Are Transports Obsolete?

It surprises me in this day and age that transports continue to be developed, and presumably sold. I know this has at least been in part to the physical media aspects of spinning one's CD library. Also, Transports, particularly of the cost no object variety, can be more 'sexy' than servers.

We 'know' that server technology has, for all intents and purposes, eclipsed transports in the last few years, but the best of the best transports continue to garner enthusiasm if not raves from some reviewers that I really respect.

Are there any out there that, having bought a server, have recently been drawn back or towards the world of transports?
What is your server and why and what transports have you or are you reconsidering?

Last edited:

CD TRANSPORTS - END OF AN ERA FOR MSB​

Matt

Last edited:
Transports aren’t obsolete so long as they are needed. However, at this time, don’t expect much R&D to occur with that technology.
My understanding is that CD/SACD media are still very much 'in' in Japan, which seems to be where most of the transport/player investment remains at a fairly high level (e.g., Esoteric, Luxman, Accuphase, etc, and others not distributed outside of Asian markets).

Reactions: Addicted to hifi
My understanding is that CD/SACD media are still very much 'in' in Japan, which seems to be where most of the transport/player investment remains at a fairly high level (e.g., Esoteric, Luxman, Accuphase, etc, and others not distributed outside of Asian markets).

As far I have read it is also a cultural question. BTW, the brands you refer are well distributed in Europe.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi
There are 2 issues that affect file playback/streaming:

1) when tracks within an album/folder play consecutively one after another, there is significant degradation of sound in the way soundstaging collaspe and many subtle musical details are not being reproduced. This problem arises due to memory retention in playback software/hardware. The way to avoid this problem is to exit the album/folder before the current track (let's say track 1) ends, go to another album/folder to select a track to play it briefly (less than 10secs is ok) and then exit to go back to the original folder to play that track that comes next (track 2). By doing this, track 2 will sound open and dynamic with fully blosoomed soundstaging. OTOH, by allowing track 2 to be played consecutively after track 1 ends, track 2 will sound dulled and closed-in, with a sense of impediment being introduced to the flow of musical ease. If one enjoy listening to an entire album from beginning to end with consistent sound quality, file playback / streaming is not ideal

2) a lot of DACs have problem dealing with sampling rate changes as tracks with different sampling rates are played right after one and another. Frankly, I only began to notice this after upgrading to a streamer with higher res capability. previously with a streamer that peaks out at 44.1khz when I play normal tidal files or tidal MQA files. That's when the problem starts. I starts to hear audible artefacts when sampling rate changes, especially quite common when playing tracks from a recommended playlist. The problem with Tidal is that, even within an entire studio album by an artiste, there could possibly with sample rate changes! I notice this happening with both the meitner dacs, with some blu-ray players streaming files off storage devices, and with soundbars streaming from Tidal/Qobuz. It could possibly be an industry-wide problem.

I have no such “memory retention “ problems that you mention. I don’t see how that’s even an issue or an actual occurrence.
I have found that playlists on streaming services pull the same songs sometimes from different albums, which might have different bit rates and do sound different.

Transports aren’t obsolete so long as they are needed. However, at this time, don’t expect much R&D to occur with that technology.
Not everything needs further R&D, particularly things that perform basic functions like transports and turntables. Has 60+ years of R&D improved high end turntables for example? Maybe. Yet there are audiophiles whose ears tell them the 50’s and 60’s idler wheel Garrards sound better than today’s top offerings and pay thousands on plinths and restoration.

As far I have read it is also a cultural question. BTW, the brands you refer are well distributed in Europe.
Apologize for not being clear. Meant to say that there are some very fine units pretty much confined to Japanese and Asian markets that are not well known elsewhere. These are separate from well known Esoteric, Luxman, Accuphase, etc, brands that have wide international distribution.

Not everything needs further R&D, particularly things that perform basic functions like transports and turntables. Has 60+ years of R&D improved high end turntables for example? Maybe. Yet there are audiophiles whose ears tell them the 50’s and 60’s idler wheel Garrards sound better than today’s top offerings and pay thousands on plinths and restoration.
The world of subjectivity.. it would be quite boring without it

(...)
Here is an alternative theory (which also sounds in a strong generational difference): maybe, for some, it is not about having physical media to handle, but rather the knowledge that we own the physical media -- while we don't own anything by streaming? Maybe it is the psychological satisfaction of knowing that we possess and own the music we love which causes us to value physical media -- and manually handling the physical media reminds us of our possession and ownership of it.

Probably for some people, but for me it is strictly handling, not owning. Handling takes time, we know where the media is stored and when we got it, we browse efficiently among music we love, not meaningless suggestions of the streamer engine. I can visually sweep a full shelve in a few seconds, going through the equivalent tablet pages is not attractive for me.

Reactions: Al M. and dan31
Probably for some people, but for me it is strictly handling, not owning. Handling takes time, we know where the media is stored and when we got it, we browse efficiently among music we love, not meaningless suggestions of the streamer engine.
Sure, except when the particular item is at the wrong house. And my streamer makes no suggestions but merely responds to my commands.
I can visually sweep a full shelve in a few seconds, going through the equivalent tablet pages is not attractive for me.
Understood. I do that at flea markets.

FWIW, I use transports only for ripping.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing