Are cables with large network boxes primarily for high-powered SS amps?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Transparent, MIT, Ansuz, and a few others have the network boxes on their cables. Are these primarily for SS amplifiers?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
No, but I bet, if you were to poll, most would be SS users

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Those network boxes are just equalization units with attached cables.

No they are not. Their filters are tuned to frequencies at less over one hundred of kHz. They do not affect the frequency response in the audio band. As almost all other cables, their influence in sound quality is poorly understood and presented in a voodoo like style by manufacturers and dealers.

And yes, not all network cables are equal.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Transparent, MIT, Ansuz, and a few others have the network boxes on their cables. Are these primarily for SS amplifiers?

Considering that network cables are tuned we can imagine that their performance will be maximized with low impedance output amplifiers, so we can expect that they will have more acceptance with SS owners than tubes. Some manufacturers (Transparent Audio and MIT , as far I know) tune some of their top cables to either tubes or SS.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
What’s inside those boxes?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Is that a typo?
Any frequency response curves?

Yes, Martin Colloms published them in HFN long ago. As far as I remember the crossover was around 180 KHz.

Are you able to provide any frequency response that substantiates your previous claim?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What’s inside those boxes?

Thanks, but IMHO it would be nice if you could summarize the video content at less in one short sentence or point the interesting time to see.

Reactions: RogerD

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
People who have SETs horns go for signal purity so keep these out

Those with SETs cones might consider swapping these out for Odin (https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/lamm-ml3-ll1-at-last.26525/page-12#post-558590 )

As I own a pair of decent SETs I have measured I find amusing that people refer to signal purity using amplifiers that seriously distort the signal ... :) IMHO SETs can sound great, but it is for many reasons that are not related to signal purity.

But unfortunately my opinion on this affair is only speculative - my Transparent Audio Opus MM2 cables are not tuned to the Lamm SETs and my experience was not a proper one. However some people have reported me excellent results with properly tuned TA cables with SETs.

Did you listen to SETs with Odin sounding great or are you just suggesting?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As I own a pair of decent SETs I have measured I find amusing that people refer to signal purity using amplifiers that seriously distort the signal ... :) IMHO SETs can sound great, but it is for many reasons that are not related to signal purity.

But unfortunately my opinion on this affair is only speculative - my Transparent Audio Opus MM2 cables are not tuned to the Lamm SETs and my experience was not a proper one. However some people have reported me excellent results with properly tuned TA cables with SETs.

Did you listen to SETs with Odin sounding great or are you just suggesting?

I was referring to your speculation in that linked post that Odin might solve issues.

I purposefully referred to SETs horns. SETs and cones will distort and I have never suggested that combination

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I'm not sure what the filter boxes are in these other cables, but my cables used a tuned series termination. Changed with each cable length. Now that really worked for all situations. I'm selling that cable technology now. I don't build them anymore.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I find it interesting that after 30 years, still only TA and MIT in this space - and one came from the other.

In the case with MIT it may have to do with patents. It is also interesting that after 30 years and all of the disparaging comments about these two brands that they are still in business and seem to be quite successful. Given the prices and all of the negative comments I’m really surprised that they are as popular as they are.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In the case with MIT it may have to do with patents. It is also interesting that after 30 years and all of the disparaging comments about these two brands that they are still in business and seem to be quite successful. Given the prices and all of the negative comments I’m really surprised that they are as popular as they are.

Are you joking Peter? Negative comments on WBF affecting popularity of cables? ;)

Curiously the situation with MIT and Transparent has changed along time - for a long time I have found that their top cables were in general very good, but the middle and lower ranges were not competitive. Nowadays their middle and lower prices represent excellent value for money and not only with high power solid state amplifiers, but also with most typical 50-100W middle price amplifiers.

caesar

May 30, 2010
So, for context for this thread, I am at RMAF this past year, in the Gryphon room, listening. And the sound is kind of dead. No dynamics, no emotion. If the system had any virtues, I couldn't tell any of them...

Then some cable-geek muther fuyer goes, let's try these MIT cables (I don't remember what they had in the system at that time). The MIT things cost like $60K or $70K, and have network boxes larger than most "environmentally-friendly" cars, like the Prious or the small tesla.

And WHAM!!! The music comes to life!!! Dynamics galore! Which then makes me notice the nice tonality of Gryphon class A virtues...

Still scratching my head about that experiences. And, no foreign substances that are legal in Colorado were involved in that experience.

Any explanations?

Thanks

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yes, the amplifiers where very unstable without a zobel on them.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
So, for context for this thread, I am at RMAF this past year, in the Gryphon room, listening. And the sound is kind of dead. No dynamics, no emotion. If the system had any virtues, I couldn't tell any of them...

Then some cable-geek muther fuyer goes, let's try these MIT cables (I don't remember what they had in the system at that time). The MIT things cost like $60K or $70K, and have network boxes larger than most "environmentally-friendly" cars, like the Prious or the small tesla.

And WHAM!!! The music comes to life!!! Dynamics galore! Which then makes me notice the nice tonality of Gryphon class A virtues...

Still scratching my head about that experiences. And, no foreign substances that are legal in Colorado were involved in that experience.

Any explanations?

Thanks
Explanation: cables make a difference, but your experience doesn't mean $60k MIT cables were the only way to bring that system to life.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing