AS Aquilar + Koetsu

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Looking at moving up in the tonearm world from my Ikeda 407. I use Stonebody Koetsus. Anyone have any thoughts on the Acoustical Systems Aquilar in conjunction with the Koetsus?

RaceDoc

Sep 11, 2017
Germany
Hi "advanced101",

a really upgrade to the Ikeda would be choosing the ViV Rigid Float.
So far I have compared not one cartridge in different tonearms which
was not bettered by this "crazy constructed" tonarm.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In an interview with hi-fi in 2014 Dietrich Brakemeierth, founder of Acoustical Systems, said:

In terms of tone arm design there’s only one person whom I really admire because his work was not influenced by any audio perspective but by pure mechanical engineering and its consequence. And that is Isamu Ikeda a Japanese engineer and founder of Fidelity Research and later Ikeda Sound Labs who in my perspective invented 40 years ago a tone arm design that has stood the test of time. It has proved, in my opinion, that until late last year it has been on par with any design that followed it. [meaning his Axiom is the only tonearm which has improved upon Isamu's work]

http://www.avhub.com.au/features/hi-...systems-395228

I do not know if the Aquilar was designed with the Fidelity Research in the forefront of Dietrich's mind as apparently the Axiom was, but, purely based on Dietrich's views, I would think the Aquilar would be a good match for any heavy-ish and low compliance cartridge.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Reviving this thread. Anyone have any updates concerning the Aguilar being used with a Koetsu? I am going to listen to the Aguilar in a few months at a dealer in Pennsylvania. Before I get cabin fever and just throw money around, want to make sure it’s a worthwhile investment. Not ruling out the Axiom either.

My visit is coinciding with the annual Ford Nationals where Shelbys and Ford GTs get to show off. So, two fun events on one trip.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
You can get the Aquilar in 10" and 12" version,
Personally I do prefer Koetsu on a more heavy arm, so the 12"Aquilar is the only way to go.
10" is more like SME V in terms of effective mass.

Reactions: advanced101

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
You can get the Aquilar in 10" and 12" version,
Personally I do prefer Koetsu on a more heavy arm, so the 12"Aquilar is the only way to go.
10" is more like SME V in terms of effective mass.
Thank you for the reply. Reading through the literature for the Aquilar, it seems that it offers a great range of cartridge variability. This is a key point of interest to me. From 5.2 to 30 grams balanced range regardless of tonearm length, but the compliance of the Jade, for example, is 5, which is not good with the 10”, and barely good with the 18.8 effective mass of the 12” arm, . So your sentiment is sadly on point.

Effective moving mass net:
10” = 11.4 grams 12” = 18,8 grams
• Inner wiring: soft aged pure silver litz wire
• Resistance inner wiring: 0.9 Ohms/m
• Capacitance inner wiring: 25 pF/m
• Cartridge weight balanced:
5.2 to 30 grams

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Koetsu reports compliance at 100 Hz. If we translate that to 10 Hz we are looking at around 7.5 conservatively. With 18.8g for the arm, 12.5g for the cartridge, and 1.3g for some brass screws you are looking at a reasonant frequency of 10.17 Hz, not bad. I was considering the Aquilar 12" at one point, still might eventually go that route.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Koetsu reports compliance at 100 Hz. If we translate that to 10 Hz we are looking at around 7.5 conservatively. With 18.8g for the arm, 12.5g for the cartridge, and 1.3g for some brass screws you are looking at a reasonant frequency of 10.17 Hz, not bad. I was considering the Aquilar 12" at one point, still might eventually go that route.
It is high on my list for sure. According to the distributor, the 12" will mount on a 9" SME mount, which makes it even more appealing to me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing