ASR Emitter I & II

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Been thinking of SS amps again, i havent heard the ASR Emiiter but the more reveiws i read and the shorter my list gets more roads lead back to the Emitter than most others in my price range $7-10k new or used. the Emitter I has enough power for my application, i dont think i need or want the battery supply of the exclusive. i like the fact i can ditch a preamp as i only use two sources max (currently just one). I'm driving joseph audo pulsars and quad 57's. i'm interested in hearing feedback from current and past users, if you had one then sold it what didnt you like, pitfalls, reliabilty issues, etc.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Been thinking of SS amps again, i havent heard the ASR Emiiter but the more reveiws i read and the shorter my list gets more roads lead back to the Emitter than most others in my price range $7-10k new or used. the Emitter I has enough power for my application, i dont think i need or want the battery supply of the exclusive. i like the fact i can ditch a preamp as i only use two sources max (currently just one). I'm driving joseph audo pulsars and quad 57's. i'm interested in hearing feedback from current and past users, if you had one then sold it what didnt you like, pitfalls, reliabilty issues, etc.

I reviewed the early unit and thought it was very nice back then. I don't know what changes have been incorporated into the newest models but the areas I thought it was a little short of ultimate included being a little soft in the upper octaves making it a little dark sounding and a little too smooth. Dynamics were another thing but I think some of my concerns were more related to at that time the unit really not having adequate gain for the cartridge I was using. That wouldn't and wasn't as much of an issue with digital IIRC.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I have been using an ASR Basis Exclusive phono stage for years. I believe it is circa 2005. I also believe the newest units have a slight circuit change, which is comprised mostly of a newer main chip. I inquired what the upgrade would cost from the importer and it was over $100 so I bought the chip myself and installed it for about $3. Let me say this. I have owned a great many products. Lots of ARC, Rowland, Krell, Pass, Levinson etc. I am now running a VTL 7.5 III preamp and Siegfried amps. No product, I repeat, no product, has given me more pleasure than the ASR phonostage. I think it's a killer. It replaced the ARC reference unit of the day and I have not looked back.

Look, audio gear falls in and out of favor with every new cover of every issue of TAS or Stereophile. To the astute consumer, there could very well be SOA gear lurking around from a few years ago that is every bit competitive with what is being reviewed today, but for one reason or other, has fallen out of favor (bad importer? distributor? etc?). I think this is the case with ASR. Their gear is stupendous and its no surprise that HP once raved about the phono stage. I think in many cases, you can grab an ASR piece of gear at a very affordable price and consider it a whopping purchase. In many ways, this is as good as solid state gets. Quiet as anything made. No AC line noise is half the key. Great design is the other. That nobody really carries this gear enthusiastically anymore is ASR's loss but your gain! They simply make great sounding; reliable as hell gear. I would think an Emitter I or II would be a perfect marriage with Quads. Everyone wants a solid state amp that doesn't sound like SS. Well, here you go! Let your ears be your guide.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Rob:

Like Marty I own the Basis Exclusiv phono stage (2008 version). In conversation with the previous distributor he expressed a preference for the Emitter I over the II.

I don't think anyone questions the sonic qualities of the ASR gear. The reason they are not popular here is the fact that they are awkward to deal with - essentially an integrated amp split among a lot of boxes. Even the phonostage has a massive battery power supply connected by a thick umbilical cable.

I once asked a Stereophile reviewer about the Emitter. He said he would have made it his reference but as a reviewer it wasn't practical. If you can get past the peculiarities of the ASR concept I think you will get an incredible sounding bargain.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
is there a huge difference between the battery and standard PS? im might get off the grid next year if we install solar panels, possibly making batteries/power regenerators a moot point.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I can only speak about the phono stage. The difference is obvious and profound. The battery power supply is so massive that there is no constriction of dynamics. I think the only way to run ASR gear is off the grid.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
is there a huge difference between the battery and standard PS? im might get off the grid next year if we install solar panels, possibly making batteries/power regenerators a moot point.
You might also qualify for the proposed "Green Energy Audio Improvement Tax Credit." Of course, that depends on the outcome in November.*

*Non-political statement by inference disclaimer. :)

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
battery!

Been thinking of SS amps again, i havent heard the ASR Emiiter but... i dont think i need or want the battery supply of the exclusive.

I believe you would omit the greatest advantage of this gear if you don't use the battery! I have heard the I and it gets things right.I personnally use Audio Consulting MIPA, similar starting point..

E

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I do not have any direct experience with it, but as an Integrated amp follower it is on my list making company with the Einstein, Acoustic Plan Sitar, Jadis DA88 and Gryphon Diablo.

Glory

Oct 28, 2011
Destin, FL.
I have the '05 Emitter 1 Exclusive with battery.

Put the right AC/IC to open it up and you have a world class amp. The Stage 111 Minotaur cable on the ASR and Stage 111 Mingus Prime take the dark slow charactor away. It needs fast and extended cables. Also the Stillpoints Ultra SS help in this matter.

This amp takes time to get right and is not a plug and play amp. The battery is a must.

David

Aug 11, 2012
hello
which loudspeakers are for you the best choice to match with an ASR 1 or 2 ?
for the best sound synergy ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing