ARC Preamp started clicking exceptionally loudly. HELP!

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Hi all,

Not sure what goes here so maybe someone will have an idea. My ARC Ref 3 is clicking in both channels, even on mute and when unmuted extremely loudly. Clicks are multiple per second. This is obviously very unhealthy. I have mono-blocks and it's coming through both channels. Happens when my source component is off.

Any thoughts?

Can you recommend someone in the UK to look at this?

Thanks, Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Did you try replacing the tubes?

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Not yet, if that makes sense I'll give it a go, I have some spares. Never heard that faulty tubes could do this.

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI
Have you tried turning it off and unplugging it for a bit?
I have a ARC LS 25 MKII that on occasion if the power falters all the leds start flashing....only way to stop it is unplug it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi...sorry to hear! Quik checks:
1. Does the clicking get louder or softer with changes in volume or is it constant?
2. And presumably, you have turned on ONLY the amp (preamp off)...and there is NO clicking?

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
1. It is constant and with mute off extremely loud
2. Yes no sound from the amps

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
From your description the noise seems to come from relays or capacitors. In any case, best take it to a qualified tech rather than go it alone! Good luck

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Yeah there is, they are called Absolute sounds and I've met a guy who was charged a lot for work on his ARC pre (can't say whether or not it's fairly but don't want that risk). I have located a couple of engineers that can do the work so all good.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Yeah there is, they are called Absolute sounds and I've met a guy who was charged a lot for work on his ARC pre (can't say whether or not it's fairly but don't want that risk). I have located a couple of engineers that can do the work so all good.
Best of luck for the repair

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing