I didn't see any way it could possibly be as close as claimed. I still think a good comparison might be with the new Esoteric P02/D02.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
We all hear different things when comparing HIFI equipment. I stand by my opinion. The APL was faster and had more resolution and more upfront. Nagra more laidback and warmer. For me the Nagra was more like vinyl.

I hade two friends listning. Both very skilled listners with high end gear in the 100K USD range. One actually prefered Nagra by a small margin. The other prefered APL with a small margin. This guy has a Krell Cipher CDP witch we have tried in my setup.
He says that APL was very similar sounding to his Cipher in my setup.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Yes I enjoy. This is whats our hobby is all about - to find what I prefere among all alternatives.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing