"Are you sure?" -- Worst computer invention ever!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So this is not a tutorial but a bit of a rant. Why do so many computer programs ask you "are you sure" when you ask it to do something? I asked the program to do that. Right? The computer is dumber than a dog when it comes to its ability to think. Right? Then why in the heck does it claim to know better than I do when I ask it to do something? Yes darn it. Do as I ask!

I remember my first job in the television broadcast industry managing R&D for a company that built hardware for that market. We had a device that generated computer graphics/Text ("CG") that you see superimposed on your television programming. I was talking to the developer and was surprised that it let you delete things without above confirmation. I had never seen anything like it in the computer world. So I asked him if the customers were not upset that there was no confirmation. Answer was that if there was a confirmation they would shoot you! I asked why. He said that if they mistype something in prime time and someone catches it, they need to fix it in a millisecond. There is no time to confirm yes or know when they try to delete the text.

That got me thinking. Why do programs insist on a confirmation? Answer is simple: the developer is too lazy to provide another feature -- the undo! Think about it. If you can undo any action, then it doesn't matter if the user made a mistake. They can hit undo and correct it. If we had unlimited undo, then there would never be the need to ever ask for confirmation.

So I asked the development team to put unlimited undo in the hardware we were building. I got lucky that one of my new hires was from the computer industry and jumped on the task without hesitation. And he built the mother of all undo systems. You could have had the machine up for a week, hitting every button and changing every configuration. By hitting undo you could go back to when you first turned on the machine!

The product got released and that feature became quite a hit. People had never felt such freedom. It is like having a video DVR. Once you have it, you don't know how you lived without it.

Fast forward to now. I am a multi-tasker when it comes to browsing. I usually have 10 to 20 tabs in my browser open to various sites and locations within them. As some of you know, my favorite browser is Chrome. As with other browsers, it thankfully lets you close a tab without the confirmation. But unlike IE for example, it has a feature to re-open that tab if you closed it by accident! Simply right click to the right of your tabs and select "Re-open closed tab" or control-shift-T and it brings that page back as if you had never closed it! Undo for the browser world!

The above is pretty trivial to implement as compared to the undo feature of the broadcast equipment but it is a great time server relative to searching in the history. Worry-free browsing! :D

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Worst computer invention ever?? Pro Tools... can we say PROPRIETARY!!!

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Amir, you'd like UNIX. To delete a file, just type rm <filename>. No questions, no fuss. (Supplying the -i argument will ask you for confirmation.)

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
The Chrome undo is a nice feature. If you close Chrome and open it again and press Ctrl+Shift+t all your previous tabs will open up. This is also a quick way to check the history of a coworker. :)

Morbius

May 29, 2010
Amir, you'd like UNIX. To delete a file, just type rm <filename>. No questions, no fuss. (Supplying the -i argument will ask you for confirmation.)
Rich,

Actually it depends on how the Unix system is configured. For example, the Linux systems on the supercomputers where I work are all configured to ask for confirmation if you enter only "rm".

So I've aliased "rm" to "rm -f"; the "-f" flag is the "force" flag which overrides the need for the confirmation.

"rm -f" is a sure kill. "rm -i" is a sure 2nd chance and "rm" alone depends on how the system is configured.

Greg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As an old Unix programmer, don't know how I missed this comment :). Unix was not only that way, but also the most non-verbose operating system known to man! And of course, it had no undo.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Personally, I think the worst computer invention started before the concept even began. That being the user.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Did you guys experienced some anomalies today from your PCs?

* I had to reset mine as it was totally disfunctional!
No relevant replies, Bob, so perhaps it was just your beast! Were you suspecting a runaway virus perhaps?

The only thing yesterday was that connection to the forum was a bit erratic: sometimes fine, then grinding quite a bit ...

Frank

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Why do programs insist on a confirmation? Answer is simple: the developer is too lazy to provide another feature -- the undo! Think about it. If you can undo any action, then it doesn't matter if the user made a mistake.

I not sure why this isn't obvious, but some operations are destructive and cannot be easily undone - like disc formatting, and there are many others (think rm -rf /)... Is this thread about how lazy programmers are, or about their lack of usability? Coz I have lots of examples of those...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I not sure why this isn't obvious, but some operations are destructive and cannot be easily undone - like disc formatting, and there are many others (think rm -rf /)... Is this thread about how lazy programmers are, or about their lack of usability? Coz I have lots of examples of those...
My issue isn't with the few rare operations that may require confirmation but the many that do and shouldn't. Why is it that I can't shut down my PC because word is insisting on me saying if I want a scratch doc that I opened "saved?" Everything should be saved. Every file should have revisions that I can keep going back to find.

Any time technology makes us understand its limits to use it, something is not designed right! :) The rm -rf / is a good example. I am required to think that removing all the system files is a bad thing. Really? Why should it ever remove the operating system I am running to perform that function? That function should be relegated to a different command than the one everyone uses for everyday use.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Any time technology makes us understand its limits to use it, something is not designed right! :) The rm -rf / is a good example. I am required to think that removing all the system files is a bad thing. Really? Why should it ever remove the operating system I am running to perform that function? That function should be relegated to a different command than the one everyone uses for everyday use.
I'm with you on this, Amir. The cursing over the years at the poor video screen by myself is extensive; but the answer is not the poor programmers, but the bean counters. There was this laughable notion back in the 80's that by 2000 the role of the conventional programmer would have been made redundant -- yeah, right ...

Of course, it could have been done, but the industry became fixated on "prettiness", and "bells and whistles", rather than true functionality. It's now picked up some steam again, but really the software industry is about 10 - 15 years behind where it should have been by now ...

Frank

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Toss up between UAC (aka User Annoyance Center) and wizards that whiz all over you never quit setting up what you really intended. So you do it manually with the system trying to help every step of the way.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oh yes, the UAC. I think of them as the hassle going through at the airport. Know why it is there but nevertheless, aggravating.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Having dug deep into it in recent weeks (a long sad story), I would beg to differ. SharePoint is, hands down, the worst computer invention ever. Absolutely the worst piece of "professional" software I've ever experienced. Amir, if you know anyone who worked on that development team, please tell them to find a new vocation.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing