Aesthetix Io Users Group

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
My Io Signature sounds very balanced top to bottom. If you load your cartridge to low I would think you could sense more mid to bottom. I use both xlr and rca outputs. I could tune the sound by just changing interconnects. Cardas Golden Cross, Neutral reference or Harmonic Technology magic link II and Prosilkway iii+. I have some Audience Au24 se cable as well. I am loading my Lyra at 1000 ohms.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
I too do not find the Io balance dark or weighted to mids and bass. I get plenty of high frequency from it (symbols, gong splashes, overtones of instruments). One thing I have noticed with tube gear is that good cables with silver wire brings a more natural balance. Have tried several kinds of cables and settled on Nordost for most of my gear.

Ditto what the other mentioned about cartridge loading. Even check tracking force to make sure it is correct.

Reactions: audioquest4life

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Io vs digital 1-0
Having listened a lot to digital from the Teac NT-505 the last weeks, including my dsd recordings from my LPs (with the Io in the chain), and using words like "nice", "coming along" and "good" of the NT-505 in my audio log book, I went back to playing LPs direct last night, and thought "wow, this is clearly better!". Even with a non-audiophile recording like Blue oyster cult: The symbol remains. From the sound of this recording you might imagine, the analog with Io direct, compared to digital, should play no role, no differerence. Yet it is there. I don't know why. But with the analog setup playing direct, I get engaged, and want to hear more of the music - while with digital, it remains so-so, even if the Teac is a big upgrade and the gap is now smaller in my system.

Reactions: Lagonda

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I have been using the Harmonic Technology Magic Link II xlr, with increased silver content. Very happy with this cable on the Io. I’m sure mega buck cables would show more but this is where I have stopped for now.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Jeffy, yes you said so before (post 105) - and I asked (post 111), what DAC could that be? So far, I have not heard a digital chain that fully reproduces the sound of the Io playing direct. I wonder if it exists. To me, it seems that flagship top level DACs (like Esotetic Grandioso) goes up to extreme prices to almost reach the best direct analog level. Maybe just my ignorance speaking, I haven't tried them! Since this thread is about the Io, not DACs, this is a bit off topic. Still it may be relevant for Io users. If the point is to capture the Io sound as well as possible, the ADC is more important than the DAC. Get the recording right (through the ADC), and you can get a better DAC later (with prices coming down). The Tascam DA-3000 is not a top of the line ADC, I am only saying,it works quite well, so you get a very real extra benefit from the Io, recording from vinyl. You can bring your recording along and play it from a small DAP. The three box Io stays where it is.

Regarding Io sound quality: well yes perhaps it is a little dark in my setup also, but it is not something that bothers me. Background tube noise was maybe a bit reduced, upgrading to eclipse, or maybe what I hear is the higher resolution, thereby in effect improving the signal-noise ratio. Anyway, the effect is that I can live with Telefunken NOS in the critical first stage even if they aren't super-quiet. Good news, since these are now very hard to find.

I have a simple test: First, listen to the Io without playing the LP, volume quite high, until you clearly hear the background noise. This is where you hear the tube noise, and maybe a bit of "cooking" sound. Next, at the same volume level, put down the cartridge carefully in between tracks or at the end of the LP (DON'T put it in a part with music recorded or you might ruin your speakers). This is where you will hear the background noise from the LP itself. Step three: compare the two. If the tube noise is louder than the LP noise, it is probably time for a tube change. Ideally it should be very low, in comparison, but this is hard to achieve (at least with NOS), and I can live with it, as long as it is "masked" by the background vinyl noise.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Io vs digital 1-0
Having listened a lot to digital from the Teac NT-505 the last weeks, including my dsd recordings from my LPs (with the Io in the chain), and using words like "nice", "coming along" and "good" of the NT-505 in my audio log book, I went back to playing LPs direct last night, and thought "wow, this is clearly better!". Even with a non-audiophile recording like Blue oyster cult: The symbol remains. From the sound of this recording you might imagine, the analog with Io direct, compared to digital, should play no role, no differerence. Yet it is there. I don't know why. But with the analog setup playing direct, I get engaged, and want to hear more of the music - while with digital, it remains so-so, even if the Teac is a big upgrade and the gap is now smaller in my system.

I am not sure you will be able to ever eradicate you detecting the digital aspect of music playing through a digital device when comparing A to B with same music. I only mention this because I feel if you grew up with analog and still have decent hearing I suspect that you are sensitive to the sound of digital or perceive it differently. I know a few state of of the art digital equipment (EMM labs comes to mind) makes a case for perfect sound forever...and newer tech is a thing up with the state of the art. Maybe one day, we will have an almost imperceptible sound between the two formats. Thats for another discussion forum section. The IO sounds wonderful and no other formats that I own compare to the way it sounds.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
I have been using the Harmonic Technology Magic Link II xlr, with increased silver content. Very happy with this cable on the Io. I’m sure mega buck cables would show more but this is where I have stopped for now.
Sounds like a great combo. What are the interconnects from the turntable to the IO and IO to preamp / amps? Are all of yours XL? I have Silver Breeze XLR from phono to IO. Audioquest (no affiliation with company...my alias is the lifelong audio journey perspective) Sky to preamp. I am considering a change. I too agree that silver adds a nice touch in the audio change.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Regarding cable in my system, I use a custom CH Acoustic silver over copper from my TT to the Io, HT magic link II xlr from the Io to Spectral DMC 30 SSv2 preamp. Preamp to amp is Spectral MIT rca and amp to speaker is Spectral MIT. I have no desire to change anything. I’m curious of other cable but I will not change anything.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Regarding cable in my system, I use a custom CH Acoustic silver over copper from my TT to the Io, HT magic link II xlr from the Io to Spectral DMC 30 SSv2 preamp. Preamp to amp is Spectral MIT rca and amp to speaker is Spectral MIT. I have no desire to change anything. I’m curious of other cable but I will not change anything.
I agree with you regarding having the right “recipe”’or “blend” of cables and not wanting to change the character of anything once you have it dialed in. But, curious as to your phono connection from turntable to the IO. Is that an XLR or RCA connection from your turntable to the IO? Does CH Acoustic still build custom cables? Thnx.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
My phono cable is rca to rca. My turntable is a Spiral Groove SG2, it has a block with RCA. There is an option for Lemo connectors if you want balanced out from the tone arm. Not sure on CH Acoustics. They are a small custom maker.

Last edited:

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Audioquest4life wrote

>I am not sure you will be able to ever eradicate you detecting the digital aspect of music playing through a digital device when comparing A to B with same music. I only mention this because I feel if you grew up with analog and still have decent hearing I suspect that you are sensitive to the sound of digital or perceive it differently.

I thank you for this advanced diagnosis - and you may be right! I have a bit of "old ears" accustomed to analog. However for a period I went all in for digital. It is true that I am very sensitive to digital glare and other noise. But before this came along, I had become sensitive to solid-state "glare" or "hifi" sound. Our ears have their own particular paths and experiences. Mainly we are two experienced listeners with the same experience. The Io sounds very good, and is a keeper, over the years.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Audioquest4life wrote

>I am not sure you will be able to ever eradicate you detecting the digital aspect of music playing through a digital device when comparing A to B with same music. I only mention this because I feel if you grew up with analog and still have decent hearing I suspect that you are sensitive to the sound of digital or perceive it differently.

I thank you for this advanced diagnosis - and you may be right! I have a bit of "old ears" accustomed to analog. However for a period I went all in for digital. It is true that I am very sensitive to digital glare and other noise. But before this came along, I had become sensitive to solid-state "glare" or "hifi" sound. Our ears have their own particular paths and experiences. Mainly we are two experienced listeners with the same experience. The Io sounds very good, and is a keeper, over the years.

Agree with you. I, like you, have experimented with other sources in the analog room. First, I had CDs, then SACD, and recently added a Blue Sound Node 2i for streaming. I like the multichannel SACD sound and play that through the AV system with the two main Channels going into the analog. The Streamer I use mostly to sample music that is written about in the forums, stereo reviews, when I hear a particular song from my favorite European Trance station Sunshine Live.de when I am working out, or just to play background music when I am working on the analog rig (rolling tubes, changing cartridge, arms, cleaning, or whatever). The streamer has allowed me to sample music in a bigger way compared to my Ipnone or IPad, LOL.

It’s easy to surf for a variety of global tunes with a streamer which most of the time prompts me to look for the music in analog. If not available in analog, at least I have it bookmarked to listen later.

For example, I read about Annette Askvik in the Analog Planet. She is a singer, songwriter and producer from Norway. https://www.facebook.com/AnetteAskvik/. I listened to a few songs of her in Tidal and now I am waiting on the album.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
RE: Phono cable
I have never tried balanced phono cable into the XLR contacts of the Io. Maybe, more fool me. I know that to my ears, generally, balanced connections sound better. What I have tried is my own DIY Kimber KCAG silver cable, compared to a few others, like Hovland - all of them single ended (rca plugs into the Io, from the DIN plug into the SME V arm). I am curious, if those of you using balanced cable from the tonearm, have experienced any clear sonic benefit, or not?

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
RE: Phono cable
I have never tried balanced phono cable into the XLR contacts of the Io. Maybe, more fool me. I know that to my ears, generally, balanced connections sound better. What I have tried is my own DIY Kimber KCAG silver cable, compared to a few others, like Hovland - all of them single ended (rca plugs into the Io, from the DIN plug into the SME V arm). I am curious, if those of you using balanced cable from the tonearm, have experienced any clear sonic benefit, or not?
I went the XLR route after using custom made (Silver Breeze) phono cables with silver WBTs. Over the years experimenting with different phono cables I started to notice that when plugging the WBT RCA connectors into the IO, that if the WBTs were not fully seated or fully locked I would get hum. It seemed to be more problematic during those times I am swapping cables more often. So, I went with the XLR version. I can’t say that I recall a lower noise floor or great difference in audibility of music, but, the XLR connection from SME V into IO is now the last cable in the chain that I worry about or get frustrated with when swapping cables around. It’s an easy plug and play, like normal RCAs. But, those WBTs can certainly be finicky. I still have some on other cables but the IO became sensitive to them, hence, my move to the XLr. Sound wise, the IO plays beautifully through the XLRs and generally speaking, XLRs have less capacitance. That’s my experience thus far.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I vaguely remember that Jim White once told me that he recommends that people use the XLR inputs on the Io. I have used the XLR phono inputs ever since.

Does anyone use Cardas Clear Beyond or Masterbuilt Ultra or Genesis Technologies' Absolute Fidelity phono cable with the Io?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Depending on the arm I have XLR or RCAs - too many variables to tell, however, it is not a game changer IMO.

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
I vaguely remember that Jim White once told me that he recommends that people use the XLR inputs on the Io. I have used the XLR phono inputs ever since.

Does anyone use Cardas Clear Beyond or Masterbuilt Ultra or Genesis Technologies' Absolute Fidelity phono cable with the Io?
Have not used none of those cables you mentioned. Interesting remark from Jim White recommending the use of XLR with the IO. I wonder why?

I looked up the Cardas Clear beyond and it looks like a reasonable custom made cable. The Masterbuilt Ultra I had researched last week and did not feel compelled to pay the price of admission. I am sure the Masterbuilt may sound great but only a few people will get to experience the top league versions. I believe they are priced above the Odins. I don’t see them mentioned often in various audio forums either. If you decide to get them, let us know how they sound.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Have not used none of those cables you mentioned. Interesting remark from Jim White recommending the use of XLR with the IO. I wonder why?

I looked up the Cardas Clear beyond and it looks like a reasonable custom made cable. The Masterbuilt Ultra I had researched last week and did not feel compelled to pay the price of admission. I am sure the Masterbuilt may sound great but only a few people will get to experience the top league versions. I believe they are priced above the Odins. I don’t see them mentioned often in various audio forums either. If you decide to get them, let us know how they sound.

I believe Jim thinks the XLR offers a more solid connection than RCA. The first stage is single ended so there is no obvious advantage from a circuit perspective.

Reactions: Lagonda

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
One of the best cables I have for tonearms is the XLR Hovland Music Groove. It is excellent for a "retro cable" it is also very flexible.

WIth the Kuzma wire is integral and silver based.

I use Cardas Clear beyond in several positions outside the phono cable in my system - it is a big winner on many fronts. It is the first Cardas cable I like and it is very competitive with the best out there now if it suits your sonic priorities. The CB has nothing to do with the clear - its not even close.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing