AS Seasoned Audiophiles, What Have You Learned?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
It's been a while since I've posted here and lots of things have happened in our lives and in the world in the past couple years. I've had more time to curate my records and acquire more obscure jazz and the occasional proto-metal/heavy rock record. I think the Tone Poets are a must buy and the Chad Verve/uME series are both great, as is the BN 80 series.
I'm well settled into Texas, my main system sounds better than ever and I've spent the last couple years sourcing some hard to find spiritual and soul jazz. I've also learned not to worry about unimportant stuff. Yes, we benefit from the obsessive attention to detail in things like cartridge set up, but at a certain point, I just want to turn on the system and play music. I still have a few road trips in me, both in the States and abroad (I guess that's not exactly a "road" trip). I've stayed in touch with a couple people here over the years, but have been remiss in not posting--- I guess I'm less interested in the gear at this point and more interested in the records, their history and the back-story.
I'm still teaching- having a blast with that, and still do occasional work as an expert (I was a copyright guru). I guess what I've learned is how little I know. I want to take a tour to hear vintage horns- Mirrorphonic, a visit to David's, like that. But my "new" room has been great, it is much larger, and the combo of longer room, dual 15" servo subs, and stone bodied Koetsus has given my system some gravitas that it lacked. I'm a big fan of Cecil McBee's, so I try to pick up any record he is recorded on. Double bass sounds convincing and I really enjoy the small combo, post-bop stuff from the early '70s.
I'm also still doing stuff on cleaning. I don't think you met Neil Antin except through Tim's posts on his cleaning process evolution. Neil has helped me learn a lot. I'm currently starting work on another project involving the historical relationships in film/TV music, which, while purely academic, satisfies my itch. I guess in my next life, I'd love to be an archivist. Who knew librarians were such cool people?
Austin is fun, it is really f**cking hot here in the summer-- we were averaging 110 peak real temps this summer for over 60 days.
I'm almost ready for my next adventure.
Hope all of you have been well.
Bill Hart

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It's been a while since I've posted here and lots of things have happened in our lives and in the world in the past couple years. I've had more time to curate my records and acquire more obscure jazz and the occasional proto-metal/heavy rock record. I think the Tone Poets are a must buy and the Chad Verve/uME series are both great, as is the BN 80 series.
I'm well settled into Texas, my main system sounds better than ever and I've spent the last couple years sourcing some hard to find spiritual and soul jazz. I've also learned not to worry about unimportant stuff. Yes, we benefit from the obsessive attention to detail in things like cartridge set up, but at a certain point, I just want to turn on the system and play music. I still have a few road trips in me, both in the States and abroad (I guess that's not exactly a "road" trip). I've stayed in touch with a couple people here over the years, but have been remiss in not posting--- I guess I'm less interested in the gear at this point and more interested in the records, their history and the back-story.
I'm still teaching- having a blast with that, and still do occasional work as an expert (I was a copyright guru). I guess what I've learned is how little I know. I want to take a tour to hear vintage horns- Mirrorphonic, a visit to David's, like that. But my "new" room has been great, it is much larger, and the combo of longer room, dual 15" servo subs, and stone bodied Koetsus has given my system some gravitas that it lacked. I'm a big fan of Cecil McBee's, so I try to pick up any record he is recorded on. Double bass sounds convincing and I really enjoy the small combo, post-bop stuff from the early '70s.
I'm also still doing stuff on cleaning. I don't think you met Neil Antin except through Tim's posts on his cleaning process evolution. Neil has helped me learn a lot. I'm currently starting work on another project involving the historical relationships in film/TV music, which, while purely academic, satisfies my itch. I guess in my next life, I'd love to be an archivist. Who knew librarians were such cool people?
Austin is fun, it is really f**cking hot here in the summer-- we were averaging 110 peak real temps this summer for over 60 days.
Bill Hart
Hey Bill,
It’s been a very long while good to hear from you and see you’re doing well! You’ve been threatening a visit for a very long while time to make good on it.

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hello Bill,

I do not think I have learned much as a “seasoned audiophile”. But, I have learned one very important thing: I know what I want, I have a target, and I think I know how to get there.

This led to a complete re-thinking of my system and set up. I am pretty much now finished, and like you, I’m focusing on listening to music. I am pretty much done with searching for gear.

I have made the trip to visit David in Utah two times. I assure you, it is worth the effort. I suspect you will learn something and have a great time.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello Bill and welcome back! Here's what I have learned;

Music is the most important thing
Money means nothing in this hobby
Some great systems on paper sound like crap
There have been some great strides in DAC technology
Everything affects everything
Elevated subs (especially with 2 - dual 15" DS subs) makes a big difference
There is no replacement for displacement
The best way to enjoy a digital reproduction is to never listen to an analogue reproduction
Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured
Speakers that are taller than you really tax your back when moving them
The rabbit hole is endless

Tom

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
as one who is as all in on vinyl playback and appreciating the music on vinyl as anyone, it's too bad we have to denigrate digital to celebrate vinyl.

yet if that is what we need to do, to enjoy Bill back among us, then it's all good. now is not the time, this is not the place, to get defensive about it.

welcome back Bill. glad life is good and your music is wonderful.:) and happy life in Austin is agreeing with you. btw; in Seattle we had no rain for 4 months, and on October 15th it was 88 degrees....in Seattle.

and i have learned that music is where you find it. make sure you listen.

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Thank you Mike and thanks to everybody here for the warm welcome back.
I've followed some of your adventures by lurking here and seeing posts on the 'Gon.
I can't honestly say I'm no longer a gear-head-- I mean why post in a place like this if you aren't, right?
But it is the convergence of the engineering and mechanical arts with the music that fascinates. I've always had a passion for both, even though my technical skills are limited. One of my favorite records, Alice Coltrane's Ptah, has finally been reissued on vinyl after remaining strangely dormant for years (1974). I have little doubt that the new reissue comes from a digital file, but at least it's out there again (finally). Have not bought the new version, let alone done any comparisons with the OG, which is now hard to find. A wonderful record if you have it.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Thank you Mike and thanks to everybody here for the warm welcome back.
I've followed some of your adventures by lurking here and seeing posts on the 'Gon.
I can't honestly say I'm no longer a gear-head-- I mean why post in a place like this if you aren't, right?
But it is the convergence of the engineering and mechanical arts with the music that fascinates. I've always had a passion for both, even though my technical skills are limited. One of my favorite records, Alice Coltrane's Ptah, has finally been reissued on vinyl after remaining strangely dormant for years (1974). I have little doubt that the new reissue comes from a digital file, but at least it's out there again (finally). Have not bought the new version, let alone done any comparisons with the OG, which is now hard to find. A wonderful record if you have it.
Bill, I can certainly understand your enthusiasm for Alice Coltrane’s Ptah. I just discovered it a couple weeks ago via streaming, and it’s on my frequent replay list. I will be ordering the vinyl for sure.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Bill, I can certainly understand your enthusiasm for Alice Coltrane’s Ptah. I just discovered it a couple weeks ago via streaming, and it’s on my frequent replay list. I will be ordering the vinyl for sure.
Cool The second track, "Turiya and Ramakrishna," is the one that stuns me. Her piano work is meticulous and deft at around the 2 minute mark, it speeds up, she's like a whirling dervish and you can hear the ambience of the room. It was recorded in the family's basement studio, which was not finished when John passed away. She did a bunch of albums in a short period, then entered an Ashram for years.

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
I've learned that "simpler is better". And soon, will be making some changes to the system that will make it quite a bit simpler.

Geinrich Altschuler was right with his conception of theTheory of Ideality as a key foundation for TRIZ (Theory of Inventive Problem Solving).

1668232902235.png

Reactions: the sound of Tao

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
as one who is as all in on vinyl playback and appreciating the music on vinyl as anyone, it's too bad we have to denigrate digital to celebrate vinyl.
<snip>
Mike, please accept my apologies for the perceived notion that I was denigrating digital or any other format/source. That was not my intention. I listen to many formats/reproductive types daily.
and i have learned that music is where you find it. make sure you listen.
Amen to THAT! ;)

Tom

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
It’s easy to lose your way in this hobby. I started out wanting to build a system that would give me better access to music and for some time I spent time chasing building systems that just gave me better hifi moments. I’m back on track now with a system that simply helps me access better music in the very best way possible for me.

I’ve largely stopped comparing components and now spend more time comparing performances. This week I’ve been working through shortlisting some of the better performances of Bach’s sonatas and partitas for solo violin. Apparently Bach was very much the gifted violinist as well as being the most extraordinary amongst composers. At this stage I’ve got it down to Henryk Szeryng and Arthur Grumiaux as perhaps my old school flag bearers and James Ehnes and Hilary Hahn out of the more current offerings. It’s a tough (brutal) final cut :eek: … though feeling Szeryng and Ehnes might be in the final playoffs.

Don’t get me wrong I love the way my system can sound but more because it makes being focussed in the music simply more possible for me. I guess what I’ve learnt is that we each find our own way and in the end we then find our own destinations.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I'm also still doing stuff on cleaning. I don't think you met Neil Antin except through Tim's posts on his cleaning process evolution. Neil has helped me learn a lot.

Hey Bill - thanks for posting, nice to hear from you. Neil participates here and continues helping audiophiles with all things things related to record cleaning. A big thank you for hosting his publications.

As a seasoned audiophile I learned about Mirrorphonic from reading your post ! Having made the trip to David's with Peter last spring I can heartily vouch for the value of making that trip. David is a wonderful host with the acumen and knowledge of hundreds of seasoned audiophiles.

Nice to hear of your focus on music and interest in its history and all that surrounds its world. Come back sooner, I enjoy reading your posts!

Reactions: ddk and Neil.Antin

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Bill Hart
This post and thread resonates with me to the core on many levels

Reactions: Bill Hart

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I guess I meant to add (it doesn't appear that I did) that I'm still a gearhead at heart, otherwise why would I be posting on this site-- not to accuse any of you of being gearheads (which meant, when I was a kid, you had a 57 Chevy wagon that was jacked up and wore a WWI Helmet with a spike).
Don't take that the wrong way. I was brought up in Pittsburgh, when it was still a steeltown.

Reactions: Neil.Antin

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Most moves are lateral.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
It’s easy to lose your way in this hobby. I started out wanting to build a system that would give me better access to music and for some time I spent time chasing building systems that just gave me better hifi moments. I’m back on track now with a system that simply helps me access better music in the very best way possible for me.

I’ve largely stopped comparing components and now spend more time comparing performances. This week I’ve been working through shortlisting some of the better performances of Bach’s sonatas and partitas for solo violin. Apparently Bach was very much the gifted violinist as well as being the most extraordinary amongst composers. At this stage I’ve got it down to Henryk Szeryng and Arthur Grumiaux as perhaps my old school flag bearers and James Ehnes and Hilary Hahn out of the more current offerings. It’s a tough (brutal) final cut :eek: … though feeling Szeryng and Ehnes might be in the final playoffs.

Don’t get me wrong I love the way my system can sound but more because it makes being focussed in the music simply more possible for me. I guess what I’ve learnt is that we each find our own way and in the end we then find our own destinations.
I would like to get more into classical but haven't a clue as to what performers/recordings are worth the investment. I have blindly bought LPs of music by composers I like, probably chosen because of attractive covers, and been disappointed. Your insight from trial and error helps me save money and time so thank you. I very much appreciate your sharing on this forum.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing