Apocalypse Now- Final Cut

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
For Thursday 15-August we have purchased tickets to see the 40th Anniversary "Apocalypse Now Final Cut" at a local IMAX theater. According to Coppola this is about 30 minutes longer than the original release but 20 minutes sorter than "Redux". It has been remastered for current sound and picture quality, whatever that means. I haven't seen it in a theater since 1979.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It's on my list/Seems to me that we talked about that here a few months ago

It's a film that continues to draw you in regardless of which version

IMAX will be amazing to both watch and hear this film

Reactions: jeff1225

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Steve , I are hope so.

Reactions: mountainjoe

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Saw The Final cut tonight in IMAX. Forget seeing this at home as the Big Screen was what this was made for. The new 4K version was everything I had hoped for. Really stunning. I was a bit disappointed in the sound in “our” IMAX theater. The very low bass I had read about in a few scenes was just not there. Not an issue other than higher expectations had been set. I am going to have to play back the last couple of minutes of the original version as I thought the ending was a bit different.

Reactions: NorthStar

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Have seen Redux cut w Plantation scene. Much prefer Original. I like some ambiguity in my art, and Redux felt redundant.

How does Final Cut measure up? Esp the different ending.

This film marked the total end of an era. When directors were given free rein over their artistic endeavours, and just asked to come back w the finished film.

Coppola, Scorsese, Spielberg, that 70s output will never ever be matched. No matter how much Netflix and Disney throw at the screen.

70s cinema pi$$es over anything made today. However if you love yr films 100% Woke and cgi, you may disagree w me.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Marc, Netflix has Roma, and coming up this Fall The Irishman.

Plus some good documentaries too, of course.
There's one playing now ... The Family.

Apocalypse Now is not on Disney+ channel. :) It's not E.T. style.
Powerful film, very.

* Thanks Jim for the brief technical comments.

** Marc, favorite films of all time?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sorry Bob, after watching Bobby De Niro lose it publicly over the last 3 years, I think I might pass on The Irishman.

Is he still doing his Robert Mueller "impression"? If so, he needs better material.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I agree, the 1970's and early 1980's are my favorite decades for movies. I can't stand CGI, one of the reasons that for modern directors I prefer Quentin Tarantino and Christopher Nolan.

Reactions: NorthStar

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's me. Keith, did you know that in 1973, Americans spent more money buying music than on: concerts, sports and gambling put together.

The days when music really meant something culturally and had monetary worth. Now you get to #1 on Billboard just by getting out of bed.

People actually bought music. And by the shedload. Crazy concept, huh?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Marc, Netflix has Roma, and coming up this Fall The Irishman.

Plus some good documentaries too, of course.
There's one playing now ... The Family.

Apocalypse Now is not on Disney+ channel. :) It's not E.T. style.
Powerful film, very.

* Thanks Jim for the brief technical comments.

** Marc, favorite films of all time?

Coppola's best movie was by far godfather 1. Then G2

I agree, the 1970's and early 1980's are my favorite decades for movies. I can't stand CGI, one of the reasons that for modern directors I prefer Quentin Tarantino and Christopher Nolan.

I like Nolan much more than QT. He is seriously good, consistent yet different. QT has been trying the same tired trick of those ham burger type conversations. I could have written all the dialogues for once upon a time faster than I write a WBF post.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Sorry Bob, after watching Bobby De Niro lose it publicly over the last 3 years, I think I might pass on The Irishman.

Is he still doing his Robert Mueller "impression"? If so, he needs better material.

He was good in Taxi Driver (Scorsese's flick).
I think he could have been fine also in Apocalypse Now.

I'm not going to miss The Irishman, no way.

It's a good job, filmmaker. ...Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg, Stanley Kubrick, Quentin Tarantino, Sergio Leone, Federico Fellini, Akira Kurosawa, Denis Villeneuve, Ridley Scott, Luc Besson, Roman Polanski, and a whole bunch more.

I don't watch Saturday Night Live anymore, and was never into politics and never will be; the darkest underwater world ...The Laurentian fan (abyss).
Apocalypse Now is another dark abyss of American history.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You left out Sidney Lumet and David Lean.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing