bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
wow! that is very sad.

i will really miss his writing. always a highlight. i started reading Art as a Listener subscriber. his passing will leave a gaping hole in my audio touch points.

RIP, Art.

Reactions: jeff1225

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Part of a tribute from Stereophile: https://www.stereophile.com/content/art-dudley-rest-peace.

Art's passing is a loss not just to Stereophile but to the worlds of audio and music. (Art was a gifted bluegrass guitarist and contributed for some years to Fretboard Journal magazine.) He will be missed, but his writings live on: You can find everything he wrote for Stereophile here, a video profile here and a video conversation about Listener magazine with Herb Reichert here.

Art, thank you for all you did for Stereophile.—John Atkinson

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
Sorry to hear this. Some of his writings certainly influenced my audiophile journey. RIP Art Dudley.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Art challenged many conventions over the years, but more importantly his love of music and humour always came through.
RIP Art.

ChristopherBell

Sep 6, 2018
This is so sad. I was a Listener subscriber and enjoyed Art's writings and YouTube videos. Such a gentle sole. Rest In Peace.

Reactions: Dthagerty@aol.com

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
This is super sad news. Art Dudley was far and away my favorite audio writer. Unlike so many audio journalists, I felt he had something to say outside of the usual audio cliche - palpable soundstages and such. He could actually write.... he was a writer. He was also one of the few magazine personalities that seemed to care more about music than stereo sound system effects.
I doubt that I would have thought to try a 50 year old Garrard turntable if it weren’t for Art Dudley....

He actually wrote about bluegrass, SET amps, and horn speakers. How crazy is that? My gosh, I am really going to miss reading his stuff... RIP AD

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
We will miss his great column at Stereophile. RIP.

denimhunter

Apr 9, 2020
It’s sad to hear the passing of Art Dudley.
I will miss his writings. I have been reading his work since the Listener days. He seemed more interested in good music than many ‘reviewers’ And he appreciates good sound beyond the commercial hype that surround so much of the audio industry. He was prepared to write about small artisan manufacturer such as 47Labs and Shindo. I was convinced he was the one who enabled Voxativ Ampeggio, a full range driver/speaker to get the 2011 Stereophile component of the year, an extremely unusual choice for Stereophile who favour mainstream commercial non-fi.
He influenced my decision to use EMT 997 tonearm with external armboard. A magnificent but underrated tonearm.
RIP Art..

Reactions: jeff1225

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Wow this is so sad as to hear.
His columns were always the first thing that I would read in Stereophile.
Will miss his writing.
RIP

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
What a great life he must have lived.... Doing what he truly seemed to love most for a living. We should all be so fortunate. RIP, Art Dudley.

Reactions: bonzo75

Bob Heinatz

Jun 21, 2010
Always has been my favorite since discovering the Listener. Always reviewed interesting audio. Art got me into the single driver speakers.

Reactions: denimhunter

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
It is so sad.
Since the Listener days I followed him.
I used Idler wheel record players and Lowther horns for years because of his recomendations.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing