ARC ref 3... what next?

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
So out of the blue I have a buyer for my ARC reference 3. With some different valves in I was happy with it, except for the treble which just wasn’t quite bright enough (not far off). In terms of large scale imaging what would be the next step up?

I have a budget of <£5k and and will look for second hand. Also want something that I can sell on in the future so ideally not so esoteric that no one has heard of it. Rest of system is Auralic Aries Femto, Ideon reclocker, Lampizator GG2 and Focal Scala Utopia.

Thanks Tim

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
I moved from ARC (admittedly not a Refund, but LS series) to Leben RS-28cx....revelation. Soundstange was immense by comparison. No regrets. No need orvwant to change 3 years on. I appreciate your budget on basis of secondhand is greater, just a thought.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So out of the blue I have a buyer for my ARC reference 3. With some different valves in I was happy with it, except for the treble which just wasn’t quite bright enough (not far off). In terms of large scale imaging what would be the next step up?

I have a budget of <£5k and and will look for second hand. Also want something that I can sell on in the future so ideally not so esoteric that no one has heard of it. Rest of system is Auralic Aries Femto, Ideon reclocker, Lampizator GG2 and Focal Scala Utopia.

Thanks Tim

I moved from ARC REF3 to REF5 and improvement was mainly in articulation, treble and detail.
As far as I remember the V140 had only balanced input and were fully balanced - no input inverter stage - and need a true balanced signal.

Although more expensive than the REF5, an used ARC REF40 is a real bargain.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I moved from ARC REF3 to REF5 and improvement was mainly in articulation, treble and detail.
As far as I remember the V140 had only balanced input and were fully balanced - no input inverter stage - and need a true balanced signal.

Although more expensive than the REF5, an used ARC REF40 is a real bargain.

The cost differential between a used REF5 and a used REF5SE is around $1000. Having used both, I'd say the REF5SE is the better deal. ARC gear holds its resale very well.

Reactions: Pacha

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The cost differential between a used REF5 and a used REF5SE is around $1000. Having used both, I'd say the REF5SE is the better deal. ARC gear holds its resale very well.
Yes, the SE version is a significant improvement. But harder to get at a nice price!

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Thanks all, this is really helpful. I shall get looking! If anyone is UK based and has something good around the £5k mark let me know.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Consider the Conrad Johnson ET5 or later. A used 5 goes for $4K US.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine

Thanks Tim
There is a much smarter way of spending your <£5k budget. Spend it on top-of-the-line parts and use them to replace the junk inside your Ref 3. As result, your modded Ref 3 will outperform Ref 10 (in stock) by a long shot. I've done exactly that. The result is otherworldly and totally beyond description.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Haven't heard the ARC. How does the CJ sound? Wonderfully musical. Read the reviews for the ET5 and later versions. I've found them to be spot on. But if you want a pre that has a pronounced top end bias, look elsewhere.

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Thanks, I don’t need too much warmth, neutral or bright would probably be best.

Tim F

Jun 11, 2018
Be great to get a few more opinions as there are so many experienced people on here. I may up my budget if something is worth it too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing